Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brexit
Rod Ends

posted on 25/6/16 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote

David Jenkins

posted on 25/6/16 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I see that the national reporting is as bad now as it was before the election - if you look at the prophet-of-doom news reporters, they are all panicking about the 'catastrophic drop' of FTSE100 and FTSE250. If you look at a 3-month graph of those you'll see that both were far lower in January 2016, but no-one felt inclined to panic then.

There was a sudden drop in value, which was not good, but it wasn't the total collapse the headlines suggest.

mark chandler

posted on 25/6/16 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
All that happened is a load of hedge funds backed the wrong horse and lost, the minority guessed right and made a packet.

Now it is all settling down everything will go back to near where it was, as you say look at the 6 month figures and suddenly it's not that bad.

woodster

posted on 25/6/16 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Where's George Osborne ??? Is he hiding under his kitchen table ?? ...........
mark chandler

posted on 25/6/16 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Breathing a sigh of relief, he can now say I could not delivery on my promises as you removed me
MikeRJ

posted on 25/6/16 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I see that the national reporting is as bad now as it was before the election - if you look at the prophet-of-doom news reporters, they are all panicking about the 'catastrophic drop' of FTSE100 and FTSE250. If you look at a 3-month graph of those you'll see that both were far lower in January 2016, but no-one felt inclined to panic then.

There was a sudden drop in value, which was not good, but it wasn't the total collapse the headlines suggest.

Exactly this, I'm really not impressed with the doom-mongering being spread by the media.

JoelP

posted on 25/6/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I'm overjoyed here, up all night in the truck listening to it unfold...

And I'm quite chuffed to see the power of the Sunderland people crashing the pound when the declaration was revealed

Glad I bought 3000 euros in Jan when they were 1.40...

However I do not see any problems as we go forward, currency will recover and stock markets will recover to go on making millions for the elite...

Only thing I worry about now is WHO can guide us in the right direction....

I'm very puzzled Coozer. I distinctly remember you celebrating when Thatcher died. Yet now you seem to support Farage, who is, in his own words, 'keeping the flame of thatcherism alive'. Have you had a political change of heart?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scootz

posted on 26/6/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
... i voted partly as a kick back at the Germans.

What are you kicking them back for?

It's Evolution Baby!

woodster

posted on 26/6/16 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I've always felt that as a rule people only really do anything that ultimately benefits them and really the main beneficiary of the Euro project was the Germans, that's why they champion it and mainly bankroll it and why wouldn't they ? They've got a huge captive market for their goods ? ...
woodster

posted on 26/6/16 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
https://euobserver.com/economic/125125
coozer

posted on 26/6/16 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I'm overjoyed here, up all night in the truck listening to it unfold...

And I'm quite chuffed to see the power of the Sunderland people crashing the pound when the declaration was revealed

Glad I bought 3000 euros in Jan when they were 1.40...

However I do not see any problems as we go forward, currency will recover and stock markets will recover to go on making millions for the elite...

Only thing I worry about now is WHO can guide us in the right direction....

I'm very puzzled Coozer. I distinctly remember you celebrating when Thatcher died. Yet now you seem to support Farage, who is, in his own words, 'keeping the flame of thatcherism alive'. Have you had a political change of heart?

Puzzled? About what?? I'm no fan of Farage but I do think he's funny...

Thatcher ruined our county closing all the pits and shipyards giving us nothing back and I was a labour supporter back then...

I have changed as the current Tory government have done me good with raising personal allowance and minimum wage. Also helped me get into my ltd company... Since ukip came on the scene I've been voting for our local candidate in the council elections as ive known him since school and he's a good lad. Our local incumbent labour council are smug and useless, looking after each other like a bunch of old folk on a day trip. They need a shock shakeup... Our mayorial car wears OGRI on the reg plate! How much did that cost??

I did vote for Cameroon in the last election but not sure which way to go in the future.

I voted leave because I don't like the federal EU and could only see it getting worse.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Steve126

posted on 26/6/16 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by Steve126
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

This just shows what a bloody idiot Susanna Reid is. She doesn't seem to understand that we have just had a referendum not a general election. Nobody voted for an individual, a party or an alternative government and the vote going the way you wanted doesn't put you in charge.

Farage didn't promise to spend £350million per week on the NHS and as he isn't in government (he isn't even an MP) he has no more control over the NHS budget than she does.

What makes it even more depressing is that most of the people who have commented on this on YouTube seem to be every bit as stupid as Susanna Reid is.

Easy tiger!

Although not an official member of the Leave campaign team, Farage was still one of the most prominent Brexit drummer-boys. Reid has EVERY right to discuss the (frankly ridiculous) poster campaign that was run by his allies. Look at it...

Are you telling me that the gullible - and there are feckin millions of them - wouldn't have been influenced somewhat by such a poster!?

And he doesn't need to be a MP, a Govt minister, or an NHS manager to be qualified to say during interview that it was complete and utter bullshit.

I didn't say she doesn't have the right to discuss the poster and I agree the poster is ridiculous, just as many of the claims made by the other side were ridiculous.

No, I'm not telling you that gullible people won't have been influenced by the poster. However, there are also gullible people on the other side - A woman on the news yesterday was upset that we are leaving the EU and said "There is going to be a war in Europe now. Was leaving the EU so important that it is worth us having to go to war?" She had clearly believed David Cameron's suggestion that us leaving the EU could lead to conflict in Europe. The idea that they only avoid killing each other because we are in the union with them seems rather insulting!

You have missed my point when you say that he doesn't need to be a government minister etc to say the poster is bullshit.

He said during a TV debate that Vote Leave were wrong to treat it like a general election making claims about what they would do and how money would be spent when it was nothing more than a referendum on whether we should leave the EU.

My point was that Reid either didn't know what she was talking about or exploited the situation to create a story. If you ask someone who doesn't control the nations finances if he can guarantee he will do a particular thing with the nations finances it is hardly a surprise when the answer is "no". She seemed to think the poster was his advert but it was the work of Vote Leave who refused to have anything to do with him, so why should he take the flack for their dodgy claims?

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/16 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
The main purpose of what is now the EU was to stop another war in Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries alone Germany speaking states and the French had been in major territorial wars with each other five times, three times started by the French and twice by what is now Germany with Austria. Austria amd what is now Italy had their own conflicts.
It is often forgotten but one of the main prime movers in establishment of what is now the EU was Winston Churchill.
In post WW2 Europe was on its' knees and there was a ruthless mad egotist in the Kremlin (nothing changes), in the 1950's although NATO had been established the relationship between the USA and the French was poor, post Suez the French pulled out of NATO, Franco US relations at one stage were so poor it came very close to shots being exchanged between US and French fighter jets.
In more recent times the USA has used Britains influence in the EU to stiffen the Europes comittment to defense and response to terrorism.

When out of the EU the UK will face having to defend Gibraltar again and Spannish sabre ratting over Gib may give the the Argies the courage to stir things up it the South Atlantic

[Edited on 27/6/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 27/6/16 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Its completely different the whole leave campaign has been based on false bullshit promises.

And so was the "Remain" campaign. Do you honestly believe everything that politicians tell you during political campaigns?

JoelP

posted on 27/6/16 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Sterling is now at a 31 year low against the dollar. This is just the effect of the turmoil, nothing to do with how messed up it will be when we actually see FDI collapse and a deep recession.

Experts said we'd be shafted, Gove said ignore them - guess what? We are shafted.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/16 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Sterling is now at a 31 year low against the dollar. This is just the effect of the turmoil, nothing to do with how messed up it will be when we actually see FDI collapse and a deep recession.

Experts said we'd be shafted, Gove said ignore them - guess what? We are shafted.

Gove not sleazy, just creepy!
I bet he got a hard time a school.....................................

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

BenB

posted on 27/6/16 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
My concern currently is the toxic mix of a power vacuum, a swing towards an inwards looking xenophobic stance and an economic downturn. If that's not a recipe for disaster then what is. I would mention a specific time when this occurred but it is allegedly the end of any sensible internet discussion...

You only have to look at the increase in race-related attacks / upswing in NF/IDL activity etc to see who is really trying to make the most of this situation and what kind of thinking was (at least in some cases) at the root of people's decision to vote Leave.

The whole leave campaign was about "them" and "us"- separating humans rather than unifying. About how "they" (EU) control what we can do, how "they" (migrants) take all our jobs/money/houses etc.

Sad times......

02GF74

posted on 27/6/16 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
At least we have the football to look forward too ..... oh wait a moment, weve just brexitted out of that too. Just need the queen to die for the icing on the cake.

Ivan

posted on 28/3/19 at 04:34 AM Reply With Quote
To use a South African expression - Ag shame guys - how's it going for you now? What a joke. Trust the politicians to screw it up right royally.
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/19 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Texan
I've been following closely. So tell this Texan what was THE issue that you think caused you guys to exit?

Much the same reason your president wants to build a big wall...

Some claim it was to do with EU policies (99% of people have no idea what EU polices even are) but really it's just there were so many foreigners getting in and reacting to scary headlines in the news. Same old

[Edited on 28/3/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 28/3/19 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
I've been following closely. So tell this Texan what was THE issue that you think caused you guys to exit?

Some claim it was to do with EU policies (99% of people have no idea what EU polices even are) but really it's just there were so many foreigners getting in and reacting to scary headlines in the news. Same old

Whilst that is clearly the case for some people I think it over simplifies things i.e just saying everyone who voted leave is xenophobic. The EU / UK relationship has been pretty toxic for some time, as shown by even the most pro EU parties not standing up and publicly stating they support what the EU is trying to achieve.

Also successive UK governments have quite happily blamed the EU when resources are stretched due to immigration, when they should have been investing billions in infrastructure.

SteveWalker

posted on 28/3/19 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I feel that immigration is too high, we are short of housing (resulting in building on green belt land), roads are overcrowded, school places are far too limited. More *could* have been done to invest in new infrastructure, but that will never solve the basic problem that there are too many people in a small overpopulated island and importing large numbers more cannot help but make things worse.

My own personal examples are:
a) living in the same area for all my life, marrying a woman who has also done so. Our first son went to the school that my wife and her sister attended, which was undersubscribed. The school is attached to the church that my in-laws attended all their married life, where my wife and her sister were baptised, confirmed, where we were married (and her sister and her husband were), where our children were baptised and where we have attended church, where my wife was a catechist. So we have a lot of connections with both school and church, but our second son was refused a place alongside his brother, as we are 75 yards outside the catchment area (despite distance and travel being easier than the school whose area we are in) and applications had gone up from 23 to 56 in only three years, due almost entirely to East European families moving to the area.
b) The green space at the heart of our town has also been put under threat as a consequent shortage of homes in the area has now been identified and it was earmarked for 750 homes - despite traffic on all roads around it queueing every day (and no space to widen and improve the roads) and all the schools being oversubscribed.

We need immigration, particularly of highly skilled professionals, but we also need limits. While we are in the EU, we cannot limit immigration from within it.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/19 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

quote:

Whilst that is clearly the case for some people I think it over simplifies things i.e just saying everyone who voted leave is xenophobic. The EU / UK relationship has been pretty toxic for some time, as shown by even the most pro EU parties not standing up and publicly stating they support what the EU is trying to achieve.

Also successive UK governments have quite happily blamed the EU when resources are stretched due to immigration, when they should have been investing billions in infrastructure.

I don't think it was some people, I think it was just about everyone... those who didn't want to admit that was the case spouted some EU directive about fishing, wonky banana's... blah blah but it was nothing more than keep the foreigners out. Yeah I have a low opinion on peoples motives but that's what people are like.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 29/3/19 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I don't think it was some people, I think it was just about everyone... those who didn't want to admit that was the case spouted some EU directive about fishing, wonky banana's... blah blah but it was nothing more than keep the foreigners out. Yeah I have a low opinion on peoples motives but that's what people are like.

Maybe where you live. I don't see that here.

swanny

posted on 29/3/19 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
that reminds me of novelist will self in that awful stare off with the government MP. self stated that not everyone who voted for brexit was racist, but that everyone who was racist voted for brexit.
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.