Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine seems jammed
ande

posted on 3/8/16 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
engine seems jammed

Hi, recently fitted a 1360 xflow in place of the 1.1, was having trouble getting it to fire up, but after discovering the timing was 180 deg out and we had the wrong spark plugs(duh) we finally got it to run, but as the starter got slower due to running the battery down, it became stuck, well this is what we thought, kept trying the key and just clonking. i got fed up with it and went out for the day, when came back, i tried it and it turned over, but today it did it again, i have a starter on the way because i assumed it was the starter getting jammed, so i took the old one out today and rocked the car back and forth in gear but the engine wont crank over! i don't know why because i was rocking it back and forth earlier to bring the timing mark round on the pulley, but now it wont move, i have taken off the rocker shaft, just incase it's that getting jammed, but no, taken the dizzy out, don't know if it would make a difference, but at this point i'll try anything.
gremlin1234

posted on 3/8/16 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
does the car rock back and forth with
a- clutch depressed
b- out of gear

Slimy38

posted on 3/8/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Are the plugs in? You might just be rocking against cylinder compression. Especially if you've removed the rocker shaft as you'll have closed all the valves.
ande

posted on 3/8/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, the car will roll back and forth freely with the clutch depressed or out of gear yes.

Plugs are out.

britishtrident

posted on 3/8/16 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but it really sounds like it is seized solid. If it were water in the bores it would rock back the way You have removed the starter so it is not that.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ande

posted on 3/8/16 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
it did it the other day though and has been running since
rusty nuts

posted on 3/8/16 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
If the engine won't turn at all it does sound like its siezed, does the crank move at all or a few degrees? When you rebuilt the engine did you check the size of the crank bearings both inside and outside diameter? Fords used oversize outside diameter main bearings which can catch people out . If the crank turns a few degrees it could be a siezed piston ?
joneh

posted on 3/8/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
If the engine won't turn at all it does sound like its siezed, does the crank move at all or a few degrees? When you rebuilt the engine did you check the size of the crank bearings both inside and outside diameter? Fords used oversize outside diameter main bearings which can catch people out . If the crank turns a few degrees it could be a siezed piston ?

They also did with the cam bearings as I just found out! I now have a 1300cc paper weight. Grrr.

ande

posted on 3/8/16 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
i just went back out and re fitted the starter motor and it turned about 6 or 7 times, slowly but it turned over, then stopped again.
leon51274

posted on 3/8/16 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be checking the battery first.
ande

posted on 3/8/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
new battery, i just went out again, turned the key and it turned slowly, so i kept the key turned and it got a bit faster then faster and faster until it was whizzing over at full speed, then it kept doing it then each time, it was gradually slowing down i think due to the battery draining, but if i waited a few seconds it would whizz round again. i know this is a daft question but the alternator belt couldnt be too tight could it???
leon51274

posted on 3/8/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Could be.
Are you using the old inertia starter motor? Is the ring gear meshing nicely?

Have you tried twisting the alternator a bit while cranking the engine over to see if it turns over a bit quicker?

Just going off memory of starting issues i had with my crossflow although that was a few years back!

02GF74

posted on 3/8/16 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is there oil in the engine?

If yes, you should see it come out the rocker shaft if it is at correct level and oil pump working.

ande

posted on 3/8/16 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
i have a new starter on the way, i dont think it's the starter though because we couldnt rock the engine over even with the starter removed earlier, just been back out to it and it is whizzing over again, so would you say i can rule out seizing? daft question i know, as it isn't seized at the moment, but thats what it feels like when it's jammed
ande

posted on 3/8/16 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Is there oil in the engine?

If yes, you should see it come out the rocker shaft if it is at correct level and oil pump working.

couldnt see any oil coming out the rocker shaft, filled it with fresh oil 2 days ago

olberj

posted on 3/8/16 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Got a good earth on the engine/box?
ande

posted on 3/8/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
yes mate but this oil thing has got me thinking now, no oil coming from rocker shaft, i bet thats what it is, oil pump!
snapper

posted on 4/8/16 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
Earth strap?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

theconrodkid

posted on 4/8/16 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
with plugs and starter out can you turn the engine freely with a ratchet on crank bolt,any easier with foot on the clutch ?
sounds like something has come adrift inside the engine,crank thrust washer maybe ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Bigheppy

posted on 4/8/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Have you removed the fan belt. The alternator or water pump could be seizing. Long shot but easy to test
ande

posted on 4/8/16 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
took the fan belt off and pump and alt are spinning free, now it's turning over again i can turn it with a spanner yes
ande

posted on 4/8/16 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Think i solved the problem, oil pump wasn't working, just fitted another one and i now have oil pumping out the rocker shaft, which i didn't before, my engine is probably knackered now i wouldn't have even thought about it if 02gf74 on this thread hadn't mentioned it so thanks, just crossing my fingers now that it isn't screwed.

[Edited on 4/8/16 by ande]

ReMan

posted on 4/8/16 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Oh dear!

Fingers crossed you may be lucky

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ande

posted on 4/8/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
ye hope so
ande

posted on 6/8/16 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
what's the worst that could happen if i carry on using it then?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.