Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec on bike carb - which fuel pump
Skirrow

posted on 4/11/16 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec on bike carb - which fuel pump

Evening, just got back from a rolling road session and the guy said that the fuel pump is a little underpowered. He said it should be OK for road use but if I take it on the track it won't be able to supply enough fuel. As it happens I have a track day booked next Saturday..

2 litre black top zetec with ZX9R carbs and megajolt. Power was 144 hp. Pump, if I remember correctly, was a second hand ZX9R pump which I thought would be OK.

Can anyone recommend a more suitable pump?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
x_flow57

posted on 4/11/16 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I run R1 carbs with a "square" Facet pump, pressure set at between 1.5 & 2.0psi.

Had no problems.

Mondeo Blacktop all std ecxept ex manifold & megajolt.

Pulls hard from idle to self imposed redline @ 7500, 170bhp

big_wasa

posted on 4/11/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer the Huco pump sold by webcon. It's bassed on the old su pump.
Skirrow

posted on 4/11/16 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, does that just go in the fuel line like the bike pump and does it need a separate regulator?

Also does it switch off automatically when the carbs are full?

More importantly, how did you get 170hp!? Mine was 144 @5300 rpm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 4/11/16 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
The Huco pump needs no regulator. Fits in the engine bay and pulls the fuel from the tank.
Skirrow

posted on 4/11/16 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
The Huco pump needs no regulator. Fits in the engine bay and pulls the fuel from the tank.

Cheers! I'll have a look. Is there any specific model that suits bike carbs?

SJ

posted on 4/11/16 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Why swap from the bike pump?
x_flow57

posted on 4/11/16 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skirrow
Cheers, does that just go in the fuel line like the bike pump and does it need a separate regulator?

Also does it switch off automatically when the carbs are full?

More importantly, how did you get 170hp!? Mine was 144 @5300 rpm

Inline with a filter king regulator.
It keeps pumping but has never caused any flooding problems (the pressure reg?).

You need to rev it :-). Can't remember where my peak was but certainly over 5300rpm.

Skirrow

posted on 4/11/16 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ

I'd rather not, but the guy at the rolling road said that it was a little small. He said it would be fine for road use but wouldn't supply enough fuel on the track when the throttle is fully open for longer periods of time. I have a track day booked next Saturday so want to try to sort it before then.

Thinking of a fuel pump off a bigger bike, but not sure what to try. I don't know bikes too well but anything bigger than a ZX9R seems to be an "in tank" pump

Skirrow

posted on 4/11/16 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by x_flow57

You need to rev it :-). Can't remember where my peak was but certainly over 5300rpm.

Looking at the graph it peaked at 5300 and started to drop off after that. Was expecting/hoping for 155, maybe 160 @ 6000rpm but when I got the result just thought I was being over optimistic.

Wonder if there is something I can do to release a few more horses higher up the rev range??

x_flow57

posted on 5/11/16 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
My dyno sheet is in my photo archive, in the "other" folder.

Red trace is as it arrived on the rollers.
Blue was as good as we could get it.
Orange was when we put the original bike trumpets on. Everyone was surprised at the difference they made, we had to increase the jet size dramatically.

Nearly 6500 before things started to flatten off.

19sac65

posted on 5/11/16 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SJ

I'd rather not, but the guy at the rolling road said that it was a little small. He said it would be fine for road use but wouldn't supply enough fuel on the track when the throttle is fully open for longer periods of time. I have a track day booked next Saturday so want to try to sort it before then.

Thinking of a fuel pump off a bigger bike, but not sure what to try. I don't know bikes too well but anything bigger than a ZX9R seems to be an "in tank" pump

Just a thought - What diameter fuel line are you using - it should be 10mm
Bike pumps are low pressure , high flow , as you probably know ,so should feed a zetec fine if it can feed a bike engine at the revs they make
Never had an issue with mine

Skirrow

posted on 5/11/16 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by x_flow57
My dyno sheet is in my photo archive, in the "other" folder.

Red trace is as it arrived on the rollers.
Blue was as good as we could get it.
Orange was when we put the original bike trumpets on. Everyone was surprised at the difference they made, we had to increase the jet size dramatically.

Nearly 6500 before things started to flatten off.

Cheers, I left the trumpets on. I'm using a pipercross PX500 filter but it's not got a cold air feed to it, it just sits under the bonnet.

Your blue curve seems to give the same power as mine until 5300 so just looks like mine drops off too early for some reason. Think I'll have a word with the rolling road guy and see what he thinks. Maybe more time on the dyno can fix it.

Skirrow

posted on 5/11/16 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 19sac65
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SJ

Just a thought - What diameter fuel line are you using - it should be 10mm
Bike pumps are low pressure , high flow , as you probably know ,so should feed a zetec fine if it can feed a bike engine at the revs they make
Never had an issue with mine

That could well be the issue. Think I used either 9 or 10mm, but... thinking back to when I installed the pump, I might have used something a little smaller between the tank and the pump as a "temporary" measure to get it up and running. I'll have a look next time I can get to the garage. Might well be that it doesn't need a new pump at all. Cheers!

x_flow57

posted on 5/11/16 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have 1/4" (8 mm?) feed, plenty of supply.

Are you using a std exhaust manifold? A proper 4 branch & 2" system can make a big difference.

[Edited on 5/11/16 by x_flow57]

Davedew

posted on 5/11/16 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Friend of mine was running a standard 2.0 blacktop, zx9 carbs with a bike fuel pump.
From memory jets were 170's

Made 170hp on the dyno. Surprising what a difference a good map on the megajolt makes. Getting the map sorted made all the difference.

[Edited on 5/11/16 by Davedew]

SJ

posted on 5/11/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ

It's hardly scientific but when I needed to drain my tank a couple of months ago I just disconnected the pipe from the carbs and fed it into a 25l jerry can. My ZX6 pump emptied the tank in about 10 minutes or so. The jerry can was full so it shifted 25l in that time.

I really don't think you will have an issue. Mine has been flat out plenty on track with no bother at all.

Stu

[Edited on 5/11/16 by SJ]

Skirrow

posted on 5/11/16 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fellas. I was assuming the rolling road operator noticed fuel starvation problems while on the dyno (rather then looking at the pump and deciding it didn't look big enough)

Manifold is one of these - http://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=24&product_id=629

No idea which jets he used but he remapped the megajolt and apart from the power it seems like he has done a great job. It drives really well and my wideband on the dash seems to read the sort of figures you would want. Only drove it home in the rain and was in traffic for most of the way so didn't get chance to study the wideband too much though.

I guess I could do with a decent drive in the dry and see how it is.

Dunno if maybe the fuel starvation is what caused the lower than expected power figure. I'm going to ask the rolling road.

Despite my best efforts to not worry about the hp figure, I've been sucked into it! Especially as my mate with a pinto managed 150bhp on the same dyno a few months ago

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.