Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: No longer a virgin lol
matt80

posted on 21/7/17 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
No longer a virgin lol

I did it! Took the plunge and bought myself a locost, red top 'rocket'. Amazing fun!!
For someone who HATES rattles etc in my normal car, its going to take some getting used to, not worrying about every single rattle and noise!
couple of questions if you don't mind........ When I indicate left it flashes twice as quick as when I indicate right. I have taken all bulbs out and checked them and swapped them to other side, made no difference?? Also, the car is in my garage, which is attached to the house. Do they all smell quite strong of petrol?? Reminds me of the smell from banger racing that I used to go and see as a kid lol

SJ

posted on 21/7/17 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
The indicators depend on the setup. It could be the bulb wattage that is incorrect.

One the petrol smell it very much depends. Mine runs bike carbs and does smell of petrol after use as the the air filter tends to get damp with petrol vapour, but definitely worth checking you don't have a leak.

Stu

[Edited on 21/7/17 by SJ]

[Edited on 21/7/17 by SJ]

matt80

posted on 21/7/17 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Stu. I checked all the bulbs on both sides and they are identical.......I cleaned the connections too. Might have to get an auto electrician in....damn!
Don't appear to have any leaks (no sign on floor at least). radiator, header tank and fuel tank all made by allyfab. It appears that Bryn Jones built this car himself which is quite interesting as ive heard a lot about him, small world!

David Jenkins

posted on 21/7/17 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding the petrol smell - you might want to have a read of this post I wrote some time ago:

Rotting petrol pipe

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/7/17 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I'd check your fuel lines for cracking, this is the biggest cause of fuel smell!

Sounds like you could have a wiring fault or bad relay for the indicators.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mcerd1

posted on 21/7/17 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Regarding the petrol smell - you might want to have a read of this post I wrote some time ago:

Rotting petrol pipe

^^ what he said - I've had this issue on my old daily drivers before

often there is practically no visible signs of it as it evaporates so quickly that there wouldn't be a wet patch (hense the smell)

-

David Jenkins

posted on 21/7/17 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding the indicators - you didn't say whether all the lamps are flashing on the faulty side (front, back and side repeater). If they are all flashing, are they flashing full brightness? If there are any dim bulbs, check their earth connection. It's probably worth checking all the earths on the faulty side anyway.

If you can get at the wiring for the flasher relay, try swapping the connections for each side - if the fault swaps sides then the relay is probably duff. If not, and all the lamps are shining brightly, then you probably do have a wiring fault.

matt80

posted on 21/7/17 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi David. I swapped all the bulbs and the connections from one side to another and the fault stayed on the left hand side. Will try and contact an auto electrician, thank you.
Nickp

posted on 21/7/17 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Re the indicators - I had to add a load resistor into my indicator cct to get the correct flash rate. This was because I only had normal wattage bulbs in the rears, my sides were LED and the fronts were smaller lower wattage bulbs. Maybe yours has a load resistor in there somewhere and that has a bad connection? Just a thought.
Andi

posted on 21/7/17 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I used this relay when i had different currents.. As in led fronts and bulbs in rear

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/dual-load-led-flasher-relay-unique-flash-rate-fix--new-spec-cf13-gl02-1961-p.asp

works with any combination.

However if you say the bulbs are all the same wattage, i would probably want to sort that out first.

Andi

BenB

posted on 22/7/17 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Are the hazards okay? It might give a clue. Petrol smell might just be nothing (a car running slightly rich with no cat etc will smell pretty strong) but could be rotten pipe. I once drove about 200 miles in a van- got home stinking of fuel, opened the bonnet to find a spraying fuel pipe- thank god it was a diesel

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.