Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VFD and new motor fitted to Bridgeport
bart

posted on 15/3/18 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
VFD and new motor fitted to Bridgeport

Hi Thought id share my experience and tell you about a good result.

Last year picked up a good condition 3 phase bridge port , with no readouts.
stood in my garage whilst I got over my heart attack all reasonably good now so decided to get it going
wired up a teco VFD that I had , turns out the main motor was knackered , ( brought untested )
so took motor off and as those who have one that's where the problems start .
they are non standard motors and every one I contacted quoted upwards off £300 for a rewind + vat.
and the original motor was only 0.95 hp so :
I took the decision to machine the motor bottom plate to take a bigger standard d90 1.1kw 1.5 hp tec motor
also brought a new weg cfw300 VFD.
took a day to do the mods and wire it all up.
result works perfect , the WEG VFD is so much easier to set up than the teco and works a treat.

finally a word to inverter drive supermarket , 1.1kw new motor , weg vfd , and controls £237 +vat
and the technical back up was superb ( and without sounding sexist , it was a lady ! , very good . )
ordered at 3pm arrived 8.30 next day all well packaged and strapped to a small pallet .

so better than original and cheaper than a rewind , ps: I used the teco vfd to power the table feed motor.
also picked up some lcd table digital scales for £150 .

if any one wants any details ill do some pics ect.

I also put a VFD on my Harrison Lathe - also transformed it so much more usable .

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

Barksavon

posted on 16/3/18 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one, you obviously know your way round machine tools.
You can't beat fixing something yourself that so called "professionals" want to charge a fortune for.
I once fixed a mates oven, he had been quoted £85 just for someone to have a look at it, turned out it was a solder joint that had come loose causing a thermal fuse to blow....cost 10p for a new fuse !!!
Be interesting to read other people's best repairs....?

[Edited on 16/3/18 by Barksavon]

nick205

posted on 16/3/18 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto - sounds like you've done some good work there!

I once fixed our dead tumble dryer by replacing a £15 control PCB assembly inside it. Hotpoint wanted £70 odd just to visit and inspect. The repair itself would have then been parts + labour meaning it was fix it yourself or simply replace the appliance. It worked for 3 more years before conking out completely so I was pleased I took the time to repair it.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/18 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Similar with our Honeywell wireless timer/thermostat that I rattled on about recently in the 'Wanted' section. One button didn't work, between £75 and £100 for a replacement. After I finally worked out what the problem was (mostly brain fade on my behalf when diagnosing it) I fixed it for just under £9.

These big companies have no interest in selling spares for their products - they'd much rather you forked out for a whole new item.

Barksavon

posted on 16/3/18 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's so satisfying to fix something that you know would have cost you an arm and leg for someone else to do ...and to get a few more years of life out of it.
I've remembered I rescued my electric shower a few years back, one of the heating element's packed up, looked on eBay, found exact same shower being sold for spares/repairs due to a different fault, bought for a tenner, took the element I need out, put it in mine....bingo. Shower lasted another 5 years or so and was still working when I refitted my bathroom.

fazerruss

posted on 16/3/18 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I also used a VFD to run my Bridgeport head. This was a conversion I did. It's a Bridgeport cherrying head mated to a Tom senior

Bridgeport senior
Bridgeport senior

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

Agriv8

posted on 16/3/18 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Similar with our Honeywell wireless timer/thermostat that I rattled on about recently in the 'Wanted' section. One button didn't work, between £75 and £100 for a replacement. After I finally worked out what the problem was (mostly brain fade on my behalf when diagnosing it) I fixed it for just under £9.

These big companies have no interest in selling spares for their products - they'd much rather you forked out for a whole new item.

David I think it’s the consumable throw away market.

Excluding your car name on thing in your house that you have had repaired

Washing machine went bang just after Christmas it popped the house fuse checked the obvious myself motor, heater element, wires etc.

Called local recommended washing machine guy and told him what I had done. Must be pcb board £100. I got a 9kg which Best Buy for 250 with 3 years parts and labour.

Took the washing machine and one from my parents few bits and bobs to the local scrap Yard and ended up with nearly £30.

I do like the feeling when you fix something though ! Well done

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.