Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Insurance for loft conversion work
bi22le

posted on 9/3/19 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Insurance for loft conversion work

Any thoughts or advice?

We are looking at spending the best part of £60k on a loft conversion. We would like something additional to put home Insurance to cover is in the event of part work, unseen damage etc.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

SJ

posted on 9/3/19 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
What are you looking to insure against? Do you mean the builder getting things wrong? I've done several big projects with the last one being about £150k and didn't do anything different on the house insurance front.

[Edited on 9/3/19 by SJ]

nick205

posted on 10/3/19 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
No personal experience of having this type of work done myself or having to insure it.

Does the builder not have some form of insurance in place to cover both themselves and the work they're doing?

I think I'd start by checking that angle first to see what (if any) cover the builder has or is meant to have. I don't disagree with being protected in some way, but I certainly don't like paying for things that others maybe should have already paid for.

I think of a chap I work with who bought a new build house a couple of years ago. The property came with something like a 10 year warranty against defects.

When he then suffered a leaking Velux window the original developer had to come and fix it (replace the window and a section of roof) after he reported it to them.

[Edited on 10/3/19 by nick205]

bi22le

posted on 10/3/19 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I would like to have a fall back insurance incase things go wrong in any kind of way really.

House insurance will cover it once it exists but what if they just don't show up or cause damage to someone elses house and refuse to fix it. That sort of thing, but not limited to.

They have gaurentees on their work and I may just be over worrying. I just can't help that a few hundred quid policy to cover £60k of work is a sensible step.

Im also surprised there is already nothing out there.

We will try and pay a lot on credit card and then pay off immediately as this will offer us additional cover.

Maybe what I am looking just does not exist and is covered by other financial services.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

SJ

posted on 10/3/19 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look here:

Federation of Master Builders insurance

I think this is the closest to what you are after.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 10/3/19 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
In theory the builder should have professional liability insurance....

The risk with taking your own insurance is the two insurance companies get into an argument over who should pay out and you're stuck in the middle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.