Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seized twin choke Weber carb
pmc_3

posted on 1/5/19 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Seized twin choke Weber carb

After some advice please chaps. I've got a 32/36 DGAV twin choke Weber carb that i'd like to use on a project. It's in pretty good nick, linkages are all good, the choke flaps are present and move freely, the primary throttle butterfly moves fine but the secondary throttle butterfly is seized solid. I've tried spraying it with WD40, put some penetrating oil on it, left it to soak in some old petrol for several hours but it still won't budge. I managed to get the screws out that hold the butterfly to the spindle but that hasn't helped.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Angel Acevedo

posted on 1/5/19 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ultrasonic cleansing?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/5/19 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Are the ends of the spindle accessible? If so light tap with a hammer/flat ended punch may help.
Heat is always good, hot air gun should be about right.

It may need an extended soak in a penetrating solution. Old petrol not the best idea. But a mixture of ATK and acetone is apparently "the best" otherwise WD40, plenty of it over an extended period.

If all else fails, I assume new spindles are available? and butterflies? The last resort is to cut the spindle, knock it out and fit new.

mark chandler

posted on 2/5/19 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Stick it in a small saucepan with some diesel and cook it for a few minutes
Benzine

posted on 2/5/19 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hot oil is king. Engine oil, veg oil, I've unstuck so many things using it. (take care, obviously)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 2/5/19 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Are you saying the top butterflies are stuck? as that's part of the choke system, and don't actually need to work on our cars
as a couple of pumps on the throttle and start the engine will do the same thing

I reckon the butterfly bar has been glued in place to stop it closing itself on deacceleration

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rusty nuts

posted on 2/5/19 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
The OP said the choke flaps are free. WD40 isn’t a penetrating oil , better to use something like Plusgas giving the seized part then maybe heating with a hot air gun then gently attempting to move the butterfly.
pmc_3

posted on 3/5/19 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Are you saying the top butterflies are stuck? as that's part of the choke system, and don't actually need to work on our cars
as a couple of pumps on the throttle and start the engine will do the same thing

I reckon the butterfly bar has been glued in place to stop it closing itself on deacceleration

steve

Nope just one of the bottom butterflies. The one that opens first is fine but the second that opens with more throttle is seized.

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll try a bit of heat from the heat gun and report back.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.