Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake cable run, and caliper position
jps

posted on 26/4/20 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Handbrake cable run, and caliper position

I know that i've asked about this before, but hoping I've finally got it right! How does this look for the handbrake cable run, and the subsequent position of the caliper?

Handbrake cable will run in a big 'S' - secured with a couple of loosely fitting P-clips (to allow a bit of movement) - the first where where the clamp is in the photo below and the second behind the shock in the picture below
Description
Description

The 'behind the shock' P-clip location shown better in the pcitire below, it'll be where the cable touches the chassis rail - just above the clamp which is currently holding the side panel on.

This leaves my calipers this way up - I expect to have to pivot them slightly to be able to bleed them - but will use the lower fitting for the flexi brake line - as in the pic below. The flexi will come to the lower chassis rail *behind* the driveshaft - i.e. towards the back of the car
Description
Description

[Edited on 26/4/20 by jps]

jps

posted on 28/4/20 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Bumping this up, incase anyone can help. Had another search and just found a couple of pics which seem to show a very similar setup being used. Unfortuantely a lot of old threads either point off to defunct websites, or have broken pic links..

Thanks in advance to DarrenW
Rescued attachment diff and hbrake cables may05 resized.jpg
Rescued attachment diff and hbrake cables may05 resized.jpg

and Marc N
Rescued attachment handbrake-cable-route.jpg
Rescued attachment handbrake-cable-route.jpg

Who look to be using pretty much the same route as me...

rusty nuts

posted on 28/4/20 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked clearance with the wheels on?
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/4/20 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

good call...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 28/4/20 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Yes - you can see in my first pic in the OP that it clears the 14" build wheels I have on, and I will be using 15" alloys on the wheel, so I assume there will be even more clearance. But I will try the 15" to be sure.

As the handbrake cable exits the caliper the cable is already angled inboard, I think having it secured against the rear of the seat bulkhead will ensure it doesn't flex outwards at any point. The pic above from Marc N made me think I should look at securing it directly to the upright too if I can - so that the cable and upright move in unison as much as possible?

[Edited on 28/4/20 by jps]

jps

posted on 5/5/20 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Last bump incase anyone can add their experience. It's times like these that I wish the Haynes forum was up - i am sure it's well doucmented in pictures on there!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.