Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra steering wheel boss removal
BangedupTiger

posted on 9/5/20 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra steering wheel boss removal

Has anyone got a photo of what the steering column looks like without a steering wheel or boss attached.

The boss on my tiger is completely stuck and I can’t work out how to get it off. Usually I end up wrecking things when it turns out to be a simple fix.

It’s currently got a billet aluminium boss. Possibly made by the previous owner. I’ll try and get some photos up.

BangedupTiger

posted on 9/5/20 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

BangedupTiger

posted on 9/5/20 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
The centre nut doesn't appear to be doing much. I original thought the 3 studs were holding the boss on, but even once the nuts are removed its rock solid.

I assume the boss is splined? but doesn't look like it from inside as far as I can see.

Any ideas on the best way to remove it?

gremlin1234

posted on 9/5/20 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
usually its a splined shaft, plus a taper fit too. the nut is there to ensure it doesn't move. you need a hub puller of some form. (hint put central nut back on loosely so you can't mangle the threads.)

[Edited on 9/5/20 by gremlin1234]

BangedupTiger

posted on 9/5/20 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
What I mean is the centre of the aluminium boss just appears to have a hole in it that the column comes through. It doesn’t appear the centre hole is actually connected to the splines.

It looks more like the 3 studs are what’s holding the boss in place.

Are those 3 studs normal on a standard Sierra column?

rusty nuts

posted on 10/5/20 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I would replace the steering wheel, slacken the center bolt a couple of turns then pull the steering wheel towards you while giving the bolt a sharp tap with a hammer. There isn’t a spline , it’s a hexagon
Schrodinger

posted on 10/5/20 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC you might also have to have the key in the ignition and the steering unlocked.

Keith
Aviemore

nick205

posted on 10/5/20 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I would replace the steering wheel, slacken the center bolt a couple of turns then pull the steering wheel towards you while giving the bolt a sharp tap with a hammer. There isn’t a spline , it’s a hexagon

If it's a Ford Sierra steering column that's my memory as well, a hexagon, not a spline.

As advised slacken the nut a few turns and sit in the car a pull the steering wheel towards you. It should come off without too much effort.

mccsp

posted on 10/5/20 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like there is a boss on the column and aluminium quick release on that boss.

Centre bold should remove whole assembly, but only if the steering lock is disengaged.

As stated by Keith, make sure the key is in and the steering lock is off before trying to remove. Normally pressure on the back of the steering wheel on one side and a gentle tap on the back of the other with your hand is enough to get it off when the steering lock is disengaged.

Chris

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

pmc_3

posted on 10/5/20 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Here's you go. As others have said it's hexagonal.

Column2
Column2

BangedupTiger

posted on 10/5/20 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Has anyone got a photo of the column without the Aluminium spacer on but with the black metal back still in place.

There is no way its pulling off by hand. And no where to really attach hub puller, I still don't think the hub puller would remove anyway.

Only options I can see at the minute is cut it off with an angle grinder (hence need the photo to see where I can cut) or replace the column.

Anyone got a spare column available?

BangedupTiger

posted on 10/5/20 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
Looks like there is a boss on the column and aluminium quick release on that boss.

Centre bold should remove whole assembly, but only if the steering lock is disengaged.

As stated by Keith, make sure the key is in and the steering lock is off before trying to remove. Normally pressure on the back of the steering wheel on one side and a gentle tap on the back of the other with your hand is enough to get it off when the steering lock is disengaged.

Chris

This is starting to make sense to me now. I thought the black part was part of the column. But from the photo below I now think is a Mountney part. It seems the 3 studs are part off the Mountney black boss and the Aluminium is just something the builder made as a spacer.

So if I bolt the 3 small nuts back on and get a puller behind the black boss it may work. Kind of explains why the Aluminium boss doesn't appear to connect to the centre bolt.

Description
Description

I wouldn't mind but changing the steering wheel is only due to changing the seats.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.