Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X/flow carb problem
Deckman001

posted on 10/7/20 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
X/flow carb problem

Hi all, Well, I might need a bit of help with my bike carbs, they are struggling to tick over but seam fine when revved, starts great on choke, but doesn't like coming off the choke and even if i turn up the idle set screw for the tick over set up, it still dies after a few seconds. The timing was set up by a garage guy who also did the geometry set up so I fully trust him with my life if that helps.
Am just wondering if anyone else is using what appear to be Yamaha R6 carbs on a 1.6 cross flow without electronic ignition?

I cleaned them out when i bought back the car as they had been sat for over ten years so gunked up with old fuel. All jets blew through the same and all float bowls also were cleaned and looked fine after.

Here they are installed.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Deckman001

posted on 10/7/20 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully don't worry all, I think I might have found someone with experience of installing and sorting out bike carbs on a car engine

Jason

[Edited on 10/7/20 by Deckman001]

SJ

posted on 13/7/20 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Have you made any changes to the main jets or idle mixture screws?
Deckman001

posted on 13/7/20 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, nothing changed whilst I've had the car running since 14 years ago, when i got it back in the new year, it had been sat for at least ten years and I had to drain out each carb and clean out each jet according to a youtube vid i copied. Since then I suppose I haven't had it running for long enough to get it off choke normally so hadn't noticed the issue. The guy who drove it to his garage to set up the geometry did say the carbs were a bitch but i thought it was a new to the car issue, but it appears now that he had obviously been running it past the warming up stage and struggled to keep it running once hot.
I am assuming it may be a wrong jet size for the engine, but I had hoped all those many many years ago that they would work straight out of the box.

I think I'll need to track down the exact model number for the carbs and then do some more digging to find a manual or something about refurbishing them.

Just a thought,after it has run for even a little while, I get black smoke stains on the rear arch where the exhaust exits so I assume it's a bit rich while on choke, but seeing as it won't idle after that, i can't keep it over 2000 revs for long seeing as it's in a neighbours garage

Jason

Dingz

posted on 13/7/20 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a problem with the pilot jets not letting enough fuel through, did this set up work ok previously?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Deckman001

posted on 13/7/20 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I think it worked ok, but the set up has never been on the open road so it's a bit difficult to know for sure. I think I might get them off and strip them down again and give them an even better clean. At least then, if I can get the setup looked at by someone who knows what they are doing, it should be an easier job for them to sort it

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 14/7/20 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Right then, my local contact who worked with an engine an R1 carbs doesn't want to get involved seeing as it was such a nightmare to sort the setup he was involved with. So I guess my first job is to make sure what carbs they are, I thought they were Yam R6 from before 2010, but they also look similar to Kawazaki 600's.

Any bike experts on here can confirm either way relating to the pics at the head of this post ?

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 15/7/20 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Well, Good news, I took off the carbs and stripped the bowls off one at a time to clean them out. Carbs 1 and 4 had blocked jets so I cleaned them all out and put them back on. It started up on the second turn of the key and i didn't use the choke and let it warm back up to re pressure the cooling system.

All worked well and hopefully now it just needs a little fettle with each carb according to a YouTube video to get the air flow right in each one.

Happy days indeed !!

Jason

SJ

posted on 15/7/20 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs do work amazingly well!

Well done.

steve m

posted on 15/7/20 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Glad it looks like you could of sorted the problem Jason

Had I gone down the bike carb route. I wouldn't of had a carb fire that destroyed my beloved 7

Hope the tonneau fits

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 16/7/20 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Glad it looks like you could of sorted the problem Jason

Had I gone down the bike carb route. I wouldn't of had a carb fire that destroyed my beloved 7

Hope the tonneau fits

steve

Cheers.

Steve, I've not had time to try and fit the Tonneau yet, Ive been fitting a rear boot cover i made from bits i had spare and a decent bit from a fellow locoster who had spare too.

It's getting there. Every day now that the sun comes out I'm jealous of every other 7 that's out there enjoying it while mine just sits in the garage waiting for a chassis number, confirmation of an engine number and an IVA test !!

T'is so tempting to get late night test drive !! But iv'e not been tempted enough to break the law yet.

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.