Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Does this site keep going down?
Deckman001

posted on 19/7/20 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Does this site keep going down?

Hi all, just wondering, is it just my comp going funny or does the locostbuilders site keep disappearing?

Jason

bi22le

posted on 19/7/20 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately not.

Me too, it went down shortly after 2pm Friday I recon.

I feel bad I have not donated for a while, so if it helps, I'll pop some more coppers in the slot.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 19/7/20 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Keeps going down for me as well.

I've not donated for a while either so will drop some in the box.

Easy to forget LCB website is run by generosity and not funding.

Deckman001

posted on 19/7/20 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah t'is a shame it keeps going down, hopefully Chris still has time to look at it and tinker with the site settings, I know he's a very busy man these days though, but we all still need him to keep us going with our builds as this is still the best site for builders i think.

Jason

nick205

posted on 19/7/20 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Yeah t'is a shame it keeps going down, hopefully Chris still has time to look at it and tinker with the site settings, I know he's a very busy man these days though, but we all still need him to keep us going with our builds as this is still the best site for builders i think.

Jason

Agreed, I've not found a better web forum for Locost and kit builders. Finished my build a good few years ago and still come back as there are many helpful and interesting people and projects on here.

coyoteboy

posted on 27/7/20 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like it might be being subject to some form of attack, the only visible error looks like a database connection overload. A forum this size takes next to bugger all looking after until something goes pear shaped, then it becomes a PITA. There's a huge increase in dodgy hits on all my sites recently, I've been having to ramp up security on a number of them that were never a target before.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 27/7/20 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
We used to get the error years ago when we had to many "guests" viewing the forum.

So random denial of service / hackers looking for an "in" doesn't surprise me

steve m

posted on 27/7/20 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
When this site goes down, it makes a right mess of my day, as I have a religiously thorough sequence of sites I look at with my morning T

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SteveWalker

posted on 27/7/20 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
An attack could be the problem.

We have a home-server (email, file and cloud) that we can access both internally and when we are out and about. 5 weeks ago we started finding our internet slow and it kept timing out on sites or failing to find them at all when browsing, although they would load fine on a second or third (sometimes twentieth!) attempt.

Investigation showed that attempts were being made every 5 seconds or so to get into our server - not a large number, but enough that the ISP supplied router seemed to be struggling. The attempts were mainly coming from China, with a fair number from Vietnam and a very small number from Rumania.

Temporarily closing the external ports brought everything back to normal.

I have since bought a business grade router, with a more powerful processor and better firewall control - and unfortunately with a 982 page manual

[Edited on 27/7/20 by SteveWalker]

[Edited on 27/7/20 by SteveWalker]

Irony

posted on 28/7/20 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
This website is a fabulous resource for car building. The generosity and knowledge base on here is fantastic. I literally couldn't have built my car without it.

I have seen numbers dwindle over the years though. I would not be adverse to locostbuilders being a subscription website. £5 per year per person or something I am sure would easily fund Chris's outgoings

Admittedly I haven't donated in a while as well

[Edited on 28/7/20 by Irony]

Irony

posted on 28/7/20 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Donated!!
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/7/20 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Donated!!

Same here, takes all of 1 minute through paypal

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 28/7/20 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Donated!!

Same here, takes all of 1 minute through paypal

Donated.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bi22le

posted on 28/7/20 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
333 guests apparently.

It was 275 literally 2 mins ago. .

40inches

posted on 28/7/20 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
333 guests apparently.

It was 275 literally 2 mins ago. .

And around 45 new registered members today so far

steve m

posted on 28/7/20 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
This site should really have some form of pay scheme, not to make money, but to fund the ongoing of this site
as it is invaluable, and incredibly useful and not just about cars,

But for this to work, and for newbies to see and get a feel for what a great worldwide site this is, perhaps the first 20 posts are free, and after that a £10 donation is required, perhaps limited to 1000 posts, and then another donation ?

Obviously we do have some post hoggers, who would be donating on a monthly basis

Ive known Chris W, for over 20 years, and believe this site was started to help, mainly with Locosts obviously, but as the years have gone by (to quickly!) the whole forum has diversified into many many other aspects of cars, kits and others,

My kit car has gone to kit car heaven now, and I have no desire to get another, but this site still is one of my daily go to sites,
and a site that I regularly post on, if I have something sensible to say (some times!!) the reason being, is that even when I ask a stupid question, like my last one, I get a good response from people who I do not know, but have had the same issue, so helped sort it

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

James

posted on 28/7/20 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Not been around much for the last few years but it was embarrassingly long since I last donated so thanks for the prod guys!

Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

John Bonnett

posted on 28/7/20 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
This website is a fabulous resource for car building. The generosity and knowledge base on here is fantastic. I literally couldn't have built my car without it.

I have seen numbers dwindle over the years though. I would not be adverse to locostbuilders being a subscription website. £5 per year per person or something I am sure would easily fund Chris's outgoings

Admittedly I haven't donated in a while as well

[Edited on 28/7/20 by Irony]

I totally agree with everything you've said. The generosity of members and the sheer breadth of knowledge is jaw dropping and a resource that I for one would be devastated if it were lost. I've just lobbed in a tenner which is money well spent in my view.

Edwardo

posted on 31/7/20 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree - this site is the main one I use, such a wealth of knowledge and previous posts to search.

Also just donated again as it's probably been a year.

I really hope the site going down regularly is just a technical glitch tho and not a sign of anything else...

Paul M

posted on 31/7/20 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just donated - agree, its a fabulous site and would ahpily pay a yearly fee

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

sevaun

posted on 1/8/20 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Donations

Not sure if donations is the real answer. I donated a couple of weeks ago and the site has been down regularly ever since.
I messaged Chris to ascertain if the problem was mine or the sites and never got a replyhttp://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/images//smilies/sad.gif

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.