Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: repair a windscreen chip?
number-1

posted on 20/10/20 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
repair a windscreen chip?

Has anyone used a windscreen chip repair kit from the likes of ebay ?

Ive got a chip and need it repaired before the cold weather kicks in. I can get it repaired for £40 ish or so im told but wondered if the ebay kits are any good.

Something like this....

Rain x repair

[Edited on 20/10/20 by number-1]

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/10/20 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the rainx kit from Halfords quite a few times and been very pleased with the results and never had any issues afterwards. Fixed chips to quite large cracks from stones. Not 100% invisible but saled through the MOT and me pouring hot water on the glass in winter.

[Edited on 20/10/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
number-1

posted on 20/10/20 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply mate. That is exactly all i need the repair to be good for. Ill get a kit ordered
roadrunner

posted on 20/10/20 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the ones of ebay.
All I can say is that they filled the hole.
Still looked like chips though.
Maybe the ones at Halfords are a better quality.

SteveWalker

posted on 20/10/20 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a chip filled by Autoglass - it did the job and stopped it worsening, but was a permanent dull and slightly translucent patch on the windscreen. The DIY approach is likely to be no worse.
ianhurley20

posted on 21/10/20 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Sadly I have had several screen chips. The last two were done by Autoglass through my insurance for £10 each and previous ones I have done myself with various kits. Must say there was very little difference in the repairs, in all cases the fix is still visible to a degree but its a lot better than the cost of a new screen. I found Autoglass to be a bit of a pain in that they wanted to sell me new wiper blades as well saying that the blades would have been damaged by the chip even though I hadn't used them since the chips happened

nick205

posted on 21/10/20 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Not repaired a chip or had one repaired myself. Had a few screens replaced under insurance (usually a £70 excess) when they've cracked. I'd say for the cost of the kit and your time it's got to be worth having a go. If it goes badly does your insurance policy have screen cover? If yes and the self-repair goes badly you'll be in for getting the screen replaced + insurance excess.
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/10/20 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I think if you give it a go you find it is actually dead easy. One tip I'd give, especially for fixing cracks is do it the garage with the door shut as it sets with UV in the sun. So to give it time to seep into the crack and not go off early leave it a couple of hours and then take it out in the sun. I've also fixed scratches on my phone with the kit with invisible results
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.