Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How Often do you start your ‘fine weather car’ over the winter months?
lordbenny

posted on 15/12/20 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
How Often do you start your ‘fine weather car’ over the winter months?

I’ve starting turning my car over once a week whilst it’s damp and cold....left it three weeks recently and it was a bugger to start. Even though I have a carpeted ‘integral’ garage she don’t like being left for long!

I was recently advised to get a jump pack for the winter months....are these worth the money?

perksy

posted on 15/12/20 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
If your going to start the engine up (and not just place it on a trickle charger) the engine needs to be run up to full working temp
The worst thing you can do is just start it up for a couple of minutes and then turn it off again

I once saw an engine where this had been happening on a regular basis and it needed a re-bore in the end

nick205

posted on 15/12/20 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
If your going to start the engine up (and not just place it on a trickle charger) the engine needs to be run up to full working temp
The worst thing you can do is just start it up for a couple of minutes and then turn it off again

I once saw an engine where this had been happening on a regular basis and it needed a re-bore in the end

I'd have to agree with perksy on this. A brief start/stop incurs engine wear, doesn't allow the oil to warm properly and doesn't do anything to recharge the battery. Max load on the battery to srat the engine should at least be rewarded with enough run time to put charge back into the battery. I've seen given people a jump start before and then watched as they switch their engine straight off again. They seem baffled as to why it won't re-start.

To answer the question I used to actually drive my MK Indy throughout the year so it wasn't really an issue. If I'd had it off the road over the winter I'd probably have started it once a week and run it for 1/2hr or so, but not just letting it idle. Perhaps a bit of throttle here and there to vay it a bit.

gremlin1234

posted on 15/12/20 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
if you are starting it, then you really should also move it about a bit, so it parks on a different spot on the tyres, get the engine/oil/water/exhaust/cat hot, and run any aircon in a modern car too

but to answer the question, do the little lithium jump start pack work? - yes they do work extremely well, though you are still better off topping up the charge of the main battery occasionally as well

also a slightly different story if you just turn it over without starting.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/12/20 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Dress up warm and drive it
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slater

posted on 15/12/20 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I normally use mine all year round, just as long as the roads are dry and I dress up in quite a few layers, gloves, scarf etc.... After 1 hr driving i'm ready to head home again.

Although I have recently had an incident and off the road right now...... doh....I'll put up a separate post with the details at some point.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

lordbenny

posted on 15/12/20 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
.....just as long as the roads are dry

Here lies the problem......the roads just ain’t ever dry in winter.

big_wasa

posted on 15/12/20 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I took mine for a spin a fortnight back and had a little woopsie.
I got of very lightly.

It’s put me off tacking it back out until it’s warmer.

Slimy38

posted on 15/12/20 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have a fair weather car yet (it's still being built), but I used to leave my bike in the garage when the roads became unpleasant. Apart from a 'wake up' service at the beginning of the season I didn't do anything with it. When it started to get warm it got new fluids, new fuel and a battery charge.
nick205

posted on 16/12/20 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Dress up warm and drive it

Yup - that's what I did

Good layers of clothing, gloves and a snood under my helmet - just got on and drove it.

SJ

posted on 16/12/20 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Recently started mine after it was stood for a year. Couple of turns and off it went. I love bike carbs!

It will soon have a heater so plan is to use it year round once back on the road.

[Edited on 16/12/20 by SJ]

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/20 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
You do get 12v heated vests, jackets and pads etc for bikers which in a 7 will keep you way warmer than a heater. I had heated grips and a jacket plus fleece lined jeans for my motorbike which I used even in the snow. Tbh most of the time I was just cooking and had to keep turning it off. You even get heated steering wheel covers now

Until I fit (if ever) the hood and windscreen, I'm not bothering with a heater at all in the 7 as I still have my heated bike jacket

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 16/12/20 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Once a winter maybe, just to prevent the tyres flatspotting/cracking. No other need to. I left one car parked outside for 3 years with no starts, the engine internals were shiny and fine before starting so I have never considered it an issue.

CosKev3

posted on 16/12/20 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
As above,you do it more harm than good unless it gets hot enough to evaporate any moisture from the crank case,which it won't sat idling.
Just leave it until you are ready to use next spring .

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/20 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I did leave a old vw beetle engine under the workbench for 10 years, fitted it and it ran perfectly
ianhurley20

posted on 17/12/20 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
My wife has a DS3 Cabrio in black. It is the worst colour for showing dirt and marks and I have to clean it at nearly every outing to keep it looking as it should. Over lockdown my wife lost sight in one eye due to a cataract (very recently now fixed) and couldn't drive so the car lives in the garage on a maintainance trickle charger and each month on a non raining day I take it out for a 10 or 15 mile drive to thoroughly warm the fluids and let the tyres get round again after standing. I'll keep that up until she gets her new glasses and can drive again. I got away with not having to clean it last month

[Edited on 17/12/20 by ianhurley20]

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/12/20 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you start an engine and leave it ticking over for a long time and do this regularly you will end up with bore wash, which results in petrol getting past the rings into the oil, which can do lots of damage if your unlucky.

I have experienced this during the build when I used to start up the engine and warm it up regularly.

The engine needs to be run under load i.e. Driven to avoid this.

[Edited on 17/12/20 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.