Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where have all the Zetecs gone
Shooter63

posted on 2/1/21 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Where have all the Zetecs gone

I had a quick look on eBay for 2.0 Zetec engines and couldnt find one, where have they all gone, a few years ago there would have been lists of the things mainly black tops with a few cheeky silver tops ,with prices ranging from £100.00 for a high miler to £750.00 for a crate job now nothing, whos had them all

Shooter

SteveWalker

posted on 2/1/21 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
The odd ST170 seems to crop up - and they are Zetecs even though they are badged as Duratecs, aren't they?
02GF74

posted on 2/1/21 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
The engines are not made anymore so have either gone to metal heaven via the recyclers or been used in kit cars or old Fords.

I have a 2.0 silvertop pre 95 block so pre-cat (less stringent emissions test) stripped but complete that I'm never going to use.

Only downside is the chambers in the head were modified to lower CR in preparation for a turbo conversion, it would need a cylinder head for NA use.

Make me a sensible offer to include gasket set. Collection only as I'm not messing around with pallets and couriers.

Was bought to replace crossflow but I decided I didn't want to raise the bonnet to fit the taller engine so conversion never happened.

simon04

posted on 2/1/21 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
stopped production in 2004
Ford over produced by several thousand
most were bought up by some of the bigger suppliers like retro ford and kitspares and cpl others
Price if you can get a crate one is about 2k now for bare engine.

Crazy

John Bonnett

posted on 2/1/21 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'll probably be shot down for this but in my opinion the 1.6 litre Zetec SE or Sigma is a very good proposition and well worth looking at. I believe they are still in production, are all aluminium and weigh in at around 80kg. I recently bought two fully dressed engines from a scrappy for £200. A good friend of mine achieved 160bhp on a bog standard engine fitted with throttle bodies and a decent management system. I drove his car and I don't disbelieve him.
big_wasa

posted on 2/1/21 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Where they have gone is simple.

F2 stock cars and banger racing have changed from pinto to 2.0 zetec. They pay good money and stock pile them. Often picking them up at source.
I missed a local one on Fb yesterday. 20 minutes and I was the 30th enquiry and the first collected it in just over an hour.

The 2k asking price for the last few new ones is just so they can sell a package.

1.8’s are still an option for the time being. And st170’s but it’s getting harder to find one of them with less than a 150k on it.

macc man

posted on 3/1/21 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a 1.8 zetec for my Anglia project for about £120, low mileage they are still a good alternative.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 4/1/21 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I ended up buying a Mk.2 Mondeo auto with 6 months test on it, just for the engine. I pooled around on it until the test virtually ran out, removed the engine, flogged some spares for about £60, then weighed in the chassis and got £200 for it. Essentially a 65k mile engine, known to be running and in good working order, and 5 months motoring for the price of £500. Whilst not as cheap as some engine i've seen on eBay, did me right!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

nick205

posted on 4/1/21 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
I ended up buying a Mk.2 Mondeo auto with 6 months test on it, just for the engine. I pooled around on it until the test virtually ran out, removed the engine, flogged some spares for about £60, then weighed in the chassis and got £200 for it. Essentially a 65k mile engine, known to be running and in good working order, and 5 months motoring for the price of £500. Whilst not as cheap as some engine i've seen on eBay, did me right!

Good way of getting an engine IMHO. For my MK Indy I bought an MoT fail Sierra (rotten body) for £200. By the time I'd had all the bits I wanted from it and weighed in the remainder for scrap I was about £50 down. Bought several more Sierras for stripping and selling donor packs. Made a few £££ doing so to help fun my build. Sierra's have pretty much gone these days and those left seem to command larger asking prices than I'm interested in paying.

Bridge Auto Spares

posted on 5/1/21 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I still got a 2.0 and 1.6 Zetec in South Africa can be shipped to UK via ocean fright for $200.00

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.