Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh, that is annoying...
David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/21 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, that is annoying...

I've just had to replace one of my rear brake wheel cylinders as it was leaking fluid (see epic saga elsewhere).

When I ordered the replacement I bought two, as they weren't much more expensive than buying one (probably because of postage). I thought the extra one might be needed - if one side goes, the other will probably follow shortly.

Today I was looking through my spare parts box for something - and found an as-new, unused wheel cylinder. I'd replaced the other side quite a few years ago, and obviously bought two 'just in case'... I now have two 'spares'.

Sigh...

...and I still haven't found what I was looking for!

[Edited on 21/6/21 by David Jenkins]

jacko

posted on 21/6/21 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
It’s a age thing
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 21/6/21 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
David,

I think what's happening here is you're collecting parts for another build

harmchar

posted on 21/6/21 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can identify with this. My garage is full of "just in case" bits n bobs.
mark chandler

posted on 21/6/21 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
When I service my Volvo I always get transmission fluid, I moved house three weeks ago, 9 x 500cc bottles, it’s expensive stuff ..

It’s an age….

I moved loads of tat, literally a trailer full, “I will have a use one day” rubbish

[Edited on 21/6/21 by mark chandler]

David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/21 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad it's not just me!

I was looking through my spare parts box and found all sorts of things that were put in there 6 or 7 years ago and have never moved since (and will never be used again). They're now in the bin!

SteveWalker

posted on 21/6/21 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
However, it is guaranteed that when you have a clear out, you'll suddenly find a use for something that you know you've had around and then you'll realise that you just got rid of it. I can't think how many times that has happened to me!
rusty nuts

posted on 22/6/21 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
I once had a 20ft x10ft she’d full of classic Mini parts that I scrapped in 1985 , probably many £1000s worth these days?
David Jenkins

posted on 22/6/21 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
The one my wife teases me about is a pin hammer... I used to have a nice one, but it vanished in the mess that is my garage. Turned everything out, cleared the shelves, and so on. A few years later we were walking through an antiques/junk shop and found a decent one for £5, which I immediately bought.

And you can guess the rest - about a week or two later the original one turned up!

nick205

posted on 23/6/21 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The one my wife teases me about is a pin hammer... I used to have a nice one, but it vanished in the mess that is my garage. Turned everything out, cleared the shelves, and so on. A few years later we were walking through an antiques/junk shop and found a decent one for £5, which I immediately bought.

And you can guess the rest - about a week or two later the original one turned up!

done similar myself

I also get asked why I've got more than 1 hammer - I once tried explaing the number of different things I might need to strike with a hammer - that stopped the questions about having more than 1 hammer

David Jenkins

posted on 23/6/21 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've lost count - I think I've got 10 or 12 hammers, maybe more! All have a specific use, maybe with the exception of one of the 2 pin hammers!

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 23/6/21 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

done similar myself

I also get asked why I've got more than 1 hammer - I once tried explaing the number of different things I might need to strike with a hammer - that stopped the questions about having more than 1 hammer

My wife often asks why I've got multiples of any one type of tool - to which I often reply "Why have you go so many different pairs of shoes?" Not really any comeback to that....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

nick205

posted on 23/6/21 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

done similar myself

My wife often asks why I've got multiples of any one type of tool - to which I often reply "Why have you go so many different pairs of shoes?" Not really any comeback to that....

Quality response - noted for future use

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.