Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HAND BRAKE FOR THREE WHEELER
kipper

posted on 29/7/08 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
HAND BRAKE FOR THREE WHEELER

Can any-one tell me if a hand brake for a three wheeler has to be fitted to more than one wheel? I am building a three wheeler with one wheel at the rear two up front, can I fit the parking brake to the rear wheel.?
do I need a brake at all? I see trikes that don't have them.
Over to the font of knowledge that is the locost builder forum

Where did that go?
<<<<

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/08 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
go on I dare you to fit it to just one of the front wheels, yeeeehhaaa!! spin like a top!!

the rear wheel will be fine, I don't think you legally need one but I'd fit it if pos as they can creap even if left in gear on a hill.

I'm sketching out a streamlined 3 wheeler right now, also looking at buying a Ultima windscreen too, then a pile foam...

[Edited on 29/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 29/7/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
The handbrake has to be fitted to all the wheels on 1 axle. You can fit it to the single wheel axle if you want. The brake force it has to achieve is a percentage of the mass of the vehicle, the same kind of thing as a 4 wheel car's handbrake. If you have it on 1 wheel, it has to be a good brake. If you fit it to the other axle, the brakes share the work between them.

My handbrake works on both front wheels, so should stop the car pretty well if the main system fails. It also means I could do burnouts if I really wanted to.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for that, I suppose for a car sized trike a Saab 900 front callipers could be used as the have the handbrake on them, the only car I know which does. For a lighter machine standard rear sierra brakes could be used.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 29/7/08 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
The Citroen BX has its handbrake on the front wheels, IIRC.

Agriv8

posted on 29/7/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The Citroen BX has its handbrake on the front wheels, IIRC.

Confirmed

it was so the hydro suspension could settle you also had to remeber to leave 'em in gear if you had been driving enthusiastically ( mine once parked itself on a rockery just down the road - 30 minutes after parking up !!!!)

But speed bumps could be hit at arround 50 with no issues

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 29/7/08 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

kipper

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
hand brake

Thanks for the replies, I think I will be putting the brake on the rear wheel, I am using a Piagio scooter, 400cc which has a convenient spare bracket on the swinging arm.
I have been looking at some Hispec hand brake calipers on their website , they look ideal.
Regards Kipper.......AKA Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.