Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Big back tyre
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Big back tyre

Big back tyre

So I’m like sketching this three wheeler thing, big plans, new enthusiasm…thinking about what I could do and what I have sitting the garage. One of which is my Lambo set of wheels, how about two 225’s up front with a single 295 at the rear?! How crazy would that be? how would it handle…hmm certainly lots of grip, would not us it in the rain, I think it would be brill? The wheels are 3-piece spun alloy, even the big wheel & tyre only weigh 20kg so the unsprung weight would not be all that great. For now it’s a bike engine/ gear box / custom swing arm thingy but that might change…

Oh and I have decided that it will have only one door on the driver side but it will include about halve the roof when it opens so its easy to get in to the passenger space, doors are such a pain to do and take so much strength away from a shell.

[Edited on 29/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/7/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I thought that narrow wheels were better for light weight cars?

Would look pretty smart though!

What do the alloys look like?

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
yeah might be like riding a chopper trike but it would look well cool, this is one of the front wheels (have nicer tyres on them now), the back ones are very deep dished with road/race tyres on them

With such a light ground pressure it would be great on the beach

anyone built a midi trike using a locost front end? btw

[Edited on 29/7/08 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment wheel.JPG
Rescued attachment wheel.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 29/7/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Big back tyre

Oh and I have decided that it will have only one door on the driver side but it will include about halve the roof when it opens so its easy to get in to the passenger space, doors are such a pain to do and take so much strength away from a shell.
[Edited on 29/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Should make picking someone up/dropping someone off an interesting proposition if you don't want to get out of the vehicle!

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
true but it's not that often only one person gets in and out, usually it will be both. Two doors make a huge difference to the strength I just don't think its worth it plus I was wanting to use the passenger side wall for mounting the radiator.

smart51

posted on 29/7/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
My 3 wheeled project (see other posts in this section) has 1 door. It includes both sides, the roof and windscreen. A bit like a bond bug. The chassis is not unlike a seven chassis with integral roll hoop. opening up a big area won't remove any of the strength of the underlying chassis.
britishtrident

posted on 29/7/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Won't work --- just consider what happens in roll ie the tyre will run only on the outer 1/8 of the tread.
clairetoo

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect that once you lower the pressure enough to get a reasonable amount of grip it will be like driving through treacle..........and then bang goes the economy , surely a major reason for building it ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

iank

posted on 4/8/08 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
The custom chopper people in the states currently use 300mm bike tyres for the rear, which 'could' work.

http://www.chubbyschoppers.net/widetirekits.htm

I like the 'would not us it in the rain' considering where you live

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.