Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wow this looks very easy
iank

posted on 5/8/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

1) is 6oz cloth per square yard? That's 203 grammes per square metre. So he uses 400 gsm in total on each side. That's really light weight. Have I got the maths right?

Your maths is correct. 203.434485 to be pointlessly over accurate.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

2) 2 layers of cloth? No mat in between? I thought that was a big no-no? Is it alright or is it likely to delaminate?

I have never heard of this requirement, nor have I seen any aeroplane wings models or real ever using a mat layer. Mat is a cheap bulking material usually quite inferior to cloth. I does however have good abilities to stop tears spreading but if a woven cloth is orientated properly i.e. the weave of the second layer is a 45 deg to the last the tears are prevented. Delimitations are usually due to too thick a resin layer between cloths like if one is laid on top of the other after the first has cured (try to apply all layers at the same time and work round the object) or sometimes cloths do not like to be laid on top of themselves like Kevlar, glass or carbon should be between layers of that material. Another thing that can cause problems is the wax used in the resin itself which comes out over the outer surface when the resin cures is often not removed (actually few people even know about this at all) and if the next layer is added effectively adds a release agent between layers. Its that reason that every layer should be sanded before the next layer is added.

[Edited on 5/8/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jesus-Ninja

posted on 5/8/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent! So do we reckon there's no SVA isue with the driver position? ie in front of the front axle line? I'm looking at the same issue myself with my design.

Suspension geometry tool here >>> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81376

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus-Ninja
Excellent! So do we reckon there's no SVA isue with the driver position? ie in front of the front axle line? I'm looking at the same issue myself with my design.

put simply no but for full type approval I think this is no longer allowed

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bilbo

posted on 5/8/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not sure there are any SVA issues, but there could potentially be amputation issues involving blunt objects (eg BMW X5 or similar)

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

scootz

posted on 5/8/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... !

I will not allow it... do you hear me? I strictly forbid anyone from doing it... just... just... just... BECAUSE!

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bilbo
quote:

Not sure there are any SVA issues, but there could potentially be amputation issues involving blunt objects (eg BMW X5 or similar)

Can’t say I'd agree, I doubt a flimsy wishbone setup is going to do anything to stop a speeding car. More important is the structure in front of your feet. With the 3-wheeler above I'd be happier if the chassis extended right forward and indeed looking at some of the cars in the forum that folk are building there are a few who have done just that. It's easy to assume that body shell is flimsy but it has a very high strength to weight ratio which is what’s important in a crash.

scootz

posted on 5/8/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Oh... go on then!
Jesus-Ninja

posted on 5/8/08 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
for full type approval I think this is no longer allowed

<ignorance> Full type? </ignorance>

Suspension geometry tool here >>> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81376

D Beddows

posted on 5/8/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
A naked Doran looks a lot like a fwd 3 wheel Lotus Excel might have done.........

Doran Linky

iank

posted on 5/8/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
for full type approval I think this is no longer allowed

<ignorance> Full type? </ignorance>

What Henry Ford and friends need to make a million cars without each one being tested individually.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Howlor

posted on 5/8/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen the Boonie Bug. I may see if I can releive the camper on my drive of it's chassis and running gear! Although brother may not be too chuffed as freshly restored to show n shine standard

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
yeah they look quite cool, straight out of scooby doo

going by the headlights which are the splity and early bug ones thats actually quite a large van.

[Edited on 5/8/08 by Mr Whippy]

jambojeef

posted on 5/8/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am the only one who isnt coo-ing over this design?!

Perhaps its an early 80s forgotten gem but I cant see it Im afraid!

If you really want 3 wheels on your wagon get a Robin

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/08 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
sure the one in the picture looks like an 80's spaceship that's wings have fallen off but this car can look like anything you want since it's sculptured, don't like a bit then change it. I'm very tempted to make a new body for my beach buggy too, one that has a roof and doors. Using this method the only limits my imagination scary! and no SVA either

akumabito

posted on 7/8/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
That trimagnum really needs a jet engine. On youtube I've seen some rather nice twin-turbine jet engines made of old turbos, that should do nicely - and properly match the vehicle's looks
Vindi_andy

posted on 2/7/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ive gotta say I quite like the look of the XR-3
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.