Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP de-dion fuel tank!
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
HELP de-dion fuel tank!

Right, I'm trying to get the fuel tank sorted for my GTS W7DE and really struggling now.

Basically, all the tanks I've seen/looked at/come close to buying just don't fit because the panhard rod to the de-dion bar gets in the way. I've done a search on here and the general answer is "have one made up".

Now, I know the first response is going to be "get a customer tank made, speak to xxxx" - thank you, this is already the main option. I've got a few people in line for this, but they can't make anyting without specs or technical drawings. So what designs am I going to use?

Issue #1 - Anyone who knows me will know i'm no anorexic, and as such i don't really like the idea of the entire fuel tank sitting behind me on the drivers side. I'd like to try and equal the weight distribution nicely across the car.

Someone else out there must have a GTS or locost with a de-dion rear setup and have pics or diagrams of the fuel tank they have and how it's fitted???

I thought I remembered seeing a discussion on here quite a while back, but couldn't find it using the trusty search function....

You've yet to let me down people, so lets start the idea ball rolling!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

big-vee-twin

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there, you are quite right it is very tight, mine is mounted slightly to the drivers side, but not to far over to worry about distribution.

The Panard rod is very close to the tank and I have slightly bent the rod to help clearance.

Personally I think at the chassis end of the Panard rod, the bracket could do with moving forward slightly which would sort out the clearance issue.

[img] Fuel Tank In
Fuel Tank In
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

ceebmoj

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
there was recently a thread on hear called "Life-Taker is done" they had located there fuel tank in the passenger foot well at the front. If you are really concerned about weight distribution and space at the back it seams like a good idea.

Life-Taker is done link

[Edited on 6/12/12 by ceebmoj]

Macbeast

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I made up a couple of rectangles from square section to raise the tank a few inches above the chassis rails. I'll try to find a pic.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - it's not so much the space at the back that worries me, i just don't want the entire fuel tank all on the RHS along with the driver!

I wonder how much space you'd lose in the footwell, and what effect this would have on passenger height....

Still, my preference would be to try and fit the tank in the back where i think it belongs. All alternative ideas though!

Macbeast

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
something like this :-
The RHS tank strap does not go through the filler though

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the piccy!

Unfortunately the previous owner (read as "John Wayne" has alredy put the bodywork on, so this means I have to drill the rivets off and remove the rear panel.

Times like this i wish I had bought a new kit myself.... :S

mistergrumpy

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I modified the end of the panhard rod to take a spherical bearing then I could move the rod slightly towards the rear and missed the fuel tank.
Macbeast

posted on 6/12/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm only guessing now but I think you could mount the standoffs working from umderneath.

mark chandler

posted on 6/12/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Why not keep things simple, use stiff card and make a tank from this, then just fold flat and give to whoever will weld up what you want

Easier for both of you as they will look to make as many folds as possible to minimise welding so will make a nice template that can be laid over a sheet and marked out, which is what they may choose to do anyway from drawings.

masterblaster

posted on 9/12/12 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I placed the tank on top of the diff with a special made frame. it also holds the diff in place on the backend (2 bolts)
I had the same issue. Problems with the connections of the fuellines and it is very close near the tank.

jwallbank

posted on 9/12/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
De Dion & Tank

Hi,
My build has a GTS WIDE back end with a de-dion axle. I bought a OBP Locost tank which fits perfectly in the GTS back end with 1 slight mod. The fuel outlet on the tank is on the right hand side of the long forward facing side just above the panhard rod which was useless. I had this moved to the side by a friend with TIG capabilities. The only other minor irritation was that the fuel gauge sender that they supply with it is too long - the swing arm is longer then the distance between then hole and the centre baffle, so had to shorten it.

I'll put some pictures in my archive. Should know how to insert them in a post by now, tried but without sucess, so I hope someone will tell me how shortly!!

Cheers

John W

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.