Board logo

Heat wrap Cable ties
MsD - 30/4/11 at 03:42 PM

I hope this is the right section...

Can anyone give me some advice on getting my metal cable tie's tight on my exhaust heatwrap?
Ive tried a few different ways, but nothing seems to make the tie's grip the wrap.

10 x EXHAUST HEAT WRAP STEEL METAL CABLE TIES - 360MM | eBay UK

Any help appreciated!

Thanks Mark

Daddylonglegs - 30/4/11 at 04:04 PM

Not used any myself, but can you not split it lengthwise at the end and tie it like you do a medical bandage? Just a thought.

iscmatt - 30/4/11 at 05:15 PM

they are the same as mine, wet the heat wrap, wrap it on as tight as you can and then use pliers to tighten the metal cable ties.

hth

snakebelly - 30/4/11 at 05:20 PM

gave up with these and in the end used stainless lock wire, very secure and easy to fit even without proper wire locking pliers HTH

iceman26 - 30/4/11 at 05:20 PM

i have got a tool at work to do it is the car on the road or were in preston are you and i can come round
with the tool + banding for you

macc man - 30/4/11 at 08:03 PM

I have used them several times and not had any problems. Could be a poor quality brand of ties?

flak monkey - 2/5/11 at 08:08 PM

Stainless jubilee clips.... the ties are rubbish

adithorp - 2/5/11 at 08:22 PM

As said there's a tool to pull them tight and then cut off the excess. You're welcome to come down and use mine but Icemans is probably easier to get to. Mind the cut end though, it's razor sharp!

oadamo - 2/5/11 at 08:49 PM

put a flat screwdriver edge in the little cut out bit on the clip, then use a pair of thin nose pliers to wind up the tie pressing on the edge of the screwdriver tightering the clip
adam

James - 2/5/11 at 08:51 PM

As above... used stainless lockwire myself.

Dont remember it being difficult to do with that.

Cheers,
JAmes