Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD...1.8T passat
tegwin

posted on 28/12/07 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
WTD...1.8T passat

For some bizare reason I have got it into my head that I want to buy a 1.8T 20V passat (The one with the longitudinal engine and transverse front wheel drive gearbox) To use as my donor vehicle...

So if anyone knows of such a car lying around it would help. (preferably crash/rust damaged)

There are a couple of poor passats going on ebay for around £1.5k....But they are still road legal...and 1.5K seems like a lot of money for something im going to destroy...

Hmm....

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

zilspeed

posted on 28/12/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
You've got a bit confused with the layout here.

The engine is longitudinal - as is the transaxle. That's the VAG B3, B4, B5 and B5.5 layout.

Perfect for a proper mid engined layout as it's very hewlandesque in that respect.

As someone very correctly pointed out to me, it causes the weight distribution to be much more centralised than a transverse mid engine. Especially in an otherwise light car which has very little weight over the fron wheels.

P.S. I still know of one of these boxes for sale all mated up to a Zetec on Dellortos with Weber Alpha

greglogan

posted on 28/12/07 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm your engine choice. Fantastic. I've got an A3 with the 1.8T 180 BHP engine variant with the quattro 'box. The S3 does come in 225BHP guise as well if you want a bit more fun!

Great choice. If my wife wraps the A3 round a lamp post, I know what I'll be doing with the engine!

Greg.

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

onzarob

posted on 28/12/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful with the older ones as they tend to build up sludge around the pickup and run dry.....

My local Scrappy had a few as the Golf boys can't fit them, wrong sump etc for a transverse engine install

onzarob

posted on 28/12/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greglogan
Just to confirm your engine choice. Fantastic. I've got an A3 with the 1.8T 180 BHP engine variant with the quattro 'box. The S3 does come in 225BHP guise as well if you want a bit more fun!

Great choice. If my wife wraps the A3 round a lamp post, I know what I'll be doing with the engine!

Greg.

Thats a transverse install like a Golf, the passat is inline with a transaxel gearbox

greglogan

posted on 29/12/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I often wondered if you could fit a 2wd box to ther bigger bhp engines. I guess not.

Greg.

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

ALEXARAS

posted on 4/1/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
That is an excellent engine to use. Have you founbds adaptors plates and everything needed?
Has anyone done it in the past?
I cant find a thread with more details on the forum.
Please give me a link if you know where it is.

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

blueshift

posted on 4/1/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Very chipable car too, on the standard ECU if you want some more beans. You may have fun with immobiliser functions on the engine ECU unless you have the dash ECU, steering column immobiliser ring etc though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.