Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Just Ordered a Kit
chris mason

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just Ordered a Kit

Ever since calling in too Road Runner on Saturday to look at the SR2, I've been thinking about coming back to the kit car scene.
There's something about that car/package that is very appealing, not quite put my finger on it yet, but there is deffiantely something drawing me in, not sure if it's the freindly atmosphere at the factory, nice touches that i've always felt were missing from other kits, or the engineering that's gone in too some of the components.
for example if you just look at the machining that's gone in to the camber/toe adjusters, and how precise they work/fit. While this wouldn't sound too different to others, you really need to see them to appreciate.

Anyway back to my order
There's a few things here that some who know me might find difficult to understand

Firstly i'm building another 7 after 3.5 years since selling the S2000 Indy,
and secondly, i'm going for a 110bhp car engine

Yes a full mouth watering 110 power horses

As for the colour, It's the same as last time, white body with black/carbon arches, dash, aeroscreen, boot lit etc.

Powder coat will be black and for 1st time i'm having a full cage, not seen the design of it yet, but if it's anything like the rest of the chassis i'm sure it will be fine.

The aim is to build it on a budget while not skimping on quality, things from the last 7 like anodised finishers and stainless brading will be carried over on to this one, i'm slowly building a spec sheet to aim for.

The car will just be a track only car though, i've no interest at the minute about making it road legal, so things like lights and iva compliant parts won't be top of the list, they'll make way for the important bits like brakes and fuel lines too look the part.

I'm going to keep the engine stock and also the retain the stock ecu, until more power is needed, i can't see the need for an aftermarket ecu etc.

The only downside now is waiting for delivery of the Kit, i've not got an exact date yet due to the cage, but my aim is to have it finished in time for Stoneleigh (could be on their stand then )

So for now that's it, i'll sort out a build diary as with previous builds once i get the build underway.

Chris

Here's a picture of their current work in progress car.

[Edited on 11/3/10 by chris mason]

Hammerhead

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
welcome back........can't wait to see the build diary. I think the RRR 7 is very nice and if I was starting again it would be in the top two kits to consider.
Hellfire

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
The kit certainly looks nice Chris but I've not looked at it in any great detail (yet). So what car engine are you putting in it? It's obviously an engine capable of a lot more than 110bhp. I know you and you will ultimately want more

Phil

TimC

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally stated by chris mason on 27th of January 2010 at Oulton Park

I'm done with kits. Never again.

Pfffffffffffff - what are you like/

110bhp car engine... errr Sigma?

Or... MX-5. Shirley that's 118bhp?

[Edited on 11/3/10 by TimC]

fesycresy

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
110bhp ?

So Chris, what engine are you really putting in then ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

scootz

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
PINTO-POWER!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

iank

posted on 11/3/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
K series?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

welderman

posted on 11/3/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
welcome back Chris, but cec, whats all that about, is it a big V8 with 110bhp/cylinder

Will be looking forward to this one.

Joe

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

adithorp

posted on 11/3/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have I been asleep and missed the rest of March? It seems to be April 1st already!
In the words of Jim Royal; "110bhp CEC my arse!"

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

gingerprince

posted on 11/3/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Make yer bl00dy mind up
StevieB

posted on 11/3/10 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Looking forward to seeing the build.

I'm currently working toward selling my Indy at the moment and have an eye on the next project. I've alreay decided it'll be MX5 based and have looked at the SR2 as an option alongside the Westy and MNR contenders (as well as considering doing a locost version myself).

I know what you mean - there's something about the SR2 that appeals. I would say it looks a bit like the Westy FW model, but with a few of the flabby lines smoothed out.

Andy D

posted on 11/3/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote

Welcome back! .. just need to get the other Clio-miester back on the rails now.

Will you be keeping the tin top for winter track days?

mad gaz
Builder

Posts 190
Registered 20/9/07
Location doncaster

Photo Archive Go!
Building: indy blade built indy spec r ,another indy r busa

posted on 11/3/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
1600cc then not the 1800 version ,got TURBO written all over this chris .nice one chris glad you ordered the cage,cant wait to see it
chris mason

posted on 11/3/10 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments
Andy i'm sure i'll not be the only ex kitcar owner come clio owner to revert back to 7's, it's just the one your thinking about will take a bit more persuading

Yep it's true i'm fitting a 1600 mx5 engine, beast of a motor it is too, with 110 power horses it will take some taming, compared to the previous engines i've used.

No seriously, this time i'm interested in different things, i've chosen a chassis to suit my requirements rather than an engine. But having said that once i feel the need for more power, a turbo conversion is easily strapped on to these motors, with that it should be good for anywhere between 180 and 250bhp without any major issues

When i get the kit i'll update this thread and also add details/build diary at the website i've used for a few years now Here

StevieB

posted on 12/3/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
The 1800 always sounds a tempting engine from the MX5, but for it's small amount of extra power, it's also a heavier unit as well, which kind of defeats the point a bit.

The only issue with MX5 engines is the seeming lack of tuning options - seems to be restricted pretty much to induction, exhaust and supercharger/turbo. Having said that, a supercharger is always a sweet thing to have

chris mason

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just been and collected the doner

Managed to pick up a 1992 1.6i for £450

Just need to remove the following parts ready to be cleaned up.

Front uprights
Front Brakes
Engine and ancillaries
Gearbox
Engine wiring loom and ecu
Propshaft
Diff
Driveshafts
Rear uprights
Rear Brakes
Steering column
Handbrake Lever and cable (these don't need modifying which is a bonus)

I thinks that's about it.

Just need the rest of the kit now

[Edited on 12/3/10 by chris mason]

welderman

posted on 16/3/10 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
im getting excited, obviously it dont take much, lol.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Hellfire

posted on 16/3/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I presume that in general, the MX5 running gear is lighter than Sierra stuff? What weight are you hoping for Chris?

Phil

chris mason

posted on 18/3/10 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
im getting excited, obviously it dont take much, lol.

Do you know something i don't

I'm led to believe Phil, that the green one on their wesite weighed in at 560kgs wet, and i've no reason to doubt them either.
So based on that i'd like it too come in at 550kgs with a cage, but that might be pushing it a bit

As for sierra v mx5 doner parts, i'd say every single part is a bit lighter (engine/gearbox excluded)
The early 1.6 mx5 runs 230mm discs whereas the sierra's ran 240 and 260mm, the sierra disc rear is 256, but the mx5's are 235mm iirc, the calipers are smaller and the diff is too.

I suppose i could weigh a few parts and put the details up incase anyone's interested

A quick update too, i've stripped the car and am about to start the lovely task of de-resting and painting

Stoneleigh looks a bit optomistic at the minute

Chris

jacko

posted on 20/3/10 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris i have just found this post it's great to know you are building again
Hope to see you soon
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 20/3/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
ust to add a little more about the SR2 kit - Road Runner have now upodated their website and there's some CAD details of the chassis.

t looks good to me and is quite a bit diferent from the usual book derived stuff. Just gone to the top of my 'next project list'

TimC

posted on 21/3/10 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
ust to add a little more about the SR2 kit - Road Runner have now upodated their website and there's some CAD details of the chassis.

t looks good to me and is quite a bit diferent from the usual book derived stuff. Just gone to the top of my 'next project list'

Interesting. Some aspects look similar to my Steve Hignett RGB chassis.

I'm still not sure about using the 'proper' orientation of spherical bearings on a road car. I would imagine the need for high articulation rose joints to cope with UK potholes, speedbumps etc. Whats the score on this Chris?

chris mason

posted on 21/3/10 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
They're fine Tim, i've seen a chassis built up with the damper removed, the rose joint allowed the wishbones to move way higher than the bodywork would allow (and damper) and they also allowed enough droop for average off roader type course.

A few quick calcs show that assuming the lever length is 500mm, then 20% articulation of the joint allows just over 180mm of movement.

I've no idea what angle the chassis/joints allow or lever lengths, but i have seen the wishbones move throughtout there travel in both directions and the rose joint was well within it's limits.

Just waiting for the cage to be fitted to the chassis and then it's off for powdercoat

Going to writing up some kind of build diary HERE as the build moves along

Chris

TimC

posted on 21/3/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
They're fine Tim...

Cool. I did suspect that the problem was with my perception and not the car.

Hellfire

posted on 30/3/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Its just great to see some old names back on this site...

Welcome back Chris - sounds like a nice project!

Steve

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.