Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil extractor / pump
dan__wright

posted on 18/1/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
oil extractor / pump

looking at getting one, are they any good and has anyone used one sucesfully on a bec?

i would like a combined air and manual operated one (air for when at home, manual for when im not)
sealy one is about £120

unless they dont require that much effort?

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

v8kid

posted on 18/1/11 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I use a vacuum operated one made from a recycled gas canister to retain the old oil with a bit of exhaust pipe welded on to take the vacuum nozzle and a stiff tube to suck the oil up with.
Works a treat. With the workshop Vac its out in a jiffy - using a battery vac is a bit slower. Makes one heck of a difference if the oil is cold though!
I only use it on the Locost though 'cos with the dry sump tank its easy to make sure its empty. On the tintop after sucking the oil out there is still some oil in the sump so you have to take the sump plug out anyhow.
Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kriss

posted on 18/1/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
how do you get oil out without removing the sump plug guys?

I have just bought a cheap siphon kit and thought about other uses, one bing oil extraction and maybe using the dip stick hole on my VAG TDi.

With my R1 BEC I dont think I can extract from the filler hole

tony-devon

posted on 18/1/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
no wont be able to extract from an R1 engine that way, why not just undo the drain plug LOL

I have a suction pump for when I had the smart car, got it from a marine chandlers place, was about £40 I think, great bit of kit and worked well

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 18/1/11 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need anything so sophisticated either the simple hand pump vacuum bottle or a 12v electric type will do the job without any bother.
Speed of operation is limited by the diameter of the bore of the suction pipe. I use one of these

Don't buy Sealey they are rebranded items and have a substantial price mark up. Buy from a yacht chandlers for vacuum extractors Pela or Seago brands are best Silverline are lower quality but about 40% cheaper. Do google shopping search on either brand name ir "Pela oil" or "Seago Oil".

For a 12v pump type see ebay item 160532753773

I also use a small Silve line Vacuum Extractor bottle for brake fulid and coolant.

[Edited on 18/1/11 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 18/1/11 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kriss
how do you get oil out without removing the sump plug guys?

I have just bought a cheap siphon kit and thought about other uses, one bing oil extraction and maybe using the dip stick hole on my VAG TDi.

With my R1 BEC I dont think I can extract from the filler hole

Normal way used by the commercial types is to put a very small bore semi-rigid pipe down the dipstick hole --- usually the last 1000mm of the suction tube is made from Bowden cable outer cable.

Even when fully warm engine oil will need quite a high vacuum to flow at any useful rate through such a small bore so a syphon is probably a non-starter.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

a4gom

posted on 18/1/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I use one of these too on my tin tops

fantastic peice of kit, cuts down on the crawling about on the floor and some of the mess but you'll still need to swap the filter so some mess there.

OIL MUST BE WARM! Cold oil you are wasting your time, I usually do it on an evening when I've driven home from work, pull up in the car, lift the lid and stick the pipe down the dipstick tube, a dozen or so pumps on the vacuum then in for my tea. When I come out I wiggle the pipe about a bit with a few more pumps but generally it's all out.

With regards the R1, if you find anywhere to stick the pipe in please let me know, I haven't managed yet.

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

dan__wright

posted on 18/1/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a4gom
I use one of these too on my tin tops

fantastic peice of kit, cuts down on the crawling about on the floor and some of the mess but you'll still need to swap the filter so some mess there.

OIL MUST BE WARM! Cold oil you are wasting your time, I usually do it on an evening when I've driven home from work, pull up in the car, lift the lid and stick the pipe down the dipstick tube, a dozen or so pumps on the vacuum then in for my tea. When I come out I wiggle the pipe about a bit with a few more pumps but generally it's all out.

With regards the R1, if you find anywhere to stick the pipe in please let me know, I haven't managed yet.

does it take much effort to dit it? half the reason i was looking at the air on was laziness
if its not much effort i will get a cheaper manual only one.

are those ones big enough for a normal oil change?

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

britishtrident

posted on 18/1/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
That type is big enough to take the contents of a medium sized car sump with almost a litre to spare.
About 20 pumps then leave to do its' stuff, takes about 4 to 5 minutes --- I usually give it a few more pumps to speed things up.

This one is slightly bigger

http://www.marinesuppliesdirect.co.uk/seago-extract-it-sea6-oil-extractor-770-p.asp

[Edited on 18/1/11 by britishtrident]

Kriss

posted on 19/1/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote

This is what I bought, and I have plenty of other hose in similar diameters to use (about 12mm)

So in theory, could I stick it down the dip stick tube and pump to get the flow going and empty into an old oil can?

Saves getting my A4 on axel stand (too low for ramps) and pulling off the floor belly pan etc)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.