Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm geniunly concerned for us all - the state of the roads!
carpmart

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm geniunly concerned for us all - the state of the roads!

I have to say that I'm pretty concerned about driving the kit this spring/summer/autumn as the roads have now just deteriorate to such an extent, that for small, light cars with smallish diameter wheels, and the size of some of the craters, I can see a serious accident looming!

I know the country is skint BUT there has to be a duty of care to the driving public. Speed doesn't necessarily kill and yet there was a significant investment in a 'solution' using cameras. The poor state of the roads WILL be killing people, nothing is being done!

I know I can use upmystreet etc to report local problems but my point is a more general observation about the infrastructure as a whole, which is helping to turn us into a third world country.

I'm seriously considering a 4x4 just to get around!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

blakep82

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
saw a few 9 inch deep, and wide pot holes. also, some 9 inch wide ones that go right across the whole road. an absolute disgrace.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure the duty of care only goes if its above a certain set diameter.

If its not deep enough etc. they say they are not at fault - if it is big enough though, they are liable.

flibble

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, some of them would be scary to hit in a 7.. dread to think about what would happen on a bike!
jacko

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
+++ and + to what you say start reporting them
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
going to attach a small camera to my car when i'm back in glasgow on thursday to film some of them to complain to the council lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JoelP

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
they resurfaced 2/3 the width of my street, and left the rest. Surely one the machines are there its cheaper to just do the lot?! Especially since its the joins that fail first,

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Kwik

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
its awful round here, especially in my mini, speed bumps are painful enough with the hard suspension, i dread to think what a pothole would do. im on 12inch rims, imagine a mini with only 10inch rims...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
maryhill road in glasgow's right down the original cobble stones under the tarmac. interesting to see they're not coming up in any place, just the tarmac

dhutch

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
they resurfaced 2/3 the width of my street, and left the rest. Surely one the machines are there its cheaper to just do the lot?! Especially since its the joins that fail first,
This is what I dont get.

They did a road near us, was about 30% patch before they start and they have just spent to days on a mile adding more. It wasnt close to flat the day the left it and in places its coming up now.

Clearly there is a time and a place where a patch makes economical sense, but in general I would rather have some areas that are left to and worse, and have the bits that are done to be right rather than have it all badly bodged.

Daniel

mookaloid

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
There's a web page on my council web site for reporting potholes.

I sometimes think that if nobody tells them where the potholes are - how will they know?

We all winge about them but how many of us actually take the trouble to help the council by telling them where they are?

I reported about ten three weeks ago and it took about ten days but they did fill them all in.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

A1

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
you should see edinburgh, thanks to the tram disgrace (which used ALL our money) the roads have been patched together temporarily. theyve taken to running into the road and patting some tar into the craters...after the first but has gone over it its out again.
what the hell are we paying taxes for?!

im sure its the same story everywhere, but im amazed at how bad it is here

indykid

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
i got 2 pinch flats in the first 9 miles of a 30 mile ride today, both from realistically unavoidable potholes.

you think potholes are dangerous in a car? they're worse on a pushbike!

blakep82

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
There's a web page on my council web site for reporting potholes.

I sometimes think that if nobody tells them where the potholes are - how will they know?

ooh, glasgow though, they're every 5 meters. they can't miss them!

i find for my own local council, if you report a fault they sort it the next day. awesome service, but glasgow, they haven't even put a temp fill in them, suspension actually bottoms out even at 5mph on some of the ones you can't miss

Moorron

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
good job i own a 4 x 4 aswell. But round here in the midlands i am now seeing not just holes, but whole sections of road sinking. I make a point of driving round them and hope i get pulled one day for it so i can say i was driving to the condition of the road.

I would not like to own a bike as most of the bad parts would easily throw you off.

I also hate how the councils say if we dont tell them then how do they know! its like me saying 'unless i get pulled for not having tax/insurance/mot by a copper then how am i suppose to know!" that really grinds my gears.

I feel that the roads are so bad here in places, that the roads should be closed. I agree that if they cared for road safety just like speed cams then this would have been done last year. They are not spending money fixing them and i feel ripped off buy it.

how will it get better? i dont think it will as the money needed to replace so much road (not just filling the holes) isnt there so its only going to get worse.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

zilspeed

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
The country's screwed.

We can't afford it is the bottom line.
If we spent what needs spent on the roads, there would be sod all for anything else.

I don't see the roads being brought back to what you would call a generally acceptable standard in my lifetime.
I really genuinely mean that.

The problem is so widespread now that it would take money that we as a country do not have.

Unless someone discovers an exportable commodity or service, it won't be happening.

owelly

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
On my way to work there's a 'Temporary Road Surface' sign just before you get the the first bunch of huge potholes. 18 miles later, there's one for the traffic coming the other way. The local council say they have 'fulfilled their duty' by warning road users!! They did put some stuff in the holes but it was spread out all over the bits of road that weren't damaged by the end of the day. I drive on the grass verge now. It's smoother.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

RoadkillUK

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
There's an app for that (well android anyway)

Fixmystreet - Link to Android Market.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

ashg

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
i agree the local roads are shocking in the uk. i was in belguim last week and i can safely say their local roads are a lot worse, so much so that i have bucked a wheel on the brand new 2 week old 60 reg company car which i will have to explain to my boss on monday.

[Edited on 13/2/2011 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Ninehigh

posted on 13/2/11 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
So why can't we sack the people concerned? We do "pay" their wages after all

I wonder what would happen to a lawsuit against these people for stealing our money (it is theft after all, they just call it paying) and not even doing anything with it.

nitram38

posted on 13/2/11 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
The country's screwed.

We can't afford it is the bottom line.
If we spent what needs spent on the roads, there would be sod all for anything else.

I don't see the roads being brought back to what you would call a generally acceptable standard in my lifetime.
I really genuinely mean that.

The problem is so widespread now that it would take money that we as a country do not have.

Unless someone discovers an exportable commodity or service, it won't be happening.

You seem to have fallen for the bull that is being spouted by the government.

There is plenty of tax money on fuel and road tax, paid for by the motorist that is being diverted to pay for non-road services.
If they spend our road generated taxes on the road we would have immaculate roads

blakep82

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
^ i think you're right! but there's not many medicine generated taxes, so if taxes are only spent on where they are generated, i don't think there would be much cash for the hospitals.

so, yeah, i agree they should be spent where its generated, but i don't think its practical plus is the country still billions of £ in debt?

coyoteboy

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
But if you had a car crash you'd be screwed due to the non-functional NHS
Ninehigh

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
plus is the country still billions of £ in debt?

Like I say, they stole it off us and lost it.

Ivan

posted on 14/2/11 at 03:49 AM Reply With Quote
This is a symptom of a common phenomenon in the third world - and now more recently in the first - it's a simple phenomenon known as "asset stripping"

They stop spending on proper routine maintenance of infrastructure so they can spend more on the touchy feely aspects of the business which generally garners more votes - and on a burgeoning administration. They rely on the inbuilt safety margin of the infrastructure and generally it will respond by surviving for ten years or so, but then once it starts failing they have to totally rebuild it to get proper service from it. But at that stage they have lost most of the skills needed to properly manage it (the engineers), and also no longer have the income to properly manage it as it has all gone to the touchy feely things and the burgeoning administration.

The next phase is to let things get so bad that there is a public outcry - votes become at risk - and they start speaking of new taxes to cover the cost of the infrastructure upgrades, and because voters are so fed up with the state of things they agree - the politicians then look like heroes for saving the day.

The right way to do things is to strip the administration, trim the touchy feelies, re-employ the engineers, fire all the politicians who voted for reduced maintenance in the first place, and start rebuilding the infrastructure.

The bad news is that roads and lack of proper policing are the fist sign of problems, water and sanitation and lastly electricity problems will soon follow.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.