Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wanted: bolt on rear hub & VW/Audi rear calipers
dan__wright

posted on 17/4/11 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
wanted: bolt on rear hub & VW/Audi rear calipers

had the back end apart for the last 6 months while changing over to a 3.14 diff and bolt in shafts, everything back together and start tightening it all up and the NS/R wheel has loads of play in it! When striping it all down i cough the stub axle on the vice and it ended up with a burr on it, filed and sanded this away so the bearing would go on but guess i put a flat spot on it and it now has lots play, what makes it even worse is the fact i had them put on a lathe last week to take the abs teeth and a little bit of material down to the bolt on flanges (for clearance) and im going to have to pay for that again!

it gets better, i thought i would continue with bolting calipers etc on where possible then i ran into another issue! while i was building the new rear end i swapped to billet bearing carriers as then came up at a good price, what i didnt realise at the time is that flange the 4 bolts go through into the upright is thicker, not normally a problem but im using bolt on carrier brackets so carriers now wont fit on, really not happy! put the wheel back on and went inside to sulk!

as im going to have get weld brackets on i may as well change to the Golf calipers that seem quite popular as rear calipers were on my list to sort at some point.

so in short after sierra rear NS stub and a set of the golf callipers, beer tokens waiting!

hopefully i will get it back on the road while the weather is still good.

Edit: Scap that, its not the stub axle tha takes the bearing, its the hub (that takes teh wheel studs) so if anyone has a bold on hab goin ........ ive got some push on ones but the splinnes are different size.

[Edited on 17/4/11 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/4/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need bigger rear discs too. 273mm rings a bell from a cosworth. Little bit tricky to get hold of.

The golf caliper sticks out more if using golf carrier brackets....oh and they dont go under 13's

[Edited on 17/4/11 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.