Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Advertising why ?
steve m

posted on 2/10/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Advertising why ?

While watching the touring cars, and every were you look from cars to track banners, even crash helmets, there is advertising
Ok its good to keep the costs down, to us the buyer/ watcher, but what do these investers see as hard earned cash?

I have never bought a thing of a brand that i would not use, with out having a recomondation from a friend or family.
so why would i or any other sane human being buy somthing beacuse "they saw an advert on some fany race car" or TV advert

My thinking is, examples, TV advert for repalcment windows, me thinks, yes thats for me. do i ring them up. book, pay, and get a poor job done,

NO, i ask my friends, neighbours etc, who did the best job, best price, etc and get the best deal for my money

Equally just because some fancy Audi on ITV is swanning about, do i want to buy one,

No, i like my Mondeo!!

I do not get the advertising hype

Steve

dave

posted on 2/10/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
The fact that you are talking about it shows it works. You might not buy anything from seeing the adverts however, some people will.

Take that god awful Go Compare advert ask anyone and they usually say its annoying but, i bet the same people will check out the website if they are looking for insurance.

mookaloid

posted on 2/10/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Brand awareness

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

JoelP

posted on 2/10/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
You might not buy something off the back of an advert, however if you've never heard of them then you certainly wont buy it! Word of mouth is of course far better though.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeR

posted on 2/10/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
The buying process has something like 7 stages.

(i did my marketing course 20 years ago so this is very rusty).

Its something like "identify need", "identify companies to fulfill need", "refine companies" etc etc. The final section is 'reassure me i made a good decision'.

Advertising covers the 'identify companies" section & if they're doing well a bit of the 'reassure me i made a good decision'.

Of course you can also use the advertising to create perks - sponsor a car company racing and get tickets to watch the racing as part of the deal which you then make into competitions for your customers etc etc.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/10/11 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave
The fact that you are talking about it shows it works. You might not buy anything from seeing the adverts however, some people will.

Take that god awful Go Compare advert ask anyone and they usually say its annoying but, i bet the same people will check out the website if they are looking for insurance.

Iirc their traffic went up something like 137% because of that..

It's to get that name in your head, even with someone like yourself who takes personal reccomendation surely you've asked a question like "I'm after a new cooker have you used xyzbrand?" as opposed to "I'm after a new cooker what would you reccommend?"

By the way the new thing in advertising is by paying your friends to advise a particular brand.

blakep82

posted on 2/10/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
i guess a company that puts a lot into advertising will put a bit more confidence into their products.

LCD tvs... you have Sony, Panasonic, LG, Goodmans, Technika etc

technika and goodmans might be every bit as good as the others, but i think becuase you never hear of them or see them advertised, straight away you discount them, and then look for recommendations from friends etc on the others, Sony, Panasonic, LG etc.
of course if goodmans made as good an advert as sony, i might consider them, but i'll stick with Sony or LG myself
thats how i think it works anyway, not that you'd see an advert and automatically think 'must buy that...'

[Edited on 2/10/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ninehigh

posted on 3/10/11 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Good point. It's like Ohn.. I've never seen them advertised so I can only persume it's Asda cheapo brand, but then it could be made by Sony and sold under licence

Talon Motorsport

posted on 3/10/11 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
Another thing to consider is that racing is bloody exspensive even if it is a factory team it all has to be paid for by some body. Its not just 1 car a driver and 5-6 pit crew,theres the other 2-3 shells that had to be caged ready to be made up, and the 50-100 people that all get paid a wage. Unless your car is red with a black horse on it's nose the only way to pay for it is to cover the car, truck, overalls and every thing else in the brands that have put money in to the team.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 3/10/11 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
I am not questioning the why the advertisers put there money into a bottomless pot, but what do they get out of it ?

Just because a car has a Dunlop or shell sticker on it, does not mean we all go out and buy Dunlop tyres and shell oil
likewise, a helmet advertising some printer cartridge company (i cant remember the name) does not make us find the website and order
20k worth of printer accessories

It does not work like that in the real world

mad gaz
Builder

Posts 190
Registered 20/9/07
Location doncaster

Photo Archive Go!
Building: indy blade built indy spec r ,another indy r busa

posted on 3/10/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I think your missing the point . Name on the car hospitality tickets for top customers .Dunlop etc taking big wigs from haulage firms etc for a free day out and very tax effective and more orders for more tyres
scootz

posted on 3/10/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I am not questioning why the advertisers put there money into a bottomless pot, but what do they get out of it... ?

Status!

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
It does not work like that in the real world...

Clearly it does... or they wouldn't be doing it!

It's Evolution Baby!

swanny

posted on 3/10/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
i dont know, i feel a bit more positvely towards a drinks brand like Relentless becaused they had sponsored a le mans car a year or two ago. the effect of advertising isnt obvious in most cases, its tiny, on a pretty much sub conscious level i think.

for sponsors there are any number of reasons. it may be down to a fun way to spend some company cash for a director, an ego trip as others have said, or a good way to impress clients by dragging them along to events.

[Edited on 3/10/11 by swanny]

blakep82

posted on 3/10/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
i'd have never thought of buying kuhmo tyres, thought they were just a nasty cheap brand, til they started to sponsor the scottish XR2s at knockhill a few years back, then you start to think, if the XR2s are racing on them, they can't be that bad... then i'm more likely to buy them. ok i haven't, so i don't know if they are that good lol

as for those printer cartridges, chances are, if they hadn't advertised on that helmet, you may never have heard of that company. next time you go to get printer cartridges you might get a shock on the prices in tesco, pc world or wherever you buy from. you might think 'wonder what that place sells them for...' ok, maybe not you, but other people maybe.

I've seen places advertised that i've not heard of before and looked them up to find out

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 3/10/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's stupid when the winner of a race puts 2 baseball caps on - presumably he's under contract to wear them when in front of the camera, but it just looks silly...

Macbeast

posted on 3/10/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Who actually pays for advertising ? The companies that DON'T advertise, that's who

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

loggyboy

posted on 3/10/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad gaz
Name on the car hospitality tickets for top customers .Dunlop etc taking big wigs from haulage firms etc for a free day out and very tax effective and more orders for more tyres

Very much that, its all about impressing your clients rather than your customers. The smaller the sponsorshpi the more likely it is there for hospitality alone.
I recal an old colleauge of mine from a place I used to work getting VIP treatment from Rob Collards BTCC team as Collards Demolition wanted to do work for the company. He throws a couple of jobs there way and gets invited back in the future.

Confused but excited.

posted on 3/10/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Company big wigs get tax free perks.
Days out at the race track. . .
A friend works at a fairly high level for an oil company.
He and his son got a few days out in Bahrain, all expenses paid (flights and accomodation, 1st class), in the pits to meet the drivers etc.
That's why they do it.

[Edited on 3/10/11 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Ninehigh

posted on 3/10/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Plus if they pay, say £20k for the sticker, and it generates £20 of sales then bonus

RK

posted on 4/10/11 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
We had to run Toyo Tires stickers on our cars one event a couple of years ago, because they were an event sponsor (what did I get out of it? Sweet FA, I mean, nothing; when I didn't win, I didn't get any free tyres or even a discount??). BUT I did think of R888's first when I thought of upgrading my rubber on my car. We only get the hard compounds here in Canada, so they are not the best for a 7 apparently. So I had to give my head a shake and start thinking before committing to buy tyres. THAT is why they sponsor things. Because it leads to more money in their pocket.
fullpint

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
It works.......
I've just ordered my sign writting for the Mk Indy. Had it on my previous works van (which was also yellow) and it really does catch the eye. Had a few calls from people who said they saw the van, with the Mk Indy being a real eye catcher I'm hoping for a few calls or hits on the web site. It only take 1 in a 1,000 to pay for its self

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Furyous

posted on 8/10/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
As an example, when you buy cola you will most likely reach for Coca Cola or Pepsi because they have such a large market presence. Clive's Courageous Cola might be much better but you haven't heard of them, so you assume they must be like Tesco value cola or Panda cola. You don't see a Coca Cola advert and think "Yes, I really must go out right now and buy Coca Cola and disregard all others". But it puts it in your mind that they're a big company with big sales, which must mean they're a good brand. Clive's Courageous Cola can't be very good if no one is buying it, and you know no one is buying it because you've never heard of them.

So when you see Yokohama, Toyo, Dunlop and so on plastered all over everything, you get the impression that they must be big sellers, and if they sell a lot they must be good. When you go to buy new tyres they spring to mind first and you investigate which particular Yokohama, Toyo, or Dunlop tyres to buy. You don't go looking for Jingo or Primo tyres.

macc man

posted on 8/10/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I went to an event sponsored by Red Bull. I was given a free can for being a marshall. I thought it tasted awfull, but it goes to show if you plug something enough people will buy it.

RK

posted on 9/10/11 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Coke outsells all the other "colas" by double. And they are definitely not the cheapest.
Peteff

posted on 9/10/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I think it's stupid when the winner of a race puts 2 baseball caps on - presumably he's under contract to wear them when in front of the camera, but it just looks silly...

Two hat is the word that springs to mind A friend of mine bought a couple of F1 caps as presents and that is where they make their money I think, £34.99 for a Vettel Red Bull racing cap.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.