Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GTM Libra Everyday car?
uklee70

posted on 5/12/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
GTM Libra Everyday car?

Hi All

After a very emotional sale of the fiat 500 speedster.

I now have some cash on the hip

I'm looking for a more interesting car as my daily driver don't do many miles.

I have always loved the GTM Libra but i'm not a real fan of K series as an everyday thing. So an engine swap is in mind and I'm either going to go down the VTEC route or as something a little different the Toyota engine in the elise the vvti 190 both 6 speed is there any other engines i should be thinking of?

Has anyone on here have a Libra or know of one that's for sale?

I look forward to your replies

Thanks a very sad Lee

New toy / everyday car needed

gottabedone

posted on 5/12/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well it wasn't quite a Libra but my GTM Rossa was my daily driver for over a year. It was a 1400 K series with a 5 speed box. I soundproofed it, waterproofed it and had 205GTI seats in it so it was comfortable.

There's no reason why you cant. The footwells are quite big so as long as you don't carry a lot of bulky kit you'll be fine

Steve

Simon

posted on 5/12/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see the prob with the K series meself. Wife has one in her ZR (which we've had 8 years) and it's a great little engine.
If you insist on an engine change, I'd consider a diesel

ATB

Simon

andy o

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i see one every morning on my way to work all year round so it can't be a bad every day car
rdodger

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had mine for about 4 years and covered 25000 miles. 3 European tours and many track days.

K series VVC engine was faultless. They are if you have the later head gasket/dowels and in a mid engined car move the thermostat to the other side of the engine. They don't like thermal shock.

I used mine some days. A few others use them daily. One guy I know used his as a company car and did more than 60000 in his. I can't see it being much fun in this weather! It would get very dirty in the engine bay as the rear clam has little in the way of protection for the engine and the inside of the rear screen gets covered if it's raining.

I loved mine and would get another. Look out for one with the Z Cars rear suspension that I had developed. It is a massive improvement.

Check out Team GTM for the knowledge or feel free to u2u with any questions.

inkafone

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Libra for 3 years and it's fine for everyday use. Most have been well built and have the factory recommended interior trim (auto marine). The original rear suspension is good for road use although the ball joints used could benefit from replacing every 20 - 30k. I currently have a Libra Spyder that's being re-fettled - Mk2 rear suspension (pillow joints) and VTEC engine. There's a couple of Libras on pistonheads that are crying out for an engine upgrade and a Spyder VVC on Ebay. The K series engines are well designed & very economical especially the VVC (met one of the original development engineers and he had a VVC in an immaculate metro which with his own designed exhaust cam and timing gave 180BHP+ with the standard ECU) - head gasket problems were mainly freelander & MGF - don't drive it hard from cold.
swanny

posted on 6/12/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
agree that there are some quite cheap libras with the 1400k series that would be ripe for an engine swap.

the membership secretary from the gtmdrivers forum had his for sale, he's used that as his only car for a few years but now has grandkids he wants to ferry about.

if i had a libra i'd be using it every day. even the spyder would work at a push (no problems with my soft - top)

but i'd agree with the k series, properly maintained they can be fine. but they dont seem up to modern standard of fit and forget, in that they seem to actually need checking on every now and again.

very pleased i bought mine.

paul

uklee70

posted on 24/12/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all I'm being mucked around by a guy on piston heads seems like he doesn't want to sell the car keeps saying he has other interested parties
So I'm going to stop chasing him as he won't even let me view it.

But this leaves me on a search for a gtm. Libra and they seem to be a bit thin on the ground

I looking for a car that may need a little work as I am going. to do an engine swap

I have searched the web and come up blank does anyone know of one sale

Thanks for any help Lee

inkafone

posted on 24/12/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Put a wanted ad on the GTMOC site - I think the membership secretary has one for sale. It's a good source of info and they're a friendly bunch.
Stott

posted on 24/12/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I see one in Caerphilly a lot with a gtm plate on it so he manages, it looks really cool and is such a change from seeing the eurobox's queueing (I'm guilty of being in a eurobox)

[Edited on 24/12/12 by Stott]

whitestu

posted on 24/12/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've always liked these as well and considered replacing the Indy with one.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.