Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Better connectors than bullets????
Sloan85

posted on 17/3/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Better connectors than bullets????

Ive got all my electrics working so Im about to go back and tidy it all up. At the minute, Ive used a large amount of bullet connectors for various things but have read bad things about using them (I have used the blue crimp type). I could solder some of these instead or use a better connector if there are any?

At some locations, e.g. headlights, I have used bullet connectors to connect the dominator lights to the loom. Would these be better being a waterproof connector block? I could solder/heatshrink the joints instead but that may cause problems should I need to remove the lights in the future?

Cheers

Dooey99

posted on 17/3/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
plugs like these are good

3 WAY SUPERSEAL WATERPROOF ELECTRICIAL CONNECTOR PLUG KIT MARINE LORRY 12V 24V | eBay

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

ReMan

posted on 17/3/13 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Done properly and living inside a headlight shell, theres no reason whay these should not be fine
Outside and exposed to water, such as under rear arches a waterproof type of bullet or connector would be better
But if its only a dry day car......

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 17/3/13 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with correctly sized, well crimped bullets. IMHO, more reliable than soldered connections. If heat shrinking for waterproofing, go for the glue filled stuff to get the best seal.

Caveat.....buy good quality bullets and a decent rachet crimped!

rost

posted on 18/3/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've become fond of Econoseal Connectors over Superseal, they're a bit easier to work with imho.
For simple connections I still use the regular amp spade connectors, which are reliable enough.

Charlie don't surf!

Confused but excited.

posted on 18/3/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Nothing wrong with correctly sized, well crimped bullets. IMHO, more reliable than soldered connections. If heat shrinking for waterproofing, go for the glue filled stuff to get the best seal.

Caveat.....buy good quality bullets and a decent rachet crimped!

What he said.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

snowy2

posted on 18/3/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have wired some dozen to twenty cars in recent years and with out a doubt the bullet connectors give more trouble than the spade type, that said a decent pair of ratchet crimps will help.....but test them, some very expensive ones dont crimp properly. check each connection by pulling on the wire there should be no movement of the conductor (wire) i tried 3 before i found a good reliable crimp.
soldering is fine if you even half way competent at doing it. However in automotive applications solder joints at terminals are prone to cracking, but tend to be very reliable if positioned mid way along wire runs (earth's are often soldered in this way on cars.)

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/3/13 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
A dab/spray of waxoil or similar over the connectors can make them far more reliable long term. The blue bullets and spades do corrode rather easily. The traditional bullet connectors 9brass) are much better in this respect, and crimpers are available for them too. As are joiners.
Andi

posted on 18/3/13 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dooey99
plugs like these are good

3 WAY SUPERSEAL WATERPROOF ELECTRICIAL CONNECTOR PLUG KIT MARINE LORRY 12V 24V | eBay

I need something like this on the inside of my rear arches.
Are these ok used by themselves or do you need the boot sleeve?
eg
Waterproof Boot/Sleeve for 5 Way AMP Superseal / JPT Electrical Wiring Connector | eBay

Cheers
Andi

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.