Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: re-machining gear dogs
Ashley Jenkins

posted on 27/11/13 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
re-machining gear dogs

hi all,

i am wondering if anybody has done, or has heard of the dogs on motorcycle gearboxes being re-machined. I took some worn gears i have recently removed from my blade engine into work and asked to tool room if it could be done, to which they said yes, easily. i have measured a radius of about 20thou on the dogs which would mean machining 20thou of the face of the dog. The main hurdle i can see, is will 20thou machine through the case hardening? and if so, could the gears be re-case hardened? This is just an idea and if its cost viable would be good to keep as future spares.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance

CNHSS1

posted on 27/11/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not heard of it for bike boxes but have heard of it for aftermarket car dog boxe, such as quaifes, hewlands etc. You may need to google summat like hewland dog reclamation

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

rick1962uk

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
i have had a few done costs a fortune as most are undercut to hold the gear in it cheaper to get from the usa as most are about £40 each
Ashley Jenkins

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean it's cheaper to buy new gears from the USA?
rick1962uk

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
yes by half in some cases i use powersportplus.com the last order took a week to come
Ashley Jenkins

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have just ordered a load of new transmission parts from a company called motosport.com. They were practically 40% of the cost of UK dealers. The only parts they couldn't get to me was sourced from lings Honda. The shipment took 39 hours to come, I watched it on the love tracker periodically when I wasn't sleeping. The service in outstanding, I quite literally couldn't believe it.

In the previous post I more so meant could the gears be recycled, of sorts.

trikerneil

posted on 27/11/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's a reasonably common fix on the Yamaha XS1100 gearbox. Second gear suffers worn dogs which are usually undercut using a Dremel.

Details of procedure HERE.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.