Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bec turbo charger
jlayton

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Bec turbo charger

Hi
Could anyone tell me if this turbo is up to the job for my r1 bec turbo conversion. Wanted to run a t2871r but a bit dear. eBay item number 261849876190 my goal is to run 6/7 psi on std internals and get about 200/225 bhp the forge engine over winter then up boost etc for about 295/300

Thanks in advance

tyrrell

posted on 16/4/15 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
t2871r

what's the point in using a t2871r ?

that a pretty big turbo, completely unnecessary for under 10psi set up.

I ran one of these on my old 200sx at like 18-19psi

jlayton

posted on 17/4/15 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking the t2871r as next yr I'm going to forge the internals etc and turn boost up. And it will save changing the turbo at a later date. Indy bird on here ran a gt2860 with sone good results
imp paul

posted on 17/4/15 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
gt28r is the way spools up very fast, check out seans place big cc racing it mite give you some ideas Rescued attachment CIMG1128 (Medium).JPG
Rescued attachment CIMG1128 (Medium).JPG

[Edited on 17/4/15 by imp paul]

JAG

posted on 17/4/15 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Slight thread hijack - my apologies.

imp paul;

The pipes in your picture attach to the turbo' in your picture - correct?

Does that mean that the exhaust gases from the turbine by-pass valve exit into the engine bay?

Is that normal practice? I've not seen it before but I'm interested in the idea

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

imp paul

posted on 17/4/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
hi the two pipes in my picture , the small pipe is to a external waste gate then a screemer pipe . the large pipe is the exhaust as you can see i modded, the turbo so this is possible removed internal gate, and fitted a petition as you can see

[Edited on 17/4/15 by imp paul]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 17/4/15 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes as imp Paul says,T28's are good for bike engine applications, my Velocity kit on my ZX10r had a T28.

Rescued attachment specr 024 (Small).jpg
Rescued attachment specr 024 (Small).jpg

jlayton

posted on 4/5/15 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi does anyone know the std fuel pressure for the r1 5pw engine. As need to set my new rising rate fpr up
Kind regards

jlayton

posted on 5/5/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
hi
can anyone tell me where to get my water feed from for my turbo, its in a 2003 r1 and where to return it

kind regards

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/5/15 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pressure for a injected 5pw R1 is 42.6psi.
CosKev3

posted on 5/5/15 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlayton
hi
can anyone tell me where to get my water feed from for my turbo, its in a 2003 r1 and where to return it

kind regards

I would guess you will need to add 'T' pieces into rad hoses,get the pipe coming off the T piece to match the diameter of the turbo coolant pipes.

jlayton

posted on 9/5/15 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for the info again, literally im just left with the water feed and return lines this weekend, then im ready to start it up for the first time
has any got a picture of where to pik up and return the water lines. or could hep me with a simply diagram.

as I say all being well it will be completed then apart from a good tune

kind regards once again

jlayton

posted on 20/5/15 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
hi cars all done and running now, first drive out will be this weekend. my question is can anyone help me out with whats an acceptable afr and whats to much and turn off afr . car will be going to pdq very soon but I would like to get a few steady miles on it to see if it throws any surprises up at me

thanks

PAUL FISHER

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
A safe level is between 12.1 and 13.1 on boost until you get it on the dyno, then they may lean it off a bit to around 13.1+ for best power.
Just to add mine zx10r was only running 5 to 6psi.
and will be dependant on intercooler size etc.

[Edited on 20/5/15 by PAUL FISHER]

dave_424

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I would strongly suggest that for boosting on a stock internal engine, AFR at WOT and full boost should be in the 11's, 11.5-11.8 is a good place to be. I believe anything in the 13's is too lean
Spud1985

posted on 20/5/15 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
can you post up a list of items you used for the turbo conversion

looking to do this to my R1 BEC but not sure on all the bits i need to install

Thanks

jlayton

posted on 21/5/15 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
well just had my first drive my afr figures are about 14.7 on tick over and about 10-10.5 when just steady round town (between 3-4k) does miss a little bit at 2-4k to b honest. then when I give it a little bit im see'ing 12-13afr. my problem is its boosting to 8-9 psi running a turbo smart manual boost controller. completely stock so I no this is to high. I want to run 7psi when mapped properly.
my question is will it be ok running 8-9psi for very short burst. or will a digital boost controller bring the psi down and be a lot safer

many thanks

dave_424

posted on 21/5/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
You can't bring down the boost lower than your wastegate spring pressure. To run the lowest boost, run a line from your turbo compressor housing (highest pressure and fastest response location in your system) to the wastage. Are you doing anything to retard your ignition timing? On an untuned engine, non optimised ignition timing and AFR on boost in the 12-13 I wouldn't put it into boost. Only do it for testing when making changes and make sure you keep an eye on things, stuff goes south very quickly.
jlayton

posted on 21/5/15 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Running a Garrett gt2860rs so theres no where for a vacuum line on the compressor housing std ignition also. When say 5 psi of boost is seen the engine management comes on for a brief second I believe I need 2 check valves to the map sensor ? Any help or advice is great
dave_424

posted on 21/5/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, well remove the boost controller and run a single line from a vacuum port to the wastage, this will give you the lowest boost possible with your current wastage spring. I haven't done the check valve to the map sensor before, but makes sense that you don't want the sensor to see boost. So a check valve with the arrow of flow pointing away from the map sensor would be the correct orientation. One thing it might be is that since air isn't actually flowing into the map sensor, it might not be enough the move the check valve ball. Might be worth trying the check valve further away from the map sensor or even a long coil of vac hose between the check valve and the map sensor, allowing more volume of air to fill which might allow the ball in the check valve to move, or delay things so that the check valve can react quick enough
jlayton

posted on 22/5/15 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks again, do you think with a good tune up it will b ok as it is or do I definately need to do timing, is that just a case of getting an ignition module for power commander ?
Thanks again

cloudy

posted on 22/5/15 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
On the MAP sensor front, a far better way than check valves that leak boost is a simple zener limiter circuit - like this (with the zener chosen as the voltage (boost) you want to limit the ECU seeing - GSXR 1000K1 needs under 4.8V before ECU error I think so 4.7V is fine not sure on R1)

www.warnercars.com

jlayton

posted on 23/5/15 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Rite just booked her in at pdq for friday, I spoke to a guy there yesterday who said 12/13 aft is ok at the min but he sed running 10 afr round town is rich as, my question is if u turn the fuel reg down a little will this help. Only want to put a few steady shake down miles on her today
Thanks again

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.