Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: turbo size q
Simon

posted on 7/3/19 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
turbo size q

Ok, I bought a Triumph 955 Daytona for a winter hack and the winter is nearly over so will use other bike.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about turboing it for no other reason than I can but need to know about turbo sizing.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap Chinese turbo that is "suitable for engine sizes 1.6 to 2.5l". the Triumph engine is 955cc and spins twice (10k rpm) as quick as lets say a 1600 crossflow, that puts the size at the lower end of suitability (and will boost higher up the rev range?).

Agree or not or "it's more complicated than that"

Cheers

Shooter63

posted on 7/3/19 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Try a ct9 turbo that was fitted to a Glanza it was 1.3 so should do ok, good for around 220bhp

Shooter

coyoteboy

posted on 7/3/19 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
Try a ct9 turbo that was fitted to a Glanza it was 1.3 so should do ok, good for around 220bhp

Shooter

Really? CT26 fitted to the Celica GT4 is barely capable of 250 (300 having its neck wrung) on the 2 litre 3sgte.

[Edited on 7/3/19 by coyoteboy]

hobbsy

posted on 7/3/19 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a TD04-16T? As fitted to some Volvos?

Depends if you want to keep the budget down and fit used, or even buy a new one but not have to pay loads...

Or C16 Rotrex instead?

Simon

posted on 7/3/19 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at Chinese things for around a £120
hobbsy

posted on 7/3/19 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have no first hand experience of these but potentially they could be a bit poor quality. Or maybe variable quality would be a kinder thing to say.

Personally I'd rather have an OEM quality turbo with eg 70k miles on it than a brand new Chinese one. But that's just my opinion.

Any turbo has the potential to sh#t itself but if we assume it's more likely with a cheap Chinese one bear in mind what could happen to your engine if it's spits it's compressor wheel blades out...

[Edited on 7/3/19 by hobbsy]

CosKev3

posted on 7/3/19 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engines work well with surprisingly big turbos, look at most boosted Busas and they are running Gt30's and 35's.

On my R1 I charged I had a GT2556s on it,comes off some derv tractors as standard!
I had to use a 38mm external wastegate as the internal gate wasn't big enough and it was over boosting.
It spooled up lovely,and made the car totally different to drive as the torque was much higher.
But if I did it again I would go for a bigger turbo, I reckon a GT2860rs would be ideal.

flak monkey

posted on 7/3/19 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have a TF035 Subaru turbo here which is about the ideal size for a 1000cc bike engine if you want something ride able on the road, but it totally depends on your power goals.

What are you actually aiming for? Driveability? All out power? Somewhere in between?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

hobbsy

posted on 7/3/19 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I guess you've also got to think of boost levels vs static compression vs turbo size etc
Simon

posted on 7/3/19 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I have a TF035 Subaru turbo here which is about the ideal size for a 1000cc bike engine if you want something ride able on the road, but it totally depends on your power goals.

What are you actually aiming for? Driveability? All out power? Somewhere in between?

Sera

Just a project/novelty value really - something to do in the evenings other than sit on the computer!!!) Don't want mad gains but something useable (and that can keep up with my 'busa in a straight line - Triumph far quicker on the twisty stuff anyway ). Another 20 - 30 bhp I guess and more torque will never go amiss.

If you're selling let me know how much you want (and postage to west Kent) via u2u please.

Thanks

S

theduck

posted on 8/3/19 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I ran a tf035 on my pinto, stock wastegate is 5psi, spools really quick, was a nice setup. I also accidentally once ran it at 18psi, everything survived but it has cost me a fortune uprgrading everything so I can run that all the time
steve m

posted on 8/3/19 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
A cheap chinese turbo exploding vid is on yahoo, but I cant get the link to save for it

But I wouldn't want one to explode, in a car, let alone on a bike, and very near to your legs

[Edited on 8/3/19 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

gremlin1234

posted on 8/3/19 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
A cheap chinese turbo exploding vid is on yahoo, but I cant get the link to save for it

heres one on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sH4pLlSRo

hobbsy

posted on 8/3/19 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

heres one on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sH4pLlSRo

Ouch, yeah on a bike you could end up with a severed femoral artery!

Don't know why I decided to check this (as it's generally accepted as a fairly quick death unless you get some compression on it ASAP!) but in case anyone was wondering:

https://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/55220/exsanguination-time-from-damage-to-major-arteries

I am going to try and use the word exsanguination in place of "bleeding out" from now on!

Shooter63

posted on 9/3/19 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63

Shooter

Really? CT26 fitted to the Celica GT4 is barely capable of 250 (300 having its neck wrung) on the 2 litre 3sgte.

[Edited on 7/3/19 by coyoteboy]

Ask the Glanza boys they seem to do it

Shooter

Simon

posted on 9/3/19 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone, arrangements are being sort of made

Cheers

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.