Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch Cable
Kev1n

posted on 16/6/19 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch Cable

Hi everyone

My Velocity is eating clutch cables, like every 200 ish miles, I even have to carry a spare.
It uses QCC1260 Ford sierra with a kind of ball joint end that attaches to what looks like welded/modified bracket on my clutch pedal. the build manual refers to m6 hole using a 8.8 bolt washer and nyloc nut so the cable can pivot freely, so the cable in picture has a mounting eyelet ?

anyone got any part numbers ?

ford type 9 box 2.8 v6

thanks all

Kev

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/6/19 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Where is the cable breaking?
That will tell you where the problem is.Basically anywhere the cable is stressed it WILL break. (I have this issue, but I get 5K before it happens)

If it is breaking every 200miles something is VERY wrong and a new cable is not the answer. I don't like the sound of the welded pedal either.

Now, pictures help, IF you can work out how to post them... or maybe links to a pic hosting site?

rusty nuts

posted on 16/6/19 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Does the cable break at the pedal end ? Sounds like it’s not pivoting around the bolt or it’s pulling at an angle. On my car I made up a sleeve to get a decent straight pull on the cable
matt5964

posted on 16/6/19 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I had this on my XT and the break was at the pedal end at the join as the cable was not freely pivoting

I used a shoulder bolt and a nut each side of the attachment of the pedal with washers to ensure the cable was free but I still have a strong connection

Science I’ve done that not had one go in 2 years and 14 track days 🤠

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

Kev1n

posted on 17/6/19 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone

yes it is on the pedal itself, it breaks right at the nipple end,
you guys are right, the bend is to severe, I think it need something like a clutch quadrant.

Ive got it booked in with MK kitcars in Braintree im sure they will sort it out.

ill post some pics up but basically I have a "c" shape welded to side of the clutch pedal and the clutch cable hooks into.
bit like a bicycle brake cable, when you press the clutch there is no pivot point so it literally tries to turn the nipple 90 degrees, hence why they snap. im sure its a quick fix. but dam hard to photo !

Thank you all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.