Board logo

Weld-On Chassis VIN plates.
Slinky - 15/5/17 at 02:32 PM

Hi guys.
Just wondering if any of you had any trouble getting a chassis stamp done or IVA issues relating to this?
It might be of interest to know that the company (Bespoke Vehicle Developments) who supplied my body and chassis have a machine that stamps chassis numbers directly on to a steel plate for the builder to weld on. On their website, it states they are IVA approved as long as they are welded all the way around and not spot welded. Has anyone had any problems with a spot welded plate in the past? I know most chassis are built from 2mm box and that can be a bitch to stamp without distorting it. My chassis came with the number already welded on, so I wont have the problem of stamping my own. I looked up their costs on their website and sounds very reasonable to me for a professional look. Slinky.

nick205 - 15/5/17 at 03:15 PM

For my MK Indy I stamped the details on the box section OK then gave it a light coat of paint. Worked fine for SVA as it was back then.

myke pocock - 15/5/17 at 03:30 PM

For SVA I used a Dremmel with an engraving bit. Best to write it on with something that stands out first (paint pen?) and then do it. Clamp a bit of wood, angle metal or something else to the chassis member to rest your hand on when doing it though.

big-vee-twin - 15/5/17 at 06:23 PM

I used a Dremmel to engrave the chassis passed IVA no issues

[img] Chassis number
Chassis number
[/img]

Irony - 15/5/17 at 06:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I used a Dremmel to engrave the chassis passed IVA no issues

[img] Chassis number
Chassis number
[/img]

What this gentlemen said.

christim - 15/5/17 at 09:07 PM

+1 for Dremel with stencil kit

theduck - 15/5/17 at 09:11 PM

stamped steel plate welded all the way round is fine.

garyt - 16/5/17 at 05:51 PM

Stamped plated welded all the way round was fine for iva last year
Note to all do it before the engine is in and the sides are on .... guess who didn't

Slinky - 17/5/17 at 02:56 PM

This shows what BEV do.
http://www.595s.co.uk/weld-on-v-i-n-services