Board logo

CNC. Bearing housing...
Dave Bailey - 16/6/14 at 10:16 PM

Anyone access to a CNC machine that could run up a bearing housing for me for some beer tokens? I am just drawing it up in solid works.. Two piece combined size about 80x60x35 approx....I am making a housing to hold a bearing to replace my plastic sierra column bearing.... Bearing diameter is about 52mm diameter...

Looking to get it made in ally...

Thanks
Dave B

[Edited on 17/6/14 by Dave Bailey]

rdodger - 17/6/14 at 08:16 AM

Hi

I can't help with the CNC'ing but http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=16_17_4959_4961 may well have something suitable?

matt_gsxr - 17/6/14 at 09:05 AM

Bear tokens. How do they work?

DIY Si - 17/6/14 at 09:46 AM

Would one of these not be much cheaper and easier? It's what I fitted to my Indy as they're so easy to attach.

Jed - 17/6/14 at 09:46 AM

The TVR S series use the Sierra bearing so would it work in your application? I must admit I was a bit surprised at how many bear tokens they wanted for an alloy one:
http://www.mlperformanceparts.co.uk/product/bulkhead-bearing-kit/

If that is the sort of thing you want then the S Series forum on PH might be a good place to ask.

Trollyjack - 17/6/14 at 11:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Would one of these not be much cheaper and easier? It's what I fitted to my Indy as they're so easy to attach.

This is what I used, top Job

Tatey - 17/6/14 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Trollyjack
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si

This is what I used, top Job

I'm also using one of these on my haynes, really easy to fit and seems to work a treat.

coyoteboy - 17/6/14 at 12:59 PM

Yeah it's going to be a better solution than a custom machined (backyard) bearing housing also.

Dave Bailey - 17/6/14 at 09:14 PM

Yeah yeah I can't type spell or cook... The wife tells me every day!

Dave Bailey - 17/6/14 at 09:30 PM

Thanks for the P**s taking and of course the advice.... I have been playing with solid works and have modelled the housing... We have a 3D printer at work and I have printed the model in ABS and it works a treat... I just fancied having a go at getting the part made to finish off the job... Cost obviously is a huge consideration but learning and creating something is also important....

Thanks
Dave B

bi22le - 17/6/14 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
Thanks for the P**s taking and of course the advice.... I have been playing with solid works and have modelled the housing... We have a 3D printer at work and I have printed the model in ABS and it works a treat... I just fancied having a go at getting the part made to finish off the job... Cost obviously is a huge consideration but learning and creating something is also important....

Thanks
Dave B

Saving bag loads of time and money is better though!!

Sorry, peeps are taking the wee. I wanted to join in!!

Good luck with the Solidworks. I am still struggling!

Dave Bailey - 17/6/14 at 10:33 PM

I know we all do it... Solid works and the 3d printer has come in very handy... Made a few parts and have plenty of other parts planned...

Dave B

Nick_TitanMsport - 18/6/14 at 07:12 AM

Let me know if you still want this cant guarantee anything but we do have 30+CNC machines at work. And if you do need to buy something off the shelf I can always get trade for you if you need it.

Cheers

Dave Bailey - 18/6/14 at 03:19 PM

Thanks for the offer... appreciate the help... I have a local guy here who is going to give me a quote so that may help to make my mind up....

thanks
Dave B

coyoteboy - 18/6/14 at 06:14 PM

Another option for those wanting to do simple stuff is protolabs, but they don't offer tolerance input as standard, it's "as machined". Usually pretty good and fairly cheap but I recently got a quote of £800 for 3 bearing mounts so I skipped that choice!

Alan B - 26/6/14 at 09:58 AM

Does it have be CNC'd?...or could it be made on a conventional milling machine?

jyardley - 14/7/14 at 06:09 PM

Hi Dave B,

I might be able to help if you still need the housings doing?

James

Dave Bailey - 14/7/14 at 08:09 PM

James...thanks for the offer... I do have someone who said they can do it but so far they have not. Had the time.... I will let you know if it doesn't happen... Thanks for the offer...

Dave B

jyardley - 14/7/14 at 08:59 PM

No worries Dave, if you get stuck drop me a line.