Board logo

Sylva Striker Headlights
cfc999 - 24/11/19 at 09:18 PM

Just fitted a pair if 7inch headlights for my 1995 striker. My chassis has headlight mounting brackets welded on. The headlights look way to high up. Looked online at other pictures of strikers and their headlights look way lower than mine. Any ideas
Cheers

gremlin1234 - 24/11/19 at 09:40 PM

min height for dipped beam headlights is 500mm (max 1m)

cfc999 - 24/11/19 at 09:46 PM

Not going to be for the road so no need to pass a mot. Just trying to give it a finished road going look.

peter030371 - 25/11/19 at 08:22 AM

This is mine if that helps? These are smaller headlights though (Dominators).

Bigger plate
Bigger plate

I could take some measurements from the ground to the headlight mounting point if that helps?

[Edited on 25/11/19 by peter030371]

obfripper - 25/11/19 at 08:24 AM

I've got 5 3/4 inch headlamps, i think that was the original spec so 7 inch will look tall.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa9pzmujy95womv/20170417_180310.jpg?dl=0

Dave

[Edited on 25/11/19 by obfripper]

cfc999 - 25/11/19 at 04:35 PM

Cheers
My brackets are the same as the once in the last picture.
The lights do look a bit on the big side plus sit on top of a cone shaped mount which lifts them up even higher.
Plus can’t remove my bonnet with the lights fitted.

[Edited on 25/11/19 by cfc999]

peter030371 - 25/11/19 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cfc999

Plus can’t remove my bonnet with the lights fitted.

[Edited on 25/11/19 by cfc999]

My first Striker was like this,I cut the bonnet into a two peace part which helped from the original single peace part. If you are not fussed about the light output then go for Dominators (which is what I have on my second Striker pictured above), good enough for occasional use and a little less drag

Toys2 - 25/11/19 at 11:39 PM

How about this for low profile, they are Dominators with my own mounting bracket
They are 480mm off the ground, so a touch low for IVA
I've used it on country lanes at night and find them OK, if not up to modern saloon car standards

Description
Description

Description
Description

cfc999 - 26/11/19 at 06:23 AM

Looks like a lot of people have either cut their original brackets off or their chassis didn’t come with the brackets in the first place

JimSpencer - 26/11/19 at 12:28 PM

Hi

I've got Dominators on mine, same as Peter's above, work just fine and back when I used to MoT it, used to go trough the test with them too.

When we first built it, had some huge things (probably circa the same as the 7 inch ones) and they actually got, visually, in the way..

peter030371 - 26/11/19 at 12:51 PM

I've been looking at putting LED bulbs in my Dominators. Not for more light output (but that could be a 'free' bonus) but to reduce the power load

All the other lights in my car are LED other than dip, main and side lights.

Some of these look very good https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/12v-h4 but not yet worked out what would fit the small Dominator shell. I am aware that strictly speaking they should fail an MOT but that is more because the MOT rules are not keeping up with technology rather than actually being dangerous for other road users

MikeRJ - 26/11/19 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
I've been looking at putting LED bulbs in my Dominators. Not for more light output (but that could be a 'free' bonus) but to reduce the power load

Some of these look very good https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/12v-h4 but not yet worked out what would fit the small Dominator shell. I am aware that strictly speaking they should fail an MOT but that is more because the MOT rules are not keeping up with technology rather than actually being dangerous for other road users

LED bulbs should pass an MOT provided they give a suitable beam pattern. They are not technically legal because the bulbs are not E-marked, but bulbs don't get checked at MOT.

40inches - 26/11/19 at 03:28 PM

quote:

Thanks for the link Peter. Just what I have been looking for
The Dominator is a Motorcycle headlight, so it makes sense to use a motorcycle LED bulb? LINK
Just noticed that they do a pair for £46 New Link

[Edited on 26-11-19 by 40inches]

peter030371 - 26/11/19 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

But do they fit in the Dominator bowl? Its low down on my list of things to check/do as I have more pressing things to sort out to be honest its just that changing a bulb is going to be a lot quicker and easier than trying to make an under-tray I also want to check if I can fit a better sidelight bulb at the same time, do you know what type is fitted in the Dominator? I keep meaning to pop one out and look but keep forgetting as its not on my 'job list'

40inches - 26/11/19 at 04:04 PM

quote:
quote:

But do they fit in the Dominator bowl? Its low down on my list of things to check/do as I have more pressing things to sort out to be honest its just that changing a bulb is going to be a lot quicker and easier than trying to make an under-tray I also want to check if I can fit a better sidelight bulb at the same time, do you know what type is fitted in the Dominator? I keep meaning to pop one out and look but keep forgetting as its not on my 'job list'

Not measured it, but the fitting is the same as the dimensions given on the website: 37mm The bulb part is standard H4.
I am going to order a pair.
The sidelight is something I intend to check.
Got to be one of these

peter030371 - 26/11/19 at 04:13 PM

quote:
I am going to order a pair.
The sidelight is something I intend to check.
Got to be one of these

Be very interested in how you get on

alfas - 25/12/19 at 10:57 AM

those LEd or Xenon headlights are illegal for retrofitting...they arent e-marked, neither does your car has a self-leveling-system nor headlight washing system. (both are mandatory for fitting such lights)

for you it might be an "upgrade" but you are not respecting that other motorists are possibly getting blinded. just a tought.

peter030371 - 25/12/19 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alfas
those LEd or Xenon headlights are illegal for retrofitting...they arent e-marked, neither does your car has a self-leveling-system nor headlight washing system. (both are mandatory for fitting such lights)

for you it might be an "upgrade" but you are not respecting that other motorists are possibly getting blinded. just a tought.

You are correct LED bulbs are not e-marked, the rules simply do not cover them as they didn't exist! I am sure the EU will sort this in due course but no good for us now we have to invent our own rules

The cleaning and self levelling is to do with light output power not light source type.

Correctly designed Led bulbs (not cheppo stuff off eBay) fitted correctly will no more dazzle uncoming traffic than regular bulbs.

I don't encourage rule breaking but reading the facts yourself and coming to a sensible conclusion is no bad thing IMHO

alfas - 26/12/19 at 11:37 AM

its clearly stated within the actual EU rules that the Bulb (when speaking of LED or xenon) is a part of the "headlight"....so all togehter "headlight & bulb" have been approved and e-marked.

means you cannot fit a LED-bulb with H4-socket to a "normal" H4 headlight...as this combination was never approved, hence its illegal.

oustide UK, ALL countries and all MOT stations, would fail such a car..even the police might give you a ticket when they recognize the conversion.

in worst case the vehicle operating approval status is rendered null and void.