Board logo

Leaky diff...
pekwah1 - 28/4/19 at 05:31 PM

Hi guys,

At a track day recently my car decided it preferred the diff oil outside of the diff!
Just after a bit of advice of where you think it’s coming from? My guess at the moment is seal between the axle and the diff, but just looking for opinions before I start ripping it apart.....

Thanks In advance.
Andy

pmc_3 - 28/4/19 at 08:11 PM

If it's anything like mine was there will be a pinprick hole or two that you won't be able to see until you strip the paint off.

pekwah1 - 28/4/19 at 08:15 PM

In the actual casing or on the seal?

pmc_3 - 28/4/19 at 08:40 PM

In the casing, i’ll see if I took a photo.

jossey - 29/4/19 at 10:01 AM

I had a similar issue with mine I cleaned it all up after a run and put some masking tape under the seal to see if it was coming from the seal and it was. I got a little pool on the masking tape so I was happy. 5 quid fix. Although I did change the nuts on the prop too.

Mr Whippy - 29/4/19 at 11:41 AM

I feel like Antman

Angel Acevedo - 29/4/19 at 03:13 PM

My differential has a vent.
Have you checked if yours has one?
If it does, check if not blocked.
high pressure may drive oil beyond the seal which will occurr if vent blocked.

Mr Whippy - 29/4/19 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
My differential has a vent.
Have you checked if yours has one?
If it does, check if not blocked.
high pressure may drive oil beyond the seal which will occurr if vent blocked.

What he said

steve m - 29/4/19 at 10:09 PM

M8, my diff leaked for years, ive sorted it now, banana skins and molyslip, its never leaked since, about 2001

pekwah1 - 30/4/19 at 06:55 AM

Thanks all, I’ll have a hunt for a vent, don’t remember seeing one though, otherwise I guess I’ll be pulling her apart!

JimSpencer - 30/4/19 at 12:39 PM

Hi

My striker used to do exactly that.

Breather is on the top, RHS IIRC.

Fixed it by adding an 'Axle oil breather' off a Land Rover, couple of quid - sorted.

HTH

pekwah1 - 5/5/19 at 04:02 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help so far, I seem to be missing the vent and just have a hole instead, have had a look round but struggling to find a replacement, any ideas?

rusty nuts - 5/5/19 at 04:43 PM

How big is the hole? Is it threaded?

steve m - 5/5/19 at 05:22 PM

Andy, your axle is the same as mine, and ive got a plastic top hat type of thing on the right hand side of the axle, looking forward, about 2-4" in from the diff casing (from memory !!)

It may be that that "hole" is leaking, but you may need to make an extension to raise the hole, (if that makes sense!)

steve

pigeondave - 6/5/19 at 09:40 AM

It'll have a little hole (or look like a tea bag from the inside) where the brackets are welded on.

My one was quite bad around the bottom clip which holds the brake line.

Worth a try.
As someone else said, strip the paint and you'll see all