Board logo

worcester boiler help
cliftyhanger - 1/1/13 at 11:31 AM

Tenants called last night. The boiler "popped" and is leaking again. Last time, the engineer came out, tightened a joint inside somewhere, and that was that. Just a callout charge and 1/2work. 2 months later, seems the issue is back. So rather than cough up the gasmans fee, I hope to have a looky and see if I can sort the leak.
However, I have not yet been inside the boiler, it is only 4 years old, prior to these incidents no issues except annual checks.
So the numpty question, last time I looked over the boiler I couldn't find my way in, or more specifically how to get the case off. I didn't spend long, just sussed it was an internal leak. But before I fire up the grinder can anybody point me in the right direction for the retaining fixings etc.....

edited to add it is a 24i junior from memory. And the installer never left the installation booklet, only the user stuff

[Edited on 1/1/13 by cliftyhanger]

John P - 1/1/13 at 11:40 AM

Looks like there's a manual at

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/literature/discontinued-product-literature/discontinued-gas-boiler-literature/24i-junior-rsf-discontinued-a ug-2007-literature

mads - 1/1/13 at 11:40 AM

cant help but there are installation manuals here to download: http://www.centralheating.co.uk/Boiler-Manuals/worcester-bosch-boiler-manuals

John P - 1/1/13 at 11:42 AM

Sorry, that wasn't quite correct.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/literature/discontinued-product-literature/discontinued-gas-boiler-literature/24i-junior-rsf-discontinued-a ug-2007-literature

John P - 1/1/13 at 11:44 AM

Can't seem to get the web address to input correctly. There shouldn't be the gap between the a and ug in aug.

cliftyhanger - 1/1/13 at 11:45 AM

Brilliant, that should sort me out.
Seems there are some screws at the top. All nice and accessible then. Not (given this particular installation)

Many thanks
Clive
(who is off the see a boiler)

Nick DV - 1/1/13 at 11:45 AM

Depends what you mean by 'popped' and 'leaking'!! Do you mean it's over pressurising and the safety has popped, and where is the leak? IIRC the front cover just lifts up, then forward and away. Everything on these is fairly accessable.

Not telling you what to do but just remember all the Gas Safe laws and landlords responsibilities etc, etc.

Cheers, Nick

Wadders - 1/1/13 at 11:46 AM

Greenstars are prone to leaking on the left hand plastic hydroblock, it's a common fault, usually just a pinhole, but it tends to spray all over the boiler inside and drip from the bottom.
Easy enough job to replace, although it looks a bit daunting at first, the part is only about £15 and comes with all the necessary seals and washers etc.

Another common fault is the filter behind the flow sensor turbine, these are also plastic and break up, situated above the diverter on the right hand side of the boiler, it might appear that the diverter is leaking but more likely to be dripping from above.
Dead easy to fix and the part is less than a fiver.

You can download the service manual from Worcesters website.

Al.

Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Tenants called last night. The boiler "popped" and is leaking again. Last time, the engineer came out, tightened a joint inside somewhere, and that was that. Just a callout charge and 1/2work. 2 months later, seems the issue is back. So rather than cough up the gasmans fee, I hope to have a looky and see if I can sort the leak.
However, I have not yet been inside the boiler, it is only 4 years old, prior to these incidents no issues except annual checks.
So the numpty question, last time I looked over the boiler I couldn't find my way in, or more specifically how to get the case off. I didn't spend long, just sussed it was an internal leak. But before I fire up the grinder can anybody point me in the right direction for the retaining fixings etc.....

edited to add it is a 24i junior from memory. And the installer never left the installation booklet, only the user stuff

[Edited on 1/1/13 by cliftyhanger]

cliftyhanger - 1/1/13 at 01:19 PM

Looks like the boiler visit will have to wait. The hairy-arsed students are all still asleep (or still out partying)
I am well aware of what I should and shouldn't do, but if it is a water side leak on the boiler I am happy to have a peek. I have helped fit a handful over the years.....
As to the popped, I gather that is the noise it made when it sprung its leak. I never go on tenants descriptions or diagnosis though. Or call out tradesmen until I have had a go at fixing things.

chillis - 1/1/13 at 01:48 PM

Happened to mine last october, suddenly started dripping then a few hours later the contents of the heating system on the floor
Heat exchanger had split, not uncommon apparently. It wrecked the circuit board which is cunningly placed underneath
Cheaper to replace the boiler than to fix and mine was only 6 years old.
not impressed with worcester

coozer - 1/1/13 at 01:50 PM

Call HELPLINK....

JoelP - 1/1/13 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Call HELPLINK....

ha ha

On a more serious note, i actually do water plumbing for work, and i wouldnt dream of working on a tenants boiler. You arent allowed to work on any gas appliance by law, never mind if its not the actual gas pipes you are fiddling with, and if anything went wrong (even unrelated) then the tenants would stick you in without a second thought.