Board logo

C20XE lightweight flywheel lasted 1200 miles
Paul TVR - 28/10/19 at 08:08 PM

My redtop lightweight flywheel has lost its teeth in a large section, the flywheel is a lightweight one and was new when I bought it although 3 years old now. Starter motor was also new, was bolted onto the block properly, any one had similar issues and found the cause? I've ordered a new starter, but not sure if I should go lightweight flywheel again or get a standard used one.

big_wasa - 28/10/19 at 08:17 PM

Who made the flywheel ?

Paul TVR - 28/10/19 at 08:39 PM

Annoyingly I can't find the receipt or remember where I bought it from.

Mr Whippy - 28/10/19 at 08:41 PM

I'd check it is meshing correctly and not just the tops of the teeth before doing anything further. Do you know if the teeth have been hardened? I'd also check if the toothed ring can be replaced as per a normal flywheel.

Paul TVR - 28/10/19 at 08:54 PM

It's a billet wheel so guessing the ring can't be replaced unless it was turned down.

MikeRJ - 29/10/19 at 11:09 AM

I've seen the same problem on billet flywheels with starter teeth machined into them, the teeth just aren't hard enough to last.

See if it's possible the have the flywheel machined to take a standard ring gear.

Mr Whippy - 29/10/19 at 12:34 PM

tbh I'd say it wasn't fit for purpose unless they were hardened...

As above may work out cheaper to just get it machined to accept a standard (hardened) replacement ring gear

nick205 - 29/10/19 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
tbh I'd say it wasn't fit for purpose unless they were hardened...

As above may work out cheaper to just get it machined to accept a standard (hardened) replacement ring gear

That'd be my approach, have it machined to accept a standard, hardened ring gear.

Make certain the starter teeth aren't damaged and make certain that the starter teeth mesh correctly with the ring gear teeth as well.

SPYDER - 29/10/19 at 07:57 PM

I have a Fidanza Aluminium flywheel on my 3SGE engined car. It has a steel ring gear. Despite being the correct fitment for the 3S engine the ring gear is a couple of mm's offset compared to the OEM flywheel. Doesn't sound much but I thought it best to "adjust" the starter motor fitment to suit.

An issue which can arise when using a FWD motor in RWD application regards the "lead-in" chamfer on the ring gear. On the 3S motor the RWD starter engages 180 degrees opposite to the FWD one so the starter pinion has no chamfer to help it engage. I chamfered mine by hand to suit.

OP...Does your (RWD) CX20E starter approach from the same direction as the FWD one?

Paul TVR - 29/10/19 at 11:10 PM

The starter bolts into the block, so no difference for either red or fwd, I've bought another starter so I can compare the 2, also ordered a secondhand flywheel from eBay to try out.

[Edited on 29/10/19 by Paul TVR]