Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Scotland driving holiday route - any thoughts?
eznfrank

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
My Scotland driving holiday route - any thoughts?

Me and the missus are going driving around the Higlands and Islands starting 17 April and I thought I would run the provisional route via you knowledgeable chaps for any thoughts.

We're in a bay window campervan so not so worried about "fast" roads, more scenic and oeaceful is what we're looking for.

I've checked all the fery crossings etc and it's all do-able, only slight issue is with somewhere to stay in the islands (in the van). I know we could just stick it at the side of the road but the missus is a bit scared and also doesn't fancy squatting at the side of the road!

Day 1 - Pick up campervan in Perth and drive to Fort William.

Day 2 - Drive up side of Loch Ness to Inverness.

Day 3 - Drive to Ullapool.

Day 4 - Morning ferry across to Stornoway (Lewis) and drive down to Tarbert (North Harris)

Day 5 - Ferry across to Uig (Skye) and drive down to Ardvasar.

Day 6 - Ferry across to Mallaig drive to Kilchoan, ferry across to Tobermory, drive to Craignuir.

Day 7 - Ferry to Oban, drive to Inverary (down via Loch Fyne).

Day 8 - Back to Perth.

Any thoughts?

blakep82

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
i was going to say oban-inverary.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
It would work a lot better going
Perth to Inveness via A9
then Inverness to Fort William.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at cal mac ferries website! ferries are expensive! especially if you pay as you get on. they do 'island hopper' i think if you look on the websire. not sure how much it saves though, but definitely worth a look

http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables.html

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

eznfrank

posted on 3/4/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, we've already got all the timetables and prices. It works out just slightly cheaper to just buy them seperately for our journeys.

We realised it'll be expensive, just one of those unaviodable facts really. When we were looking at the trip and costs we actually found a week all inclusive in Kenya in a nice 4 star place for roughly the same money but this is just one of those things we've always fancied doing.

Arnie

posted on 3/4/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going onto Mull (Tobermoray) try and get round to the island of Iona. Just a short ferry ride and you do not need to take the car. Worth the effort. If you can rather than going through Inverary go back towards Fort William from Oban and then back through Glen Coe. Have a good time.

Regards,

Arnie.

alistairolsen

posted on 3/4/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
somehow include the road from oban to tarbet over crianlarich, much better than the inverary road and less cops
mad4x4

posted on 4/4/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
And on this road trip - when do you plan to stop and see the tourist attractions ? Each location has enough to spend a week at.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

blakep82

posted on 4/4/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
and the rest and be thankful, gotta drive by there.

Schrodinger

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you are staying in Inverness there is a camp site near the sports centre in Bught Drive http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=inverness&countryCode=GB#map=57.46451,-4.23631|16|4&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:57.47677:-4.23185:14|inv erness|Inverness,%20Highland,%20Inverness-shire,%20Scotland,%20IV3%205

Keith
Aviemore

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.