Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: URGENT - How much do you appreciate this site?????
NigeEss

posted on 3/2/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Surely it's not just a case of how much is the hosting cost, there's a huge amount of Chris' time and effort
involved. And time=money.

For the what I get out of this site I am more than happy to contribute, it's a tremendously useful place.
Also I've bought a few things recently of fellow members making my donation even more worth it.
Chris seem adamant that there will never be an obligatory contribution and I admire him for that.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

ChrisW

posted on 3/2/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
For the what I get out of this site I am more than happy to contribute, it's a tremendously useful place.
Also I've bought a few things recently of fellow members making my donation even more worth it.
Chris seem adamant that there will never be an obligatory contribution and I admire him for that.

This is exactly what I am striving to achieve.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 3/2/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I look at this site every day, donation sent, thanks again to all responsible for this site.
yellowcab

posted on 3/2/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I also use this site everyday, and when it was down, it cost me nearly £200 on eBay because I didn't have anywhere else to go LOL

I have met some fabulous people, learnt alot of things, sold stuff and bought stuff...

So please accept my new donation being made as we speak!

Olz

Pdlewis

posted on 3/2/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
just wondered if youd considered moving to amazon ec2 chris?
this would surly reduce the cost as no hardware, we are currebtly using it extensivly in a corporate world with very high usage and data sortage and the costs are very low plus you can increase or decrease resauces as a you go, i can fully recomomend

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

ChrisW

posted on 3/2/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pdlewis
Hi,
just wondered if youd considered moving to amazon ec2 chris?
this would surly reduce the cost as no hardware, we are currebtly using it extensivly in a corporate world with very high usage and data sortage and the costs are very low plus you can increase or decrease resauces as a you go, i can fully recomomend

I have looked into it in the past but found it to be a more expensive option, mainly because you have to use their pre-configured environment. This means I can't take advantage of as many of the optimisations that I run on this server, therefore resource use is higher, and therefore cost goes up.

Also, take a look at what 50GB of disk space takes on EC2. It's not cheap!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 3/2/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Can you put a countdown on the hoe age from £200 a month in donations so people n see what is wing donated. I run a lot of other sites which have this to ensure that it keeps running cost covered.

Like this http://www.donationstracker.com/

I really appreciate the work you do on here.

Thanks

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Rant away I'm just fascinated at seeing your increased costs for what is essentially a small target site for car enthusiasts (which is effectively what we were running) - they must scale massively non-linearly.

Indeed we're certainly lower bandwidth and drive space than LCB, though we were pushing 100GB transfer a month and 25GB drive space (subsequently dropped right off to around 10G). If you'd have said £80 a month I'd have been shocked but not entirely suprised, but more than double that seems like extortion unless you're running Amazon!

mark chandler

posted on 3/2/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I work for a company that sells hosting space, if we sold 30 hours of a trained Microsoft engineers time to design, develop, upload and run a server this would run into many thousands.

Add then our charge for 2U's of rack space, Internet access via a firewall.......

£10 donated, which is an absolute bargain.

Cheers Chris

Regards Mark

[Edited on 3/2/13 by mark chandler]

adithorp

posted on 3/2/13 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
...(which is effectively what we were running)...

I don't think "WE" should take any credit for "running" this site. All that credit goes to Chris (and Fozzie). Sure, we all add content but little would change if any individual left; You can't say the same about Chris.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 3/2/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
No question about the value of this site as far as I am concerned!

Donation on the way!

I too was lost the other day without locostbuilders as there is no better place to hang out with a good tempered intelligent bunch of people from across the world.

Most are like minded, except for the BECers of course. They just don't understand...

coyoteboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I don't think "WE" should take any credit for "running" this site. All that credit goes to Chris (and Fozzie). Sure, we all add content but little would change if any individual left; You can't say the same about Chris.

I think you mis-read my comment, I was discussing a similar site that "I" run and deal with the hosting for, for free, in my spare time etc etc

At no point was I criticising, FWIW, I was just shocked at the running costs as it's a long way from the costs of our site in previous times of high demand.

And really you can't factor in anyone's time if they're claiming to do it for the love of it (I don't factor in my time and effort for running the site I do because I volunteered, it would be churlish to do so after volunteering - I don't think Chris is either, he's just pointing out fixed purchase costs which is perfectly fair enough).

Hope that clears it up a bit!

[Edited on 3/2/13 by coyoteboy]

Slimy38

posted on 3/2/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Second, yes the donate button goes to me, once Paypal have taken their cut of course!

And on that note, consider me donated!

v8kid

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
£10 top up donation willingly made - bargain.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

adithorp

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I think you mis-read my comment, I was discussing a similar site that "I" run and deal with the hosting for, for free, in my spare time etc etc

Sorry, misread it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

T66

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

I said it elsewhere last night, thank you...

There is a hardcore of regular users here, who will be more than willing to financially support the security of LCB, if push came to shove.

Being a complete idiot in the garage often ends up with me asking stupid questions, most of which get an answer here.

If you offered the option to donate automatically each month via paypal, I would be happy to sign up for this. The site encompasses the total kit car/home build market, there are no other sites doing this, that I would rely on.

The diversity of LCB is well known and well respected, there are some amazing engineering brains on here, and some great characters, WE all need this to keep going.....

Particularly Scootz, who would be forced to sell on the open market.....

Ivan

locost@mintynet.com

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Donation completed.

Still a great site, I really must get out in my Tiger Supercat more

Ian

scootz

posted on 3/2/13 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66

Ivan

Come on LCB'ers... dig deep! I'll be getting divorced if continue to make losses hand-over-fist AND pay eBay fees!

It's Evolution Baby!

Dualist

posted on 3/2/13 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I love the site and am on here everyday but can you please find an alternative to paypal and I would happily contribute, bank transfer perhaps.?

Rotary build coming soon...

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I recently discovered that pigs can p i s s sideways when being transported

T66

posted on 3/2/13 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by T66

Ivan

Come on LCB'ers... dig deep! I'll be getting divorced if continue to make losses hand-over-fist AND pay eBay fees!

Its good to see you have identified the key to your "parts pusher" status, a unique role on LCB of which you reign with absolute supremacy.

Long live the King.....

scootz

posted on 3/2/13 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote

And I've seen something shiny that I REALLY want, but don't have the readies to fund the purchase... so may look to move on some more bits n bobs soon (and maybe even the BMW bobber-bike project!).

It's Evolution Baby!

Irony

posted on 4/2/13 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think I would have tried to build a car if it wasn't for lcb. I don't think I could have done it at all without the friendly and helpful advice from members. Great bunch of people, great website. I would happily pay 10 quid a month to keep this site running. Donation sent.
Dick Axtell

posted on 4/2/13 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:
Jesus, why is the hosting costing that much? I run a site similarly sized and populated (at one time) to this and it costs us £85 a year for unlimited bandwidth, storage space, email forwarding and database use!?

quote:
...and here lies the problem with the web hosting market today. Unlimited simply isn't possible. Everything costs money, the company are just taking a risk that you just put your personal website on it and not a site like this that chews through those resources. If you do, they'll simply void the contract under the acceptable use policy. I've been in the industry for 10 years so trust me on this one!

I had similar thoughts to coyoteboy, so your reply has clarified many of those points which were raised; thanks.

quote:
If you've got a low volume site and are happy to sit on a server with 1000 other sites all competing for the resources, disk space, bandwidth, etc, then yes you can achieve a price point like that.

Which is describes my site's present hosting, courtesy of www.hostpapa.co.uk. Clearly, the scale of the LCB operation is some orders of magnitude greater, as indicated by Chris' comment below..........

quote:
We need this because we have something like 50GB of images, 1.5m unique posts, and generate around 100k page views per day.

You mentioned backup!!! I'll have to check on this with my ISP - thanks for the reminder!!

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Not Anumber

posted on 4/2/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
This site provides a great service to the car building community. Top up donation paid. When you think what some people pay each month for magazines and / or club membership and how much more value this forum provides I think it's only right for people to expect to make a donation.
RichardK

posted on 4/2/13 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Bargain, cheers Chris

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.