Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locking wheel nuts
LBMEFM

posted on 10/3/14 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Locking wheel nuts

My lad has just bought a Fiat Seicento for a charity run he is doing later this year, however, he has got a puncture. The locking wheel nut adapter is so worn that it just jumps of the wheel bolt. He has tried hammering an old socket on to it and trying to start it with a chisel to no avail. What next, my "easy out" tools are not up to the job. Maybe I can keep drilling the bolt, increasing the drill each time until the head comes off. Any ideas please?. The problem is that as usual the bolts are recessed into the alloy wheel.
adithorp

posted on 10/3/14 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Different techniques work on differen designs. Could you put a picture up?

Most common is an old socket. It has to be a 12point and not a 6sided one. It also has to be only just too small to go over and needs a BIG hammer. If that doesn't work there are removal tools that are basically a female easyout. On some lock bolts neither of these methods will work though... After that it gets brutal or technical.

I doubt drilling and using a normal (male) easyout will work due to the torque required to undo a wheel bolt and you'd be there all week trying to drill the head off.

[Edited on 10/3/14 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

theconrodkid

posted on 10/3/14 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
i had this problem on a saab,after many months with a pretty good tool kit,i gave up and cut the alloy wheel to bits with an angle grinder .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 10/3/14 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Spent yesterday pondering this myself after I went to undo the wheel bolts on my 205...then realised I couldn't find the locking wheel nut tool

Mine are the type with 3 small holes in the face. The outer of the bolt head is simply a sleeve that rotates freely, which prevents the old socket + hammer approach.

I'm contemplating trying to weld an M12 nut on the end and use that to loosen it, but it's a bit deep in the wheel.

adithorp

posted on 10/3/14 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Spent yesterday pondering this myself after I went to undo the wheel bolts on my 205...then realised I couldn't find the locking wheel nut tool

Mine are the type with 3 small holes in the face. The outer of the bolt head is simply a sleeve that rotates freely, which prevents the old socket + hammer approach.

I'm contemplating trying to weld an M12 nut on the end and use that to loosen it, but it's a bit deep in the wheel.

One of the bad ones. Drill down between the centre and ring (carefull not to break drill) then split the ring with a chissle (neede to be thin). The ring should then come off and remove bolt with either socket driven on or removal tool.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick205

posted on 10/3/14 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

One of the bad ones. Drill down between the centre and ring (carefull not to break drill) then split the ring with a chissle (neede to be thin). The ring should then come off and remove bolt with either socket driven on or removal tool.

Looked at that also. Might well be able to drill down, but it's so deep in the wheel I'd most likely damage the wheel trying to chisel it out.

I'm thinking by welding an M12 nut on from the inside i'll minimise the risk to the wheel itself. The bolts themselves run freely once loosened so it's just that initial crack to undo it.

keithjardine

posted on 10/3/14 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Watch this little video, skip to 1m 20sec for the action

http://www.dynomec.co.uk/video.html

I went to this guys office a few years ago and he removed mine for beer tokens in less than 5 minutes with no damage.

He also sells the kit but it may trigger a DIY removal method if you watch the video

Arnie

posted on 10/3/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Locking Wheel Nuts

Had a similar problem on a Volvo S60. Took it to the local welders and they welded a nut on and were able then to remove locking bolt. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Arnie.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.