Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel Midget
inkafone

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel Midget

Not sure if this could be regarded as a bargain but there's been some good work done on this Midget
Check out the pictures on the photobucket link at the bottom of the description.

[Edited on 22/11/15 by inkafone]

Daf

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
That's brilliant! I have a soft spot for the midget. If only I had the cash, time and space!

Have you ever seen the v8 4WD midget? That's impressive.

StevieB

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
It's a good looking car with clearly a lot of work it it. But a diesel? I can't get on board with that one.

I've always thought a Zetec SE would be a good choice as an A-Series replacement.

britishtrident

posted on 22/11/15 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Restored rotf more like Vandalism .............................................

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Neville Jones

posted on 22/11/15 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Restored rotf more like Vandalism .............................................

A travesty. No less offensive than people hot rodding classics. These cars need preserving, not bastardising.

Cheers,
Nev.

ludsonline

posted on 23/11/15 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
Different, a lot of work has gone into that.

4x4 Midget

Benzine

posted on 23/11/15 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I-Spy diesel engine swap drinking game:

- Stinky (quick swig)
- Clattery (quick swig)
- Blasphemy (finish your drink)
- Travesty/Vandalism (down a pint)
- 'Just why?' (quick swig, +2 fingers if it's all in caps with exclamation marks)
- 'Needs preserving' (down half your drink for leaving that job to others/museums, finish the other half if they aren't a rare car)
- commenting on performance having never been in a lightweight diesel (neck a yard)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jed

posted on 23/11/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... if diesel isn't bad enough the chassis is from a 1500 so 1974-1980 but it is on a G plate.
rusty nuts

posted on 23/11/15 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Engine changes in a Midget are nothing new, I remember the MG Atlantic that was a conversion on a new Midget using a Ford X flow in the early 70s
britishtrident

posted on 23/11/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Engine changes in a Midget are nothing new, I remember the MG Atlantic that was a conversion on a new Midget using a Ford X flow in the early 70s

K series MG conversions are more or less accepted within MG circles as are putting a 1275 A Series in placeof the weaker 1500 Triumph unit the same as putting Rover V8s in Stags or Ford V4s in NSU Ro80 but in this case there is no gain only pain the engine chosen is not exactly an improvement in any respect.

[/I]

Daf

posted on 23/11/15 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I like it! Am I the only one?!

I've never really understood the whole keeping things original though, fair enough if it's something like a spitfire or a very unique car - but I just don't get it with a fairly run of the mill old car. That's not to say I dont appreciate the work and effort people put in.

r1_pete

posted on 23/11/15 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
That engine and trans would have made more sense in a Morris Minor, a revvy K series would have been my choice, but then I did put a Zetec in an MGB, and am presently EFIing an E Type which too has its share of modifications for modern drivability.

Each to his own....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 23/11/15 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
I like it! Am I the only one?!

I've never really understood the whole keeping things original though, fair enough if it's something like a spitfire or a very unique car - but I just don't get it with a fairly run of the mill old car. That's not to say I dont appreciate the work and effort people put in.

I'm all for changing stuff - I was planning on putting an R1 engine in my own midget (and a coilover conversion), but the diesel/sportscar combination escapes me a little.

I can think of a multitude of engines that would be better (in my own opinion, of course!).

Each yo their own though, and it looks like a good build generally.

mark chandler

posted on 24/11/15 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
When you can buy all the parts to make a car off the shelf it stops being rare and special !

Would not be my choice of engine, that said if you want high MPG returns and do not want to sit in a modern euro box why not?

britishtrident

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
When you can buy all the parts to make a car off the shelf it stops being rare and special !

Would not be my choice of engine, that said if you want high MPG returns and do not want to sit in a modern euro box why not?

The running cost won:t be much lower than an A series and it will stink of diesel.
You can still easily buy engine parts for pre-ww2 MG T type Midgets, and A series parts are likely to follow suit, but can you imagine trying to get engine parts for this even 5 years from.now?

[/I]

Sam_68

posted on 24/11/15 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

K series MG conversions are more or less accepted within MG circles as are putting a 1275 A Series in place of the weaker 1500 Triumph unit the same as putting Rover V8s in Stags or Ford V4s in NSU Ro80 but in this case there is no gain only pain the engine chosen is not exactly an improvement in any respect.

I'm kinda neutral on this one, but it does make for an interesting discussion.

I was in the workshop of a company that is involved with the development of the Frontline LE50 not long ago, who tell me that they (Frontline) are selling as many as they can build (and the 'starting from' price of £66K is just that... prices beginning with a 9 are not unheard of, apparently - for an MGB?! ). Is that, or an Eagle E-type, 'ethically' any better or worse than a diesel Midget?

As a classic Lotus enthusiast, I'm similarly split over the Spyder Zetec conversions to Elans and Plus 2's... sure, they're better than the original in every measurable way, but they lose so much of the original character of the car that you've got to wonder what the point is (other than having a car that doesn't need constant attention to stop it developing random sulks, but where's the fun in that? ).

Try as I might, I can't get myself worked up into a self-righteous fervour over it, though- it's only a car, and if that's what the owner wants to do to it, then it's his car, and his money. And a diesel is just as valid a choice as a modern, 16V DOHC fuel injected petrol engine + 5-speed all synchro box that is just as different in character from the long-stroke, carburettored 8-valve pushrod with 4-speed-and-no-synchro-on-1st original?

It'd have a character all of its own, you've got to give it that?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.