Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted fast bike engine for single seater
madteg

posted on 14/8/18 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted fast bike engine for single seater

On the look out for 1000cc bike engine for single seater car project. Engine will be facing forwards in car with a chain diff.
Not done a lot with bike engines so a bit in the dark, (Will i need to dry sump or not) Suppose it depends on what engine i use.
Help will be appreciated Thanks Kev

ReMan

posted on 14/8/18 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Depends which engine.
Bear in mind, even in conventional orientation, as you are describing, the car will not lean, so you may still need to dry sump/
Whats your budget.
893 Fireblade was a fast bike in its day, but a bit long in the tooth now (even if i do say so myself)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Paul_Arion

posted on 14/8/18 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR1000 is the obvious choice for a single seater with this orientation - widely used for sprints / hill climbs in the 1100cc class
scootz

posted on 14/8/18 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a bare low-mileage 2013 CBR1000RR engine up for grabs.

Open to offers.

It's Evolution Baby!

russbost

posted on 15/8/18 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Depends what power you want, bang for your buck ZZR1100; doesn't need dry sump in that orientation unless for serious track work - even then accusump should be enough, the early blade is pale by comparison as is ZZR900

If you want more grunt avoid the 'busa as it is notorious for needing drysump, go for ZX10, ZX12R or the late CBR engine (around 2010 on IIRC?) such as Scootz has, tho' if that's a bare engine you need to know where the rest of the bits are coming from, I'm sure I'll surprise no one by saying that the ultimate engine in my view is the ZZR1400, I've never even accusumped one of mine, but I've never seriously tracked it - due to orientation of the sump it favours RH corners (so you can lap roundabouts as much as you want in the UK!) & most circuits are RH.

Avoid ZZR1400 after 2015, much harder to work with the electrics, the pre' 2012 engines are much simpler to work with & they are pretty much unburstable, I have a 2006 in the current car & haven't managed to damage one yet!

I don't know anything about the Suzuki engines other than as said they are popular for competition, for some reason don't seem to be popular on the road

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
minitici

posted on 15/8/18 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
......Engine will be facing forwards in car with a chain diff.

Do you mean that the axle line will be in front of the engine?

If so - remember if you rotate the bike engine 180 degrees you would end up with 6 reverse gears (with a chain drive).

JimSpencer

posted on 15/8/18 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
On the look out for 1000cc bike engine for single seater car project. Engine will be facing forwards in car with a chain diff.
Not done a lot with bike engines so a bit in the dark, (Will i need to dry sump or not) Suppose it depends on what engine i use.
Help will be appreciated Thanks Kev

Hi
You've answered most of your own question.. but that depends on what, specifically you're planning to do with the car when you've finished it - circuit racing, hills, sprints?

Give us a bit more info on the plan for the use?

jonny007

posted on 15/8/18 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
You have U2U thanks
zx10rick85

posted on 19/9/18 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2004 zx10r engine complete package for sale

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.