Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: And another thing - Ford crossflow breather elbow for the inlet manifold
David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/20 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
And another thing - Ford crossflow breather elbow for the inlet manifold

I now have a x-flow crankcase breather thingy - now I'm looking for the 90-degree connector for the Weber DGV inlet manifold.

Anyone have one they don't want, or know what it's called, and who would sell it?

Thanks.

joneh

posted on 12/9/20 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I now have a x-flow crankcase breather thingy - now I'm looking for the 90-degree connector for the Weber DGV inlet manifold.

Anyone have one they don't want, or know what it's called, and who would sell it?

Thanks.

Got a picture? I've got the remains of a xflow here, less block, the breather thingy and inlet manifold and carb. Might have any other bits you need.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 12/9/20 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Burton do them, the straight and 90 degree are quite cheap. You can also get them from anywhere (once I can remember the size). The 135 degree connector is stupid price.
David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/20 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I tried a search on Burton's website, but I failed due to not knowing the correct name...

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 12/9/20 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I found the expensive 135 degree which is out of stock but .... It tells you the fitting, so you can look elsewhere for straight or 90 as I can't find them on the site

https://www.burtonpower.com/vacuum-union-1-4npt-135-deg-elbow-fp472.html

steve m

posted on 12/9/20 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
David,

I made my breather connections using 15mm copper pipe fittings, when i was running the twin 40's
but discarded all of it, and just vented into a bottle, from the cam cover, and pop off valve
I never reconnected it when i went back to the 28/36 Dcd fire starter carb

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/20 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the puppy, found for me by Joneh:

ebay

But there is NO WAY that I'm going to pay that money for it!

As I now know what they're called, I found that Burtons have this union that appears to be the right thing.

I'll check sizes tomorrow.

[Edited on 12/9/20 by David Jenkins]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 12/9/20 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry. I thought you were after the vacuum not water. Again, I'd but it from a hose supplier of Burton don't have it. I've got a spare in the garage. I can look who supplied it if you need a supplier name.
steve m

posted on 13/9/20 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Its the same thread as a brass plumbing thread, and thats what i used, with a crimp and nut with a piece of 15mm pipe,
then normal heating hose to the top of the water pump,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rusty nuts

posted on 13/9/20 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
David, I might have a straight one if that’s any help? I’m away for a couple of weeks though.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 15/9/20 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Found the burton ones for reference,

p45 of the 2020 catalogue.

FP477 straight 3/8 NPT (billet machined) £9.95
FP478 90 degree elbow 3/8 NPT £7.90
FP479 135 degree elbow 3/8 NPT £51.60 (no thats not a typo)

Also Vaccum take off
FSECFTU10 Straight 1/4 BSPF £3.25

All prices include VAT at 20%

David Jenkins

posted on 15/9/20 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks MikeR - but I had found those (see my previous post).

...but the kind thought is appreciated!

David Jenkins

posted on 23/9/20 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
...and, I was wrong!

It is 1/4NPT - I finally took the current blanking plug out and measured it. I found a useful guide on a website that gave both the actual dimensions and offered a quick hint: the actual diameter of most NPT threads is roughly the nominal diameter (1/4 in this case) plus 1/4. The plug is a fraction over 12.5mm or 1/2 inch, so it's 1/4 NPT.

I found a tidy 90-degree union in the Burton Power website, so I ordered one of them.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 23/9/20 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
So when do we get to see what you've been doing?

And is this in a ford manifold or a Weber manifold or something else?

David Jenkins

posted on 23/9/20 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I like being mysterious...

I kept it quiet because I know that some people would criticise, or keep recommending that I do something else (like a pair of twin webers). I know what I want, and I intend to do it.

All I'm doing is putting a Weber 32/36DVG carb back on my x-flow engine - the bike carbs are fine, but the intake roar is formidable when accelerating, and I can watch the fuel gauge drop while I'm doing it. I just want something that's easy to drive - something tame, really. Also, the cost of getting 4 bike carbs tuned is quite high (well over £200, maybe as much £300) from my local reputable rolling road, mostly due to the hours involved in stripping each carb down, rebuilding, testing, round and round until done.

Originally I had a Weber on my car when I first drove it, but that was a knackered old thing - even so, it was more than lively enough. I fitted the bike carbs because of the need to replace the tired old weber, and enjoyed doing that conversion. I've already had the current (new) Weber on the car before now and had it tuned, but unfortunately the tuner was on the arrogant side and tuned the engine for the track, rather than the road. This made it a bit of a PITA at low revs. At least tuning the weber again is a much simpler (and cheaper) process. This carb also works very well on a lightly-tuned x-flow.

I've got everything set up with connectors etc. so that I can swap the carbs in less than an hour, including all the controls and fuel feeds.

I also want to replace the oil catch tank that I installed because of the bike carbs with a PCV valve that feeds into the manifold, as in the original installation. Nowhere near an ideal setup for power, but very, very simple. My current catch tank never worked very well anyway...

I plan to hang on to the bike carbs for a while as I might change my mind again!

Deckman001

posted on 23/9/20 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David,
I have used Suzuki GSXR 600SRAD carbs on mine, and they run very well now. The set up is std and even though they allow a slight pop and bang while warming up they run very well and allow the engine to rev like a bike and the sound is ok as far as I know( no iva yet )
They are very easy to take off as a whole set and then remove the bottom bowl of each. there are only two jets that I can find in mine, and one is fixed so can't be adjusted or cleaned. The idle though does need to be kept clean, and having cleaned mine twice, since having dirty fuel in them, they run very well now indeed.

Jason

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 23/9/20 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
David you need to fit dcoes

I get where you're coming from & as long as no one else gets hurt do your own thing if it makes you happy.

I've got an idiotic plan to fit dcoes but not add fuel to them, make a steel inlet manifold and fit injectors to that. The hope is I then have retro looking fuel injection.

Until it works, I've got a standard dgv ..... I may (when I get round to it) even IVA with the dgv.

David Jenkins

posted on 23/9/20 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
MikeR, you may be surprised by the DGV - I used to be able to squeak the back tyres in almost every gear with the original carb, even though it hadn't been on a rolling road. I think this was due to the acceleration jet squirting a pulse of fuel down the spout whenever I floored the pedal rapidly. The bike carbs do give loads of power and also a very good low-end performance, but I never get the same kick on initial acceleration - those carbs just don't have that 'feature'.

Don't worry though - as I said above, the bike carbs may get refitted in the future!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.