Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Araldite or super glue?
johnH20

posted on 14/1/18 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Araldite or super glue?

This is a Locost question of a different kind! I have domestic tap in my French holiday home which has failed. The tap is a mixer that utilises up/down ( on/off ) with rotational side to side ( hot/cold ) movements. This has failed where the lever meets the central spherical control. Needless to say spares are unavailable. Rather than employ a French plumber to source and fit a replacement tap ( mega Euros ) I am looking to a Locost repair solution. The lever has failed due to corrosion / fatigue at the attachment to the ball joint where the section is approx. 1 mm thick. The lever is chrome plated zinc alloy as far as I can tell.
I have cleaned the part with formic acid and used a Dremel to remove all corrosion. My plan is to superglue the two pieces together across the narrow section and then reinforce with some 1 mm stainless steel plates over the joint. The question is what adhesive should I use for this? Potential issues include thermal expansion, chemical adhesion as well as shear strength. Answers on a postcard as they say, TIA.

froggy

posted on 14/1/18 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Innotec topfix black , weapon of choice at my garage for gluing anything that gets warm etc , probably loads of similar ones about but it goes off very quickly and touch wood not had anything fail yet

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/1/18 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not replace the tap yourself? The monobloc taps are available from £15 upwards (but buy a decent branded one, still cheap especially off ebay etc or £40ish from screwfix/toolstation)
Fitting is straightforward, especially if you spend a fiver on a set of tap box spanners to get to the awkward to access nut. A deep socket set may well do the trick, the nuts are usually 8-11mm and from what I have seen virtually everything is fitted with screw-in flexi hoses.

BenB

posted on 15/1/18 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
C'est un job pour la JB weld n'est pas?
Mash

posted on 15/1/18 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Can you not replace the tap yourself? The monobloc taps are available from £15 upwards (but buy a decent branded one, still cheap especially off ebay etc or £40ish from screwfix/toolstation)
Fitting is straightforward, especially if you spend a fiver on a set of tap box spanners to get to the awkward to access nut. A deep socket set may well do the trick, the nuts are usually 8-11mm and from what I have seen virtually everything is fitted with screw-in flexi hoses.

x2, buy a tap here, take it over there, fit it, job's a good un

Even if you have to do a bit of "locost" to make it fit, you'll still end up with a better tap....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.