Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine stand - worth investing?
jps

posted on 29/4/16 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Engine stand - worth investing?

I see Machine Mart have a bit of a deal on this weekend - my next job is really servicing my Pinto (hopefully just that) - then doing the same to the gearbox.

I had intended to do this separate to the chassis, thinking it'd be easier - but is it worth me spending £85 on one? Or should I just drop the engine and box into the car and work on them from there (no panels on the chassis yet - although that's the other job I want to do next too!)?

v8kid

posted on 29/4/16 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yup I bought one - worth every penny. Because its easier to access at working height you can do a better job

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 29/4/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I rebuilt my Pinto on a B&D Workmate, which was already to hand. As above it was then at the right height and easier to work on. As to an engine stand, the issue for me would the space to store something that "should" get very little use.

40inches

posted on 29/4/16 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
They make life so much easier, doing jobs like fitting sumps are a doddle with the engine upside down
Description
Description
Description
Description

I used the cheapest Clark stand ,was more than man enough for the Jaguar V6.
I was contemplating selling it for £35, carriage might be expensive though

Slimy38

posted on 29/4/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Is this of any use to you?

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/engine-stands/es1000-450kg-engine-stand

Possibly a bit easier to justify if it's half the price...

DJT

posted on 29/4/16 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Found mine very useful. Especailly when working on the bottom end and when you want to keep things clean.

Normally around £50 though.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

myke pocock

posted on 29/4/16 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
They all come apart and are no problem storing so that shouldnt be an issue.
big_wasa

posted on 29/4/16 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I like engines so I have two. There is usually somthing on them
loggyboy

posted on 29/4/16 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt spend £85 on one - you can get them in Machine mart for about £50-60 and else where for even less.

Mistral Motorsport

sdh2903

posted on 29/4/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yes they are well worth having. I got one for 40 quid here:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/es1000-450kg-engine-stand

What deals are at machinemart? Am still waiting for a vat free code to order a new tool box

steve m

posted on 29/4/16 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I bought the Machine mart cheapy one, was about £45, it makes any engine work very easy,
it has 3 bolts, that when undone, the whole thing is easy to store,

ive used mine for gearbox work as well.

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pewe

posted on 29/4/16 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
A word of warning - if you do buy one ensure you know where the balance point is when releasing/turning it for the first time.
The short bar supplied in no way is sufficient to counteract an out of balance engine once it starts to go - ask me how I know!
Practically took my helpers arm off....
No doubt others will offer suggestions to make sure this doesn't happen....
Cheers, Pewe

rusty nuts

posted on 29/4/16 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
if you get the three wheeled type cut a piece of ply so that it lays on the three legs so that you can place an oil drain bowl underneath when stripping a used engine. Also I found the wheels to be poor , a passing supermarket trolley donated a set of wheels but a pair of locking wheels would be better as it tends to move against any torque applied to the engine.
jps

posted on 29/4/16 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, the SGS one looks a better price, just trying to bump it up to the free delivery point now!
DJT

posted on 29/4/16 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
A word of warning - if you do buy one ensure you know where the balance point is when releasing/turning it for the first time.
The short bar supplied in no way is sufficient to counteract an out of balance engine once it starts to go - ask me how I know!
Practically took my helpers arm off....
No doubt others will offer suggestions to make sure this doesn't happen....
Cheers, Pewe

I suffered this. Engine spun round, lucky didn't trash the throttle bodies, but clean sheared one of the manifold studs off before coming to rest. Eeeeek!

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

Benzine

posted on 29/4/16 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I spent £5 on making one - steel and castors from the scrapyard. Nice easy quick project to do and copes with a straight six diesel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Adamirish

posted on 29/4/16 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Most definitely. When I rebuilt the Xflow I bought one off eBay. Was about £45 posted iirc. The beauty is, the front leg folds up when not in use so doesn't actually take up much space at all. It has braked wheels and is Very strong too.

The only downside of an engine stand is you can't really do anything on the flywheel end of the engine. Changing crank seals etc it will need to go on a bench.

As mentioned above though, be wary when spinning the engine over on the stand, years ago, I very nearly took my finger off. The engine span over and jammed my finger between the bar and the upright. My advice would be spin it over holding the engine rather than the crappy little bar.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

steve m

posted on 30/4/16 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I mounted my xflow, on the four engine mount holes on the side to build the engine, crank and flywheel
then turned it round to mount it on the gearbox mounts once the flywheels assembly was finished

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

sprintB+

posted on 30/4/16 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't got one, I build everything on the floor, I do tend to drop things, not far to fall that way. But if I had one I'd wonder why I never had one years back. Same with engine hoist, I struggle and struggle until its done, why? I have no idea. At 65 I feel its to late to spend the money on things I never used in the past, or is that just being tight? Plus all that humping and struggling keeps me fit, better then aerobics in lycra.
Phil_1471

posted on 30/4/16 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Just balance it on stuff... We use bits of wood, axle stands etc it's cheaper!

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

sdh2903

posted on 30/4/16 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil_1471
Just balance it on stuff... We use bits of wood, axle stands etc it's cheaper

Until it gets knocked over and becomes much more expensive!!

40inches

posted on 30/4/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sprintB+
or is that just being tight?

Correct

David Jenkins

posted on 30/4/16 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
As mentioned above though, be wary when spinning the engine over on the stand, years ago, I very nearly took my finger off. The engine span over and jammed my finger between the bar and the upright. My advice would be spin it over holding the engine rather than the crappy little bar.

I have a 4ft length of steel tube that fits over the handle - I can take the weight on that, pull out the pin, then ease the engine into the position I want.

jps

posted on 5/9/16 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I spent £5 on making one - steel and castors from the scrapyard. Nice easy quick project to do and copes with a straight six diesel

Just got my hands on a small pile of scrap box section - so am going to try knocking one up myself. Any hints/tips on the bit that you actually attach the engine to? Google images shows me a lot of them have a plate of 6(?)mm or similar with slotted holes in - but i'm wondering how the whole 'swivel' bit works...?

loggyboy

posted on 5/9/16 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Just got my hands on a small pile of scrap box section - so am going to try knocking one up myself. Any hints/tips on the bit that you actually attach the engine to? Google images shows me a lot of them have a plate of 6(?)mm or similar with slotted holes in - but i'm wondering how the whole 'swivel' bit works...?

Swivel is a large dia (circa 80mm?) tube within a tube. outer tube mounted to frame, inner tube mounted to the bracket/plate with a handle on once side.
Then you have holes drilled through both tubes (usually at 90degrees) to allow you to fix at certain rotation points.

Mistral Motorsport

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.