Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine stand - worth investing?
Schrodinger

posted on 5/9/16 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
One thing using an engine stand I was told by an engine tuner was that you should not turn the engine upside down to remove the sump as all of the crud will drain down into the oilways and may cause a lot of damage so take the sump off with the engine up the right way.

Keith
Aviemore

jps

posted on 6/9/16 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Swivel is a large dia (circa 80mm?) tube within a tube. outer tube mounted to frame, inner tube mounted to the bracket/plate with a handle on once side.
Then you have holes drilled through both tubes (usually at 90degrees) to allow you to fix at certain rotation points.

Cheers - never seen one in the flesh and had wondered if they were 'any angle' - if it's just at 90deg turns I can see it's much easier to rig that up. Just need to find somewhere local I can womble the appropriate bits of round tube from now!

loggyboy

posted on 6/9/16 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Cheers - never seen one in the flesh and had wondered if they were 'any angle' - if it's just at 90deg turns I can see it's much easier to rig that up. Just need to find somewhere local I can womble the appropriate bits of round tube from now!

No they spin 360 degrees, the one I have just has holes drilled allowing it to be held at 90degree intervals. I suspect others have more intervals, some ive seen even have a mechanism to turn and hold them.

Mistral Motorsport

coyoteboy

posted on 6/9/16 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine for 45 from machine mart a while back, holds my V8 no problem. The only problem I ever have with engine stands is the ability to fit the clutch is gone unless you invest in spacers and some very long threaded rod.

The improvement over just balancing it on stuff and working on it in the car is night and day - so much nicer to do, you can work on it sat on a seat with a cuppa and good lighting, knowing it won't topple and you're not damaging studs/mounting faces.

coyoteboy

posted on 6/9/16 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
One thing using an engine stand I was told by an engine tuner was that you should not turn the engine upside down to remove the sump as all of the crud will drain down into the oilways and may cause a lot of damage so take the sump off with the engine up the right way.

Agreed. Though that depends what you're doing with it - if you're stripping and dipping the whole engine it won't really matter much!

jps

posted on 23/1/18 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I spent £5 on making one

In the end - I have done the same! :-D Pretty pleased with myself (although that may be famous last words as I have not yet mounted an engine on it). However I have hung off the mounting arms myself and I weigh about 85-90kg so I reckon it'll be OK with the Pinto on it. Hoping to get it bolted up this weekend.

Description
Description

gaz_gaz

posted on 23/1/18 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I bought 1 of these for £35 delivered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121441172222

took a fully dressed S2000 engine without any drama. I wheeled it around in and out the garage to clean the engine.

Was also easy to spin the engine over on my own.

Chubz

posted on 23/1/18 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
definitely worth investing in one, saves having to keep tipping the engine about and scratching the sump about when its on the floor
easier to build an engine on a stand than on the floor. lol

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 24/1/18 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I re-assembled my Pinto on a B&D Workmate. My Dad's also re-assembled E-Type straight 6s and a Chevy V8 on it too. It was already there (cheap) and can be used for other jobs before/after the engine work (versatile). I suspect a lot of people buy and engine stand use it once then leave it in the corner of maybe sell it on.

WallerZero

posted on 24/1/18 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I bought one for 35 quid, used it for my needs then sold it on once finished as I needed space back.

Now I need one again so probably buy a new one and then sell again. Think I sold it for £25 but the guy came with £30 and didn't bother waiting for his £5 change lol. Can't hire one for 9 months for a fiver

Cheapest option is buy a 2nd hand one and sell it on. Most likely break even on it. Or find a mate to loan you one

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 24/1/18 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Slightly on/off topic, but I've got a Clarke engine stand that I no longer have need of (if anyone is still looking for one) - it's one of these but minus the little storage tray on the side. I'd like £45 for it, collected.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

mcerd1

posted on 24/1/18 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I re-assembled my Pinto on a B&D Workmate. My Dad's also re-assembled E-Type straight 6s and a Chevy V8 on it too. It was already there (cheap) and can be used for other jobs before/after the engine work (versatile). I suspect a lot of people buy and engine stand use it once then leave it in the corner of maybe sell it on.
re-built + painted short block
re-built + painted short block

I'd agree stands are not a necessity, but they do make life easier

pinto block after
pinto block after
pinto block after 2
pinto block after 2

only you can decide if that is worth ~£40+
they are also good for holding gearboxes too....

[Edited on 24/1/2018 by mcerd1]

-

steve m

posted on 24/1/18 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I am in the camp, of yes buy one, and use it!

I spent about 35 years with out using a stand, and got on with lugging engines, and gearboxs about on my own, lifting them
onto workmates or benches etc, all fine when there in bits, but once all together nigh on impossible to move on your own

Ive rebuilt two engines, and a couple of gearboxs using mine now, ive lent mine out, as well

For the sake of £45, they are worth the expense and something I wish I had bought years ago !!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.