Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: garage door opening to small
KitCatE1

posted on 3/10/17 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
garage door opening to small

Hi All but of a dilemma and where better to as than here, my current garage door has had it, who ever built the garage clearly messed up their measurements as the opening height is just over 85inch one side and 85.5 inch the other so they fitted a 6.6 high door and boarded up the gap above.

The opening was clearly designed for a 7x7 door and looks silly as it is. I have found a bargain of a door just down the road from me its 7x7 and the frame is literally 1 inch to 1.5 inch too large. The lintel is a steel RSJ so no moving that but could i grind the concrete floor to fit it to no ill affect?

nick205

posted on 3/10/17 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Would that not result in a trough to gather rainwater at the lower edge of the door?
loggyboy

posted on 3/10/17 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Can you back fix it? Loose a bit of space but its a common way to install garage doors.

Mistral Motorsport

KitCatE1

posted on 3/10/17 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
A picture speaks a thousand words fitting it internally would look even worse and loose a foot off the garage the rain water is my biggest concern. they even fitted a cat flap the garage dosent even have access to the house

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 3/10/17 by KitCatE1]

jps

posted on 3/10/17 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Seems like the only logical options are:
1 - make the hole bigger - I'd assume you'll just end up with a channel that collects water and other gunk - which will rust out the bottom of the door
2- make the door (and frame) smaller - are the doors just plain steel? Could you 'just' trim the door, refold the bottom and weld up the edges/etc?

mike.williams1

posted on 3/10/17 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a roller door
KitCatE1

posted on 3/10/17 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike.williams1
Fit a roller door

I would if i had a spare 500-600 quid even thats not straight forward because of the awkward lintel anyway

KitCatE1

posted on 3/10/17 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Can you back fix it? Loose a bit of space but its a common way to install garage doors.

Just looked again and id only loose a couple of inch and i think that might just work guess i could paint the unsightly lintel

Description
Description

nick205

posted on 3/10/17 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KitCatE1
quote:

Just looked again and id only loose a couple of inch and i think that might just work guess i could paint the unsightly lintel

Description
Description

Looking at that photo it makes me wonder if the steel could be raised or perhaps made shallower. Probably a more expensive route overall though.

We replaced our old sectional garage door a couple of years back with a single panel Hormann up n' over door. From memory the hole was 7' tall and 7' 6" wide. The door was made to fit the hole, but overall it wasn't killer expensive to have done. A roller door would have been nice, but was quite a bit more money. Could be worth getting a local garage door company to quote for supply and fitting. Our fitter removed and disposed of the old door saving me quite a bit of effort.

KitCatE1

posted on 3/10/17 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
quote:

Description
Description

Looking at that photo it makes me wonder if the steel could be raised or perhaps made shallower. Probably a more expensive route overall though.

We replaced our old sectional garage door a couple of years back with a single panel Hormann up n' over door. From memory the hole was 7' tall and 7' 6" wide. The door was made to fit the hole, but overall it wasn't killer expensive to have done. A roller door would have been nice, but was quite a bit more money. Could be worth getting a local garage door company to quote for supply and fitting. Our fitter removed and disposed of the old door saving me quite a bit of effort.

I’ve looked into just about every option and can’t bring myself to pay someone to do it, installing it behind the lintel is by far the easiest and straight forward solution the door is costing me £100 delivered and virtually brand new I’ll just get one of the local lads to collect the old door to weight in that should give my nosey neighbors something to stare at

posted on 4/10/17 at 03:43 AM Reply With Quote
I have a sheet metal door and concrete that has a slight fall to the side.

I cut the bottom of the door and pop riveted it back on to allow for the slope.

Didn't even need to repaint it.

Paul G

nick205

posted on 4/10/17 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Description
Description

I’ve looked into just about every option and can’t bring myself to pay someone to do it, installing it behind the lintel is by far the easiest and straight forward solution the door is costing me £100 delivered and virtually brand new I’ll just get one of the local lads to collect the old door to weight in that should give my nosey neighbors something to stare at

Good call - £100 for the door seems to good an opportunity to miss. They don't weigh a great deal, but you should get a few £s for weighing in the old one.

When removing and fitting PLEASE take care with the spring and wires! Not done it myself, but I do understand there's potential for injuring yourself with them.

KitCatE1

posted on 4/10/17 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Description
Description

Thanks, that was one of the problems with the old door the spring snapped loosing all the tension sounded like a bomb had gone off in the garage been having to lift it manually good exercise not exactly practical though

Good call - £100 for the door seems to good an opportunity to miss. They don't weigh a great deal, but you should get a few £s for weighing in the old one.

When removing and fitting PLEASE take care with the spring and wires! Not done it myself, but I do understand there's potential for injuring yourself with them.

steve m

posted on 4/10/17 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had to change the spring and mountings on one side of my parents triple garage door back in the 80's and it wasn't a pleasant job, as it had snapped, and my Mother said that it had sounded like a bomb had gone off in the garage, and they couldn't find the cause of the explosion, until Mum and Dad tried and failed to lift the garage door up in the morning to get her car out,

I was called again, and will admit that a triple door with one side knackered was a real pita to lift up!

I also have looked at roller garage doors, and may fit one soon, as it would give me about another 4"/100mm each side to get my car in, and with enough space to walk down one side, also the security and remote features would be a benifit

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

KitCatE1

posted on 4/10/17 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
luckly mine is just a single and the idiots selling it have just messaged me saying its no longer available after all that
Mash

posted on 5/10/17 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Oh well, saved you some work Mate

My vote would have been in the "trim the bottom of the door" camp. As previously said, cut off with jig saw bend and re-rivet.

Did it myself with a Ifor williams back for my Land rover double cab. Was intended for a 90, which had a load bed 6" longer, so out came the jig saw, re-pop-rivetted the frame back on the end and Robert's you mother's brother, couldn't tell it had been done

KitCatE1

posted on 5/10/17 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just using the broken door at the moment I’ve cut off the wires connected to the cones on the broken spring lifting it manually and drilled a hole either side of the door frame through the guide track into the brick to just slide some large pegs in to hold the door up bit redneck but safe and probably more secure to, if anyone broke in the door would land on their head

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.