Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Teflon sheet die cutting
Slimy38

posted on 21/10/18 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Teflon sheet die cutting

One of the things I wanted to do is make some teflon washers for the sides of the suspension bushes. These would be circular washers, the inside and outside diameters would match the rubber bush. I'm hoping this would reduce squeaking or other potential issues as the suspension moves.

Since the teflon sheet will be quite thin a hand die cutter would do but I've no idea what I'm googling to find what I'm after. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some kit that would help me do this?

Oh, and yes I suspect a pencil and some time with a pair of scissors would get me a similar result, but with potentially 64 washers to cut I'd rather just punch them out!!

gremlin1234

posted on 21/10/18 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think a couple of chassis punches may do what you want. (one for each outside and inside )
https://www.frost.co.uk/sheet-metal-round-hole-punches.html
edit
aka https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_punch

[Edited on 21/10/18 by gremlin1234]

Slimy38

posted on 21/10/18 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
I think a couple of chassis punches may do what you want. (one for each outside and inside )
https://www.frost.co.uk/sheet-metal-round-hole-punches.html
edit
aka https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_punch

[Edited on 21/10/18 by gremlin1234]

Ah yes, perfect! I don't need the ability to cut through metal, but the shape is spot on. Thank you.

craigdiver

posted on 21/10/18 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have used this wad punch set and very useful (if size big enough)

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht528-10pce-wad-punch-set/

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

02GF74

posted on 29/10/18 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
For 64 of that is a lot of work.

I would attempt making a hole cutter that fits in a drill press, assuming that the sheet is thin and easy to cut.

I don't know what they are called but these are available off the shelf but only do one hole.

Basically it is a horizontal bar spinning round with two blades, can be made from an old hacksaw blade sharpened, the blade for the hole being longer so that gets cut out before the washer outer.

Slimy38

posted on 29/10/18 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

I would attempt making a hole cutter that fits in a drill press, assuming that the sheet is thin and easy to cut.

I don't know what they are called but these are available off the shelf but only do one hole.

Basically it is a horizontal bar spinning round with two blades, can be made from an old hacksaw blade sharpened, the blade for the hole being longer so that gets cut out before the washer outer.

Unfortunately it's too thin for anything that turns. It's one up from a sheet of paper. Having said that, I did have a drill press in mind, just not turning!! Those wad punches look ideal, mount one of those in a chuck and use something relatively soft as a back plate, then I'd be sorted.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/10/18 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not sharpen a pipe end and use it as a punch?

Locost...

[Edited on 10/29/2018 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 30/10/18 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Unfortunately it's too thin for anything that turns. It's one up from a sheet of paper. Having said that, I did have a drill press in mind, just not turning!! Those wad punches look ideal, mount one of those in a chuck and use something relatively soft as a back plate, then I'd be sorted.

You could trap (clamps/screws) between two sheets of MFD then use hole saw...

Slimy38

posted on 30/10/18 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Could you not sharpen a pipe end and use it as a punch?

Locost...

[Edited on 10/29/2018 by Angel Acevedo]

Now that's an interesting idea...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.