Board logo

steering shake
legend - 4/9/17 at 08:41 PM

hi on my old westfield se i am getting shaking on steering wheel over rough / uneven roads is this the same as bump steer or normal? have no play in suspension bushes or ball joints what would u set toe to?

pekwah1 - 5/9/17 at 08:13 AM

obvious questions are:

1. how long have you had the car?
2. is this a new symptom or always been like this?
3. have you driven other 7 cars and experienced anything different?

From my own experience, the 7's will naturally want to steer you all over the place when you find uneven road due to the lack of weight/power steering etc, but this is not to be confused with other problems around suspension or wheels such as tracking issues, wheel balancing issues etc.

Give us a bit more info and i'm sure we can help you out!

gremlin1234 - 5/9/17 at 09:38 AM

what tyre pressures are you using?

procomp - 5/9/17 at 11:45 AM

Hi.
Set toe to 0.5mm - 1mm in for road use.

But if its actual shake on the steering wheel your feeling it will be wheel balance or damaged wheel rim.

Cheers Matt

rusty nuts - 5/9/17 at 06:49 PM

Probably worth jacking the car up and spinning the front wheels checking for damaged rims or possibly tyres out of shape especial if the tyres are old . Tyre age is normally shown as a four digit code , the first two digits tell the week number (01 to 52 ) and the second the year of. manufacture.

nick205 - 6/9/17 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi.
Set toe to 0.5mm - 1mm in for road use.

But if its actual shake on the steering wheel your feeling it will be wheel balance or damaged wheel rim.

Cheers Matt

My thoughts too - suggests an out of balance rim/tyre combination. Have you lost a balance weight maybe?

adithorp - 6/9/17 at 02:02 PM

Wouldn't expect wheel/tyre damage or wheel balance issue to only be "over rough / uneven roads"

OP is it only then and not on good roads and is this a new problem that you haven't had before?